Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Browsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froberg View Post
I love my firefox.. I couldn't do without.

It's so integral to my web-browsing experience now, and I have yet to find any valid alternatives.
Do you find it does run slower though?

Now, my PC is about 6 years old, with some upgrades.

I think I would have a hard time switching as well, but it just what it used to be. I think 2.0 or around there, was the best.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
Froberg
The Magister

Nope, it's only gotten faster.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
ocellis
The Magister

The javascript engine in particular seems a lot faster. I didn't notice too much change when it comes to rendering.
ocellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

*AHEM* Since my government PC was replaced at work with a new Dell rig sporting Vista, Office 07 and IE8, I have switched to IE8 here. I can't believe how smooth it is...

However, in order to complete multiple attacks within the same second on Travian, IE8 is not as user friendly as FF.

Final answer: IE8 for all general surfing, banking, and anything government related from home or the road.

FF for Travian stacked attacks!

What's your consensus?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I have to use IE on the work PC. I find that the functions I use, which are minimal, are not very friendly. I think if it had tab browsing, it would be a huge improvement.

I hate that whole, window minimizing and restoring etc.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I use both IE and FF. At this point I can't really say one is better than the other. Although in FF, if I have a website up and then totally X out of it, and then try to open up FF immediately afterwards, I get a message saying FF is still running and I have to wait 10 seconds or so to open FF up again. Kinda annoying that. Oh and at my work we use IE only because Microsoft is our client LOL.

I really like igoogle. I like how I can make my home page what I want it to be. I've got a cool background goin, some cool scenic pic gadgets, CNN gadget, a TV guide display of what is on at the time that you can edit to list only the channels you are interested in. It's pretty cool.

Does Chrome do the same thing? Just curious.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
I have to use IE on the work PC. I find that the functions I use, which are minimal, are not very friendly. I think if it had tab browsing, it would be a huge improvement.

I hate that whole, window minimizing and restoring etc.
You must be using an old version of IE then?

As well, anything IE6 and older are not user friendly at all.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #18
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I use Firefox because I play browser games and there are multiple plugins for that. But not long ago I had really started to hate Firefox. It did get slower and slower for me.

The new Firefox version came out recently and that might have helped a little, but the browser was still a lot slower as it used to be when Firefox first came out.

But a couple of days ago I upgraded to a quad core computer and things are smooth again. I think Firefox might have moved a little away from single core computers. It's been eating more and more resources as it has gotten more complex.

For example I have both open and right now my Firefox is using 200 megs of RAM while IE8 is only 50. It's ironic that IE has become the lightweight browser.

By the way. The thing about google chrome is that it track pretty much everything you do. For example last time I checked it by default recorded everything you wrote in the address bar, ever if you did not submit it. Google is assigning you a unique ID so it knows everything you search for on google search, it's scanning your gmail for keywords and who know what else to give you "personalized advertising that will interest you". Then there's Google adservice that nowadays is on pretty much every website and is also keeping tabs of what you do and what you click on. And now they're directly tracking your browser usage with google chrome.

And the worse? All that info is sitting on their server unencrypted. They also give it away on good faith to any kind of law agency in the world if asked to. Without telling you.

If you don't mind that kind of thing then I suppose it's a pretty good browser. But personally I like my anonymity. Some of those things can be turned off by blocking some cookies/scripts or in the case of chrome by changing some options, but not all of it can.

Last edited by Luvian; 09-02-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #19
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
You must be using an old version of IE then?

As well, anything IE6 and older are not user friendly at all.
I will check the version today. Our PC's are far from up-to-date, with respect to hardware.

Thanks for the google info Luvian.

It may well be that my system is getting tired. It is about 6+ years old now. I posted about upgrading some months ago, but home renos have put that on the back-burner.

Hopefully this fall, I can do it.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #20
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

OPERA! OPERA! OPERA! OPERA!

But seriously, no one else uses Opera?