Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-04-2002, 06:32 AM   #1
Vampire

Yes without a doubt many of you IW forumers who are aware of worldly affairs have heard about the 1st middle east female bomber a week back who was only 18 and blew herself up in a restaurant. Now last night on BBC2 in UK, there was a programme on suicide bombers and one part disturbed me a little. It was how a lil 8 year old girl volunteered herself to be a martyr and ran out of her house at Israelis with a knife. Her mother saw her death letter and ran after her and brought her back.
But to live under constant shelling, be you Jewish or an Arab, must be very damaging to the mind.
Although I think there is no way to solve this problem. As the Isralei foreign minister said: Not all problems have solutions.
Yet this constant steam of suicide attacks is turning the region into a bloodbath. Is there anything we can do (as in the international community) to stip suicide attacks?
Old 04-04-2002, 06:42 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It really is a terrible thing and it is very sad but it really does show how terrible it must b for them and how dedicated they are to trying and change it... unfortunately I dont think there is anything that we can do... unless somehow there was a way that public opinion could stop the fighting ....
Old 04-04-2002, 06:50 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Of course there is, but do we want to do it, and can we agree to do it is the biggest question.

It is sad to see generations going to waste, and even more disturbing to hear the palestinians and Isrealis argue this outside Israel as well, and none is prepaired to take the first step.

Well, if we do, we have to find a middle solution and few will be happy with the result I´m afraid.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 04-04-2002, 06:55 AM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I'd want to think that All problems are not solved with the same solution
Old 04-04-2002, 08:05 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

its a shame that there is things like this.. the only solution i can think of is to cut the entire land and place both of the countries in the far ends of the earth.

[ 04-04-2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-04-2002, 08:25 AM   #6
MagiK

Im still trying to figure out how the whole world cannot see that the Palistinians are sponsoring terrorism just as surely as the taliban was. There seems to me to be a double standard when it comes to Jews being the targets and the rest of the world being targets. Im not Jewish, don't really know any Jews well, but it does seem a tad unfair to me.

Oh and while Im ranting, Im sick of the arab duplicity in the whole Palistinian matter, Syria AND Jordan in their respective turns have masacred tens of thousands of Palistinians to force them out of those countries...but now are all high and mighty about the Israelies doing exactly (well not exactly) what they did.

Old 04-04-2002, 09:56 AM   #7
norompanlasolas

not condoning what the suicide terrorists are doing, i think one has to look at the causes of things. why a 16 year old girl decides to strap on explosives and die killing as much israelis as they can? people have a right to resist. you cant expect to put a gun to somebodys head, occupy their house, sistematically kill their children, and then pretend that nothings happened and be surprised when theres retaliation.

terrorism is ALWAYS a bad thing, and especially when aimed at civilians. but, as i said before, you have to look at things in perspective. for example, terrorism in argentina during the 70s (montoneros, erp, etc) was aimed at the military ruling the country (who murdered more than 30,000 people for their ideas). it was a way of resisting opression, and nowadays people who were in the military are scorned by society (well, most of it), whilst the so called terrorists are worthy of praise.

the israelis with their occupation and represion of the palestinian people, are doing, to an extent, what the nazis did to them. its a broad comparison, but its one that has been made by jose saramago (nobel prize of literature), and that whilst a little broad has its reasons to be. arafat cannot control all of his people, but if he dies or is incarcereted, all of what is left of the peace process will die with him. sharon wants to do just that, obviously, since his ultimate goal is to permanently annex the occupied territorries and that cant happen if a peace agreement is reached.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:24 AM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
not condoning what the suicide terrorists are doing, i think one has to look at the causes of things. why a 16 year old girl decides to strap on explosives and die killing as much israelis as they can? people have a right to resist. you cant expect to put a gun to somebodys head, occupy their house, sistematically kill their children, and then pretend that nothings happened and be surprised when theres retaliation.

terrorism is ALWAYS a bad thing, and especially when aimed at civilians. but, as i said before, you have to look at things in perspective. for example, terrorism in argentina during the 70s (montoneros, erp, etc) was aimed at the military ruling the country (who murdered more than 30,000 people for their ideas). it was a way of resisting opression, and nowadays people who were in the military are scorned by society (well, most of it), whilst the so called terrorists are worthy of praise.

