Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-01-2001, 08:34 AM   #1
Vampire

spoiler minor.............+ TOB spoiler

When I fought the Cowled wizard Leaders...they were immune to time stop.
Whilst Imoen casted it, they did too and Imoen got frozen as soon as she casted it! Is the Demon Prince in TOB immune to it?
Old 06-01-2001, 08:37 AM   #2
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hmmm... My assumption is that the Cowled Wizards had cast "Spell Immunity" and selected the school of magic which Timestop is a part of to gain immunity. I don't know of any other way that it could be done (unless they have *really* high MR).

Not sure about the demon prince...however, I think that he's like 100% resistant to magic in AD&D. That would *definitely* make him immune...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-01-2001, 08:40 AM   #3
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Maybe they just got their timestop off a split second before imoen.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:20 PM   #4
Legolas the Elven Archer

That would make sense, as Time Stop is something of an area effect spell and has nothing to do with Magic Resistance or Spell Immunity (though it may be used if you direct your spell to one of the magi). Therefor I doubt if anyone can be immune to it, as it doesn't affect people, but the flow of time from (in this case) Imoen's point of view.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-01-2001, 12:34 PM   #5
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Well, The only thing I can think of that would stop a timestop would be a anti-magic shell if such existed in the game. In the Ad&d world, a anti magic shell which blocked all magic would probably cancel a timestop spell if it was in the area of affect, thus a timestop wouldn't work.

But the game rules do say that a Timestop spell is a AREA spell, not a individual spell. You are casting a Timestop shell that covers the area, freezing everyone in time except yourself. Its not a spell that simply takes you out of time to make faster actions, so a creature that magic didn't work on at all might not be affected by a 9th level spell.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:37 PM   #6
masteraleph
Elminster

If it's not a bug, they may have made the leaders of the Cowled Wizards immune to Time Stop. In 2nd edition Ad&d, demigods or greater, or unique creatures are immune. Cowled Wizards, even the leaders, wouldn't fit under that, but some of the bosses in ToB might.
Old 06-01-2001, 05:10 PM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Y'know, once when I cast Time Stop, and after I had cast my second spell and was casting my third, some of my other chars were capable of attacking my enemies in the last few seconds before it ended, while the enemies were still frozen, they managed to kill 3 enemies! Anyone else experienced this bug?
Old 06-01-2001, 05:21 PM   #8
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

You mean Zallanora? That woman isn't immune to time stop!

But she casts "spell trap" as a contingency spell so that's probably why none of your spells are getting through.

Try abi-dalzims or sunfire: it will scorch her with no problem.
and since her first spell is usually Time Stop: cast it with good timing as soon as the nosy wizard does the dimension door.

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.