Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2002, 03:49 PM   #31
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

No worries. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

As for the Solo BG-er liking BG more than Icewind Dale (if such a creature exists), I am still curious. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #32
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Ah... actually, Monks are considered the second-easiest pureclassed class to solo with.

First being the Sorcerer.

[/QB]
I tried with a monk, and still had problems with sorcs and their protections. Even crappy spells like maze will finish off a solo monks game although the magic resists were very nice. Then there were numerous annoying times when the 22 str brute could not bust open doors/chests.

Paladin was the second easiest for me. Best weapon in the game, and the ability to cast True Sight allows you to walk through all fights, dragons and mages included.

On the topic of hard ones, tried a Kensai and I quickly depleted the entire kingdom of heal potions before abandoning that solo.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:39 PM   #33
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Well, I can tell you, I've just finished SoA, and am now on to ToB as a solo sorcerer, and I must say, it's the most fun I've had since I first beat the game.

Soloing gives you the opportunity and forces you, at the same time, to use alternative tactics, as well as giving you a very good sense of accomplishment when you finish the various hard bits.

After this solo, I'm probably gonna try the "New Champion with Mods" Wizard Slayer->Thief that Dundee proposed. I must say that soloing really breathed new life into BGII for me.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:51 AM   #34
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
Well, I can tell you, I've just finished SoA, and am now on to ToB as a solo sorcerer, and I must say, it's the most fun I've had since I first beat the game.
I agree 100%. To me it seems kinda corny that the plot says you're so big and powerful and dangerous and yet you still need 5 lackeys tagging along. Playing solo makes an already interesting and compelling storyline, that much easier to swallow.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:12 AM   #35
wellard
Dracolisk

Did anyone out there go from a party of six to a party of three before going solo. to do this solo thing seems hard to the point of frusration. admittaly it helps you work out the machinary of spells rather than relying on brute strentgh but a solo mage? come on admit it don't ya want to chop some nasty guys head off rather than slap him with a spell of "cause serious wounds pixie dust" ect?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:26 AM   #36
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
This is yet another "how-to-kill-all-things-cheesily" thread that makes me just wish the folks at Bioware had put a Wand-of-I-Win in the game.
I see no harm in seeing how far a player can go in a game. After all, we all done it the hard way already, so we explore the "easy" ways to do it now.

Besides, it is not as though we are cheating. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:53 PM   #37
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
50 only? I usually get 60-70, but even without Spike Traps, they are very proficient Dragon-Hunters with the Tuigan Bow and the Boots of Speed( or the Oil of Speed).
Have you tried it against the Improved Dragons?
Even with 60-70 damage dealt, the Dragon will still have > 100 HP...
Slaying a smart Dragon who have Stoneskins, Dimension Doors and Heals on his disposal with mere arrows and light feet is not the easiest of tasks.

Quote:
The Skull barely registers on the radar, and its' attack rate is laughable. Mislead lasts up to 2 turns.
The Skull's attack rate is not the problem. The problem is that once it spots you, the Skull will use its annoying "Project Force" special ability which will repeatedly knock you off, a la Wing Buffet, and level drain you if you're not protected.

[ 11-19-2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:08 PM   #38
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
Even with 60-70 damage dealt, the Dragon will still have > 100 HP...
Slaying a smart Dragon who have Stoneskins, Dimension Doors and Heals on his disposal with mere arrows and light feet is not the easiest of tasks.
Why yes, I have. [img]smile.gif[/img] You will be surprised how easy it is to kill the Improved Dragons with an archer-type unit. Stoneskins? Acid/Flame/Ice Arrows or Arrows of Dispelling. Heal? Barrage the Dragon with enough Arrows of Biting or Bolts of Biting and it will be biting the floor soon.

The most important thing is... be immuned to its' Dragon's Breath. Once you achieve that, you have for all purposes, won the battle already.
Quote:
The Skull's attack rate is not the problem. The problem is that once it spots you, the Skull will use its annoying "Project Force" special ability which will repeatedly knock you off, a la Wing Buffet, and level drain you if you're not protected.
Amulet of Power, and I know about the Project Force thingy, but you have enough time to rush in, backstab, and rush out. Failing that... snipe, stealth, snipe, stealth the guardians with arrows( replace stealth with Staff of Magi if you have it), then kill the Skull.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:26 PM   #39
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Amulet of Power, and I know about the Project Force thingy, but you have enough time to rush in, backstab, and rush out. Failing that... snipe, stealth, snipe, stealth the guardians with arrows( replace stealth with Staff of Magi if you have it), then kill the Skull.
2 turns to backstab 'em all!?
While constantly dealing with the Porject Force problem, and the Mages' Stoneskins and the Druids' Ironskins?
Assuming one has yet to obtained the SoTM.

Your thieves must be faster then mine, then. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And how do you survive the attacks of the Shadowstalkers?
Even if the boots protect you from their backstabs, the damage they deal is high, and your thief's HP are low...
Scrolls can run out, eventually.

Your thieves must be tougher then mine, too. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And smarter, probably - admittedly, i'm one of the worst thief-players ever.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:34 PM   #40
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
2 turns to backstab 'em all!?
While constantly dealing with the Porject Force problem, and the Mages' Stoneskins and the Druids' Ironskins?
Assuming one has yet to obtained the SoTM.
I would go about getting the SotM first actually. That thing is a Godsend to any character that can use it.
Quote:
And how do you survive the attacks of the Shadowstalkers?
Even if the boots protect you from their backstabs, the damage they deal is high, and your thief's HP are low...
Scrolls can run out, eventually.
They cannot see invisible units.

----

I won't say soloing a Thief is easy, at least in certain situations, like the Tanner Murder Quest. That one was hairy, what with the Bone Golems and all; but they are one of the masters of cheese.