the israelis with their occupation and represion of the palestinian people, are doing, to an extent, what the nazis did to them. its a broad comparison, but its one that has been made by jose saramago (nobel prize of literature), and that whilst a little broad has its reasons to be. arafat cannot control all of his people, but if he dies or is incarcereted, all of what is left of the peace process will die with him. sharon wants to do just that, obviously, since his ultimate goal is to permanently annex the occupied territorries and that cant happen if a peace agreement is reached.
And just why are the Israelis occupying ...because they were suffering attacks....but in the end, every single time that Israel has gone to the peace table in the last 20 years the Palistinians blow up a bunch of innocent people to scuttle the talks. Kinda sucks when you are being persecuted...but it sucks even more when you bring it on your self.

Old 04-04-2002, 11:38 AM   #9
fable
Quintesson

There are three million Palestinians, many of whom were forcibly evicted from their lands nearly fifty years ago by a nascent Israeli state. They haven't been allowed back in, since, and they live in refugee camps across the borders. I'm not saying they should be allowed back in, or shouldn't; doing so would cause enormous problems...but not doing so has created a canker in the MidEast that simply won't go away.

On top of this, the US has a very large and powerful Israeli lobby which no US government has been willing to alienate. The only one who came close was Bush, Sr, who was insulted by the Israeli government of-the-day's attitude, and basically told them what they could do with themselves. This means that all attempts at playing "honest arbitrator" are hobbled from the start, though Carter and Clinton both used their not inconsiderable mediation skills to secure or prop up the Camp David Accord.

On top of that, you've got a series of essentially feudal Arab states with virtually no education, health care, work or decent living conditions for a very large underclass. To combat this, the Islamic fundamentalist movements have stepped in with shelters, food banks, etc. If a fourteen-year-old boy whose father has died, with seven younger brothers and sisters sees that he can get clothing and food from them at the local fundamentalist clinic, who do you think he'll turn to as a second father? And when they teach him their distorted version of Islam, do you think he'll ignore it, or take it to heart?

Now, let's throw in Bush's repeated remarks aimed at threatening Iraq--which, remember, most MidEastern residents perceive as a nation of people of Islam like themselves, not a single, power-mad ruler.

Stir well. For seasoning, throw in Sharon's announced and followed-through desire to build new Israeli settlements next on claimed Palestinian land; and Arafat's dictatorial, slimy methods of governing. Simmer with the Sharonian theory that the best way to deal with violence is both eyes for an eye.

Recipe for disaster, folks.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:01 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by fable:
There are three million Palestinians, many of whom were forcibly evicted from their lands nearly fifty years ago by a nascent Israeli state. They haven't been allowed back in, since, and they live in refugee camps across the borders. I'm not saying they should be allowed back in, or shouldn't; doing so would cause enormous problems...but not doing so has created a canker in the MidEast that simply won't go away.
Last I checked they left their homes of their own accord in expectation of the Arab invasion. Every Arab nation declared war on Israel, the Palestinians bailed. Israel kicked their arses in six days, so the Arab states resorted to terrorism to achieve the same result the war failed to do.

Annhialate Israel from the face of the earth.

Has anyone seen how small a territory the Arabs are begrudging the previously homeless Jews? The Jews who were persecuted in EVERY NATION THEY RESIDED IN.

Give them a break.

Noromp, you say you're not condoning suicide terror, yet then attempt to justify it. What else do you call it?

You know what I call it?

Old men who want power brainwashing children and other victims into doing what they are too gutless to do.

Why has Arafat not strapped a bomb to his chest? Isn't the Martyr the recipient of greater glory? Why are the Imams and Clerics not "dying for the cause"?

It's children.

The bombers are as much victims of the cowardly PLO/Hamas/Islamic Jihad leadership as much as the innocent civilians targetted. Even Israeli Arabs have been targetted - The Arabs own people!

Until the Palestinians love their children more than they hate Jews, there will be no peace.

[ 04-04-2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com