Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

Smiley

I hope this question has not been asked a thousand times before. My ‘free’ online security package has expired, what is the best and free anti-virus software, firewall and spy wear around? And is there one that will do everything?

Cheers

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It's been asked pretty often. Search GD using the search function at the top of the page, and you'll get plenty of answers.

Short answers: nothing does it all. Avast and AVG are common freeware AV tools. Many of us swear by Spybot and AdAware for spyware protection. And ZoneAlarm is a common firewall. There are others... and more...

Start there and see what happens.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I second everything what Bungleau said.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Nothing more to say or do than to join the fan base that supports Bungleau's post.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

The search function works now?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Have you tried it this millennium?

<<< Mandatory humor / sarcasm smiley

[ 12-30-2006, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Anti-V, if you have a job with a good employer, access your corpaorate website, and download their employee version of Symantec Norton Anti-V. If not, then your stuck with the others as posted above.

Firewall: What do you want to do?
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
Test your setup first. Do not be alarmed at this site, it is safe, and allows you the knowledge of what others know about you. Use the "ShieldsUp" and test your setup. If you are running "Full Stealth, and have no open ports" then you are inbound protected. Enough for most people. However, if you wander over to the "LeakTest", this will show you if your outbound can either contain or not contain malware from you. ~What does that mean? If you have a malware attack, and you are a clone to the attacker, you will provide outbound source WITHOUT your knowledge. This is WHERE the false sense of security is laid on the line. Both free and Paid versions of Zonealarm pass, So does the heavy Norton!

In a nutshell!
1. Just inbound protect from the outside?
A. If you have a modern high speed connection, with a suppled cable/DSL modem you are protected.
B. Dial up? Then the Windows XP provided firewall will protect you from the outside.

2. Do you really want to control your firewall, and what happens both from within, and outside of your PC?
A. Then you need a two way firewall. The Zonealarm free version is adequate for the home/common user. The pay for Pro is the shiznick!
B. There are others listed above, however, Symantec is a "heavy" firewall, but, will provide you with a plethora of options and settings.

"Caution" A two way firewall must be set to "LEARN" your habits. Therefore, it is imperative that you DO NOT set it for automatic. You want to know what is going out, and you want to control it, if not, why bother?

"Caution" A two way firewall 'MAY' break a connection from an establsihed resource. Example being...A router attached to your high speed modem. The router needs to 'establish a inbound and outbound connection with "ALL" PCs attached to it. If not, you may notice a slight degradation in traffic, and you may lose the router location in your "Connections" view. However, most of the lighter two way firewalls allow for this to be configured 'easily' enough, others are not as forgiving.

To add the final product to your personal arsenal, you need to head over to M$ and download and use their 'Windows Defender'.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Combine all of the above, and you can consider yourself protected from most common attacks. However, Linux.........

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hehe, Gotta say, that I agree with Felix's post entirely, and I give him a big thumbs up for not mentioning Linux (it would be fine too, but I can see an argument starting [img]smile.gif[/img] )

But I would have to say I disagree with Windows defender, that thing is useless
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
But I would have to say I disagree with Windows defender, that thing is useless
Really? Please do expound!
I use this on the spousal units Dell, and to 'me', it's better than others. What am I missing?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Best place to learn about security matters is at
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

The free firewall of the moment is Comodo. I would really recommend paying for NOD32 AV.