Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-08-2004, 08:51 AM   #31
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sedai:

And Revs, you are spot on trying to get those kids some help. But please, if you're gonna take on the responsibility of reporting these people AND if they *do* finally remove the man from the equation, make sure you help the woman all you can (like finding a shelter or financial help) if necessary. [img]smile.gif[/img]
A. she knows where the shelter is.

B. the shelter may not help her because of her felony record, also the damage to their last apt (they claim they didn't do) has put them on the "do not help" list at the salvation army.

C. i need financial help and yet i have to pull teeth just to get paid $30 a week for babysitting. they both have jobs and can easily afford it, but they don't.

D. if he goes down she prolly will too. she is the one that hits the kids, cusses at them, etc. it upsets erilyn to watch her brush her 3yo's hair. it is such a battle that erilyn thinks it will happen when i brush hers. she will literally drag her daughter by the hair, and tell her she doesn't care.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #32
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Yeah, but my point guys is, nobody ever thinks they're hurting anyone! How many people are killed in a year by drunks. How many wives and children are beaten by their husbands-fathers. How many junkies die on the street each year? If the answer is more than one, the price is too high.
Sounds like some of you are trying to justify your actions. Well, if it makes you feel better, fill your boots!
I guess I just get bitter 'cos if people could just drink socially (Europe is better this way) I probably would have the occassional drink. But every Monday morning at our meeting I have to listen to idiots in their 30's and 40's going on about how drunk they got. It's f*ck*** embaracing to me!
Having been born in Germany, it was nothing for my parents to give me a bit of beer, even when I was 5 or 6. I think it's important to allow teens to drink at home, then the element of "sneaking" is gone because the parents already approve.
Drugs are a bit different as some are addictive and some are not.
And honestly, who can say that, at least at first they didn't drink or do drugs in order to fit in? I can't think of anyone who had their first beer and said "wow this tastes really good"! It tastes like sh!t. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] ..still love y'all!
you bring up many good points, however alcoholism and drunk drivers are a problem in every country. personally my beliefs (now) are that all of it is bad. but i can't change my friends with my opinion. so i love them, and if i see a major problem that effects more than their own personal health, i step in and try my best to change things. this is very difficult, to wait and see, since both my grandfathers were alcoholics, the one of which i watched die, for four years he was clean because one more (cigarette, or beer) would kill him. but in the end it was just time.

not all people who drink are alcoholics, but there are many forms of alcoholism, including binge drinking. where you don't drink often but everytime you drink it is heavy heavy heavy. my mom is that person and i almost was. as far as i know my mom no longer binge drinks, i think it is prolly the easiest form to just turn away from, but it is still scary. she never once tried to hide it from us, and i think that is what effected me most.