Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-08-2002, 08:13 AM   #1
PeeWee
Manshoon

Howday, howday...

Just wanted to say that the dungeon was a blast. Took two nights passing thru it and found what I think is most of the pro fire armor there. Got a +3 compound bow for Minsc, the dragon sword, shield and fire ring.

The first night I fought my way in with my party but the second night I used Aerie to make quick work of the npcs. I found firkraag on the second attempt. First playtime took too long and I got tired. He or she or it is a marvelous creature. I was impressed. I really didn't wanna kill it but I knew it had to have some special treasure.

I read tactics on ppl using cloudkill and traps around him already but thankfully not anything about his loot. I won't mention that here either in case someone lurks. I spent alot of time looking for potions and scrolls which took away hours of play. Ya may have seen my posts about potions and lack of space. Well after I sold some potions and bought pro fire potions from a lady in the sothern part of the bridge district, I was set for the real fight. I also sold alot of the items I found there.

Took three tries. Three different methods were used. First got him down to injured but my main guy died. I ran in trying to hit him in the roleplaying style. He didn't turn hostile. That caused me to die early and lose my edge or so called strategy. I also lost buffs when I buffed too early by the stairs.

From this, I learned to buff in front of him telling myself he wouldn't mind since he's soo damned cocky. Told em it was for leaving. Uh huh. The second fight was in my favor since I do what I do in EQ. If someone dies, you rez them and they continue to fight. I bought the rez stick for this reason. I rezzed fallen members with Aerie using her spell trap as protection. She later died when I was switching potions from the inventory screen. I paused and accidentally hit unpause I think. Here is where it went sour. But Peewee and Korgan were left and Korgan had a wand of magic missles. Peewee had his bow. They spent a good HOUR ping ponging shots back at the dragon. Peewee was up north and Korgan was south. I used most of my potions up and ALOT of oil of speed.

Dragon was near death. I was happy with what these two guys were doing. ALOT f misses however and I was getting tired. I see why ppl will lower it's magic resistance or cloudkill it. It's proving futile and I make a bad call here. I go upstairs when the dragon is hot on my heels. I also pull Korgan upstairs to rest. I chance it and come back down to check on it's health. Still near death so I decide to loot bodies for the rez stick. I grab Aerie and rest upstairs again. But unfortunately as I come back down, the dragon is full health. I'm very disappointed at myself for not trying to finish it off earlier. I reload.

Third time, I mem a crapload of dooms and make sure not just my tanks are 127 fire pro but all of my guys are. I had bad tries with summons too earlier and this time I got it right. Spread out my tankers. Minsc north, Korgan south with pewee, Jah north, Anomen right side with Aerie. I think I either used magic resistance or lower magic - I didn't wanna use the magic resistance but I got confused since my buffs were running out. I made sure I was going to get Jah to insect plague. Aerie started off the dialogue with her pets in front of her. I casted doom like 4 times, lower magic countless times, and insect plague with whatever the wood nymph had. Still got winged. Aerie had spells however since I made sure she would get the attention and use her spell trap. She breached and for some odd reason.... the dragon had the yellow circle around it. dunno if it moved towards Korgan down south but it was moving and killing pets there. I summoned at least 50 of them to take the melee hits. Anomen kept back to heal and use his sling. Pewee waited for the dragon to attack the summoned pets. Minsc tried to melee with the dragon sword after using Daystar heh.

After a few minutes and checking on health, dragon is injured and Jaheira's insect plague is actually working. The dragon is moving too close to Peewee so to save him, Aerie who is still to the right side casts cloudkill to the central part of the bottom. Ayup, the dragon is after Pewee who is now to the far left side of the bottom.

I can't melee now but I'm buying my guys time. Aerie expends all her spells. Chromatic orb does hit. Korgan is crazy. After I enrage him, he decides to run in after the dragon. Big mistake...so I thought.

Korgan is near death but does land 3 consecutive critical hits. Not a whole lot of dmg but at this stage it's enought o get Firkraag to be near death. I grabbed Peewee since he was the closest and ran him to melee. Korgan was already dead. Big gamble here and finally.

I hear a sound and see a critical hit. Of course I pause and take a screenshot heh. Dragon is dead and my guys are there. I rezz Korgan and look for where to loot. I'm talking about ALOT of dead bodies around from the summons stick. I am at awe from what I find and save. I then hit Cromwells and have me a nice set of armor.

My first encounter and it turned out well. I'm glad ppl have mentioned him but haven't given away too much of the vital stuff like his loot or where he will be to still make looking for him fun. Knowing he was a fire dragon is given in the game. His attack I couldn't do anything against so spoiler info didn't hinder my time with em. Cool beans.

I consider myself lucky too because he is a tough mofo. I'm not entirely happy since I'm not sure if I used magic resis on him or lower... may go back over it and try again. But there is nothing like having your guys land 3-5 critical hits in a row on something that powerful. I doubt if I go back, it would be harder still since my chances of landing those attacks again are nill. I finally got thru his stoneskin. yes heh.

Well, I'm in the temple ruins and just found out there is another dragon there. YAY, but this sounds to be a tougher fight. I always hated undead for some reason. PLUS, I didn't like reading a post somewhere else telling what the scale from it can make. As said earlier, I played Eq before and certain thing r given like shadow armor being used for - certain class here-. I am picky on what spoilers I read just so that I can find stuff on my own. That's another topic however.

Still was a blast and if I have any questions, I know where to come to. Now to find a way to see what I need for this next dragon fight and hopefully win.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:20 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Hah! The slaying of the first Dragon is always a milestone in every adventurer's life. It separates the men (and women (boy, am I PC [img]tongue.gif[/img] )) from the mice. Party on, and keep up the good work!
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:44 AM   #3
Big Red
Dungeon Master

I agree, it's great to kill your first dragon or two.
Shame you had to kill the Big Red one though, much better to pickpocket it IMO

I'm currently soloing a Cleric/Mage and was amazed just how easy it was to kill the Shadow Dragon and Firkraag (I had to kill him as I had no thief skills ). Firky took about 12 spells and died with a vampiric touch - I could probably have done it with less, but I had to improvise (without resting) with the few spells that I had left. The shadow dragon was even easier.
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:48 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Big Red:
I agree, it's great to kill your first dragon or two.
Shame you had to kill the Big Red one though, much better to pickpocket it IMO

You can pry the scales right off of his skin without him noticing a thing!
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 09:05 AM   #5
Big Red
Dungeon Master

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:

You can pry the scales right off of his skin without him noticing a thing!

Perhaps he does notice, but thinks that losing a few scales is better than risking his life [img]smile.gif[/img]
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Yeah, the first Dragon I kulled was Firkragg, and it was pretty easy, because I had done as many quests as I could, and did the majority of the main quest.

Nice pay off for killing one of the hardest dragons oyu will ever meet.