Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2001, 08:05 AM   #1
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

My characters are level 7 and 8. My main character is a Level 8 fighter. Then I have Minsc, Jaheira, Nalia, Yoshimo and Aerie. No matter what fighting situation I am in, I seem to have problems. This is the first d & d game I have played so I know I am not experienced in this area. Sometimes, when my group enters an area and there are enemies, I pause the game and get my spells ready. Then when I unpause, they do their thing, but I notice only a few of my characters are actually fighting and a couple are off to the side somewhere, not joining the group. By the time I get everyone where they need to be, I have two or three characters who are dead or almost dead. I understand that you don't have to keep clicking to fight as in other games, but I am getting very frustrated. I am using no cheats and have my game play set on normal. Can anyone help me out here with some good advice?

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 03-05-2001, 08:28 AM   #2
Stealthy

Hi Lady Avalon,if you click on the customise button on the character record screen, it will open a new page in which you can change scripts for your characters. The scripts decide how they behave in combat, and there are character specific ones as well as general ones such as a standard attack, backstab etc. Set these as you want and save your choices. Thereafter they will follow this script.

------------------

Charlie's S-Plan diet is no better than his invisibility potion!

[This message has been edited by Stealthy (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 08:45 AM   #3
Sir_Tainly

Just to add, after setting the scripts, make sure the Party AI is on, its the button in the bottom right of the screen IIRC. Your manual will tell you for sure. Sometimes scripts make characters do things you don't wish, e.g. attack prematurely in an ambush, so turninhg the AI on/off is useful. Have been practicing this in Icewind Dale over the W/E.

------------------

Old 03-05-2001, 08:46 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Another problem that we face is when A character is assigned to attack something, but another character is in the way of getting to that monster, your character will try to walk around the battle to get a better shot in. Sometimes I have had my character want to walk all the way around an entire cavern, just to try to find another way, gets stuck in a corner, and finds trouble waiting for him...and of course gts killed because it looks like he left the battle just to go piss in the corner. That may be a reason that you see your people roaming, as well as what Stealthy said previously. If you see one free roaming, just keep that finger on the pause, try to lead your char. in the right direction around any obstacles to get to that goal, and you will see better fighting. #1 though is to check on that attitude script thing that stealthy mentioned.

------------------

Larry of the Holy Flame
Old 03-05-2001, 10:09 AM   #5
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

You may use Autopause. BG2 can pause after your party member is hit or if you see enemy, when round ends... When a game is paused you may planed your actions.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:16 AM   #6
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

Also depending where you are there is great advantage in fleeing. Some ambushes have be made that powerful monster ambush you in small spaces killing your caracters more easily. So if your caracters can't get a clear shot try escaping to lure those monsters in a open area.

Weaponds like 2 handed swords and Halberts have greater reach so if you fighting in a close setting (crypt, dungeon) try having one of you carcater know how to use this. Heavy armored block the way while the guy with the Halbert swipes at the ennemy from further or swich to bows or cross bows.

In bg2 my major problem is not caracter fleeing, it's when I leave the Ai on and a archer swipes at a mage. The mage tries to fight in melee combat sometimes passing through the rank of my fighters by the time I realise my mage is in the mildle of the fight is usualy too late.
Old 03-05-2001, 11:42 AM   #7
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Hi Lady Avalon !

I cannot really join Stealthy in recommending the use of the scripts. I have not used the scripts myself, but using the scripts is to rely on the A.I. and for me that is the weakest part of the game, especially if the idiotic behaviour of summoned spellcasters is any indication of the quality of the scripts for npcs.

So for learning purposes I would rather recommend to you to set the scripts to default and to enable as many autopause options as you like to give you more control over the game. Also enable all the information display options (hit dice rolls, etc.). While the game is paused, take your time to read in the message box what is going on: which spells have been cast, who is affected by which spell, how is character A you have fighting opponent B faring and why (cannot hit, gets hit every time, etc. ), why seems character C to always fail his saving throw, maybe you have a magical item to keep that from happening . The combat system in this game is rather complex, but that makes it also a great challenge. Later on when you know better what is going on and what is important in a battle, you can go back to a more action-orientated playing style with less pausing if you like to.

Happy posting and gaming !

------------------
So long !

Old 03-05-2001, 02:14 PM   #8
Epona
Zartan

Lady Avalon,
It does take a while to get used to the fighting.
I find it best to always use the 'autopause' function.

Click options, as if you were going to save or load a game, then click gameplay, then there is an 'autopause' button which will take you to a new box.

I always select autopause for the following:
Weapon unusable
Enemy sighted
Enemy killed
Trap found

This allows you to re-assign tasks to characters.
Example:
You have Minsc attack the enemy mage. He hacks away for a bit, then kills the enemy mage. If the party AI (little lantern button at bottom right of screen under character portraits) is turned off, he will just stand there until you give him new instruction.

If you have set the game to autopause when an enemy is killed, when Minsc kills the mage the game will pause, and a little message will pop up in the message box saying "Minsc: Enemy gone" (or something like that). You can then have him attack another enemy straight away without him standing round looking like a complete prat.

Hope this helps, you will come to enjoy the battles with a bit of practice, just hang on in there, and try to learn something from each mistake!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-05-2001, 02:23 PM   #9
MORDRICK THE MAD
The Magister

The advice from Epona is sound and will really help out although people such as minsc I have his AI turned to long range fighting because he is rather good with the old bow n arras and if you dont want him to start turning people into sieves then turn of ya lil glowing latern.

MTM

------------------

IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Old 03-05-2001, 04:51 PM   #10
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Hi All, Thanks so much for the great advice. I will try to be more patient and check out those options you mentioned. I am sure I will be back, but hopefully it will be with a different problem. The response on this board is absolutely fantastic.

------------------

Seeker of Truth