Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2001, 01:58 PM   #11
ShadowUK

Kensi's are just plain boring even without duel classing them,
they just get way two powerfull 9as do monks) when they get to high levels........

------------------
Old 05-08-2001, 02:05 PM   #12
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Its unrealistic to have a guy that fights with a sword and also cast spells but its IS realistic to have dragons, faeries, and pagan gods that give you the power to ressurect dead people? oooooooookay then.

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:08 PM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

what memnoch said, powergaming over roleplaying. you choose. a party with korgan viconia and edwin, or a very comfy party but worthless? thats the whole point of this.

------------------

I am Bahamut... and this Chiharu.
Old 05-08-2001, 06:07 PM   #14
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

you hate kensai/mage, so what? whats wrong with it? don't play it if you cannot come up with a good background
Old 05-08-2001, 06:36 PM   #15
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
caled,its DND,so yes in DND all that can happen,but there are still limts

and Xod,sure you can learn magic and weild a sword,even if you are a god child,you are still human (or dwarf or whatever).But it is not possible to become that good with a sword while still get up to 8 level mage spells,and of course Imoen did theifery and mage spells,that brings us back to the Rping aspect,she could just leanred theifing while being michivious,isnt that hard,you can learn magery while doing that no prob,but kensai to becoem good as they are,myust take hours upon hours and days,they woudlnt have time too to become mages,it takes just as much time to to become a mage
Old 05-08-2001, 06:50 PM   #16
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
caled,its DND,so yes in DND all that can happen,but there are still limts

and Xod,sure you can learn magic and weild a sword,even if you are a god child,you are still human (or dwarf or whatever).But it is not possible to become that good with a sword while still get up to 8 level mage spells,and of course Imoen did theifery and mage spells,that brings us back to the Rping aspect,she could just leanred theifing while being michivious,isnt that hard,you can learn magery while doing that no prob,but kensai to becoem good as they are,myust take hours upon hours and days,they woudlnt have time too to become mages,it takes just as much time to to become a mage

well, i am smart enough, whats up with that? I know all magic of any school, darkest arcane knowledge, mathematics, physics, Taoism, Buddism, Ying Yang Tai-Ki, Kung Fu, musical instrument, Vamperism, Hebru, Monglian, Hinduism, Ta-Kwan-Dao, Nine Ying Skeleton Hand, Eight Diagram, compuer science, astrology, arcitetchure... whats up???
Old 05-08-2001, 07:03 PM   #17
TheDutkanator

Remember the term is "dual-class" not multi-class. You *DO* spend ALL of your time focusing on your skills as a kensai. Then, you stop and focus ALL your time on magic (or vice versa). Haven't you people ever heard of a mid-life crisis? How about a change of heart? What if you were forced to start as 1 class and finally overcame that and changed to another? There are a number of possibilities here and, though you could get an overpowering character, it is far from unrealistic to see a Kensai/mage! I love these guys! They are especially good for newbies, not to mention old pros their 1st (or 100th!) time through.

Does every single game you play have to be a challenge? Why not play a class you haven't done, or wouldn't normally do, and have them kick a little ass!

Too easy?! BAH!! Try using a kensai/mage with your difficulty turned all the way up. After you've tried this, then we'll talk about it being too easy.

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 05-08-2001, 07:05 PM   #18
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDutkanator:
Remember the term is "dual-class" not multi-class. You *DO* spend ALL of your time focusing on your skills as a kensai. Then, you stop and focus ALL your time on magic (or vice versa). Haven't you people ever heard of a mid-life crisis? How about a change of heart? What if you were forced to start as 1 class and finally overcame that and changed to another? There are a number of possibilities here and, though you could get an overpowering character, it is far from unrealistic to see a Kensai/mage! I love these guys! They are especially good for newbies, not to mention old pros their 1st (or 100th!) time through.

exactly my point! mid life crisis. I have at least a dozen stories about how a kensai turned out to study magic
Old 05-14-2001, 02:40 AM   #19
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

If it's a big deal about a Kensai/Mage, then why not the unchallenged fighter/magic-user of D&D? Is it bad becuase it's better? The Kensai kit fits naturally with the mage more than any other class. In the "mid-life crisis", he is unconcerned about the lack of armor during his change, it is natural for him. A kensai is intelligent and detail oriented, perhaps focusing more on the vascular anatomy of his opponent than a reckless rage. Maybe more calculating about the position of the crucial last two inches of his katana as it arcs across the now dead enemy's throat than smashing a twenty pound hammer clumsily across a breastplate. His intensity is driven into himself and his timing between the opponents blows rather than at his opponent. A kensai is unlike the other fighters in this respect.

Perhaps the calling of magic tugged at him as his Kai pulled his awareness into the supernatural conciousness around him. Maybe he only yearned to enchant the *perfect* sword. It could be that as he became older, his experience taught him that some battles could not be won by sword alone. As he achieved insight, he might see the natural flow of physical and mental surge and wane, much as those who understand the concept of Yin and Yang might.

Anyway, I like my K/M, and I think it is every bit role-playing valid as an elven fighter/mage.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:42 AM   #20
Cayle
The Magister

I know at least three people in real life that have such an intense, driven personality. The first is a physicist. He was a statistical mechanics theorist for two decades and then changed disciplines to biological physics. He is also runs an experimental group now. This is akin to switching schools as a mage. The second finished her PhD in physics (biophysics) last year. She is now a software developer. The third (and the brother of the second) was also a physicist. Then he became a management consultant and now he is also a software developer. When he decided to become a management consultant, he spent ALL of his free time studying management and economics theory. Now he does the same with OOP.

What all of these people have is intensity and perfectionism. They all changed fields seeking new challenges and because they the professional limitations in their fields. So I could imagine a K/M from a roleplaying aspect.

------------------
- Cayle