Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
Senior Frog
Dungeon Master

Ok, I read as many posts as I could search in a timely manner and if I missed any I apologize for asking a repeated question, but that said, here it is.

I just got done beating down Firkraag, and looted a very nice 2handed sword. (I can't remember the name of it) At this time, Minsc is dual wielding the mace of ages and the sleeper.

Considering that he has points in two handed weps, and now maces due to making the mace of ages, and has points in two weapon style, is it a better idea to keep the two maces, or build up points for weilding two handed wepons so he can carry a big stick? Keep in mind my pc is a half-orc berzerker that dualwields longswords and katanas.

BTW, Yes I'm aware that my pc choices are a touch odd but it's an experiment and also my first time through SoA. Just looking for a few opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Demonheart
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Possilbe spoilers
#
##
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

well you may or may not have noticed that the sword you looted from firkraag is usable only by paladins, so minsc won't be using it anytime soon. Personally i don't think the two handed swords in BGII are up to much, unless you are a paladin of course, but that's just my opinion [img]smile.gif[/img]
Demonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Being a big fan of bows from my ime spent north of amn in baldur's gate, i usually equip minsc with the biggest 2-hander i've got available so i dont need to worry about switching weapons/shields out all the time. The usual fight goes something like: creature sighted, whole party launches missile weapons, after that, my tanks wade in and the mages start casting spells. Missile weapons are great for softening up your opponents and as i use them so much i find it annoying to have to change out a shield so often. As such, unless you have a sling, you wont have a shield with me.

ITEM SPOILERS
Two handed swords can be quite nice in SoA, just out of Chateau Irenicus you can get Lilarcor+3, which as well as being highly enchanted also protects against something... confusion?

Also, the sword you found on Firkragg is usable only by paladins. Since this is your first game, i wont tell you where/who it is, but there is only one paladin available unless you are one yourself.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Lilarcor does indeed protect against Confusion.

As for Minsc, he's an excellent dualwielder. With the Flail of Ages + 3 in the one hand, and in the other hand your weapon of choice (you'll bump into a couple of decent ones along the way) he can seriously kick ass.

Good luck!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

What's so odd about a Half-Orc Berserker?

Familiarize yourself with the weapons some more: Minsc will never be able to wield Carsomyr, and the Flail of Ages is a Flail, not a Mace, and the Sleeper uses the Flail proficiency as well.

To answer your actual question, though: Both practices are much the same, as they both lead to Minsc becoming a flank attacker instead of an actual Tank, since the lovely AC bonus that a good Shield can grant is just too good to pass up. Whether you pick up one big sword or two little ones, there's going to be lots of carnage, although in the end, Dual-wielding wins out. Just be very careful where you put those proficiency points: Don't invest them in something you aren't sure you're going to be using.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #6
Senior Frog
Dungeon Master

Good advice. Thanks all and nice to see you again Six. Your site continues to be my BG bible.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

My tanks generally dont take heaps of damage, i usually cast greater malison and then hold/stun/slow spells.

Having said that, i must say that Anomen/Jahiera both make great tanks with thier defensive spells, and can also use their missile weapons with a shield, so i use either/both of those two in my front lines to soak up any damage that may be heading my way. Also, perhaps surprisingly, bards make ok tanks as well, specifically blades. Stoneskin+defensive spin is a nice combo
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote