Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2000, 01:16 PM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to defeat bout 10+ Mind Flayers who are in a secret area inside the sewers under the Temple District in Athkatla. I have tried protection from evil '10, ward on death magic and every other possible protection spell. Nothing works and my party gets its ass kicked. (Not sure but when dominated by the flayers sometimes my party members die outright, anyone know why?) I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 10-17-2000, 01:38 PM   #2
Tipsy McSwagger

You're in luck as me and my crew took out those foul creatures just a fortnight ago. Here's what you need: 1 pair of boots of speed, 1 mage who has learned improved invisibility and 1 wand of cloudkill (either that or have memorized 3-4 instances of cloudkill).

Cast improved invisibility on a mage (in my case Nalia) and give her the boots of speed and the wand of cloudkill. Move the entire party to the beginning room. Have Nalia run like the dickens to the first room full of Mind Flayers and Umberhulks (there are two rooms full BTW), you should pass through a room that previously held one mind flayer and some other folks that you have no doubt slaughtered by now. Have her open the door to the MF room. At this point they won't see you. Retreat back in the hallway so that the fog of war ends at the beginning edge of the room (the doorway). Cast cloudkill on the edge of the fog of war. As soon as the little glob of cloudkill appears (not the full blown cloud but the glob that travels to the target area) pause and tell Nalia to book it back towards the rest of the party. Once the spell hits you'll see a bunch of statements to the effect of all the MF's attacking Nalia but she'll be too far away. On your way back to the party you'll pass through the aforementioned empty room. Stop to cast cloudkill on this room as well and close the door on the way out. For added protection you can cast cloudkill one more time on the entryway to the beginning room (where your party is) but you probably won't need it.

What happened for me is that all of the umberhulks were killed and eventually most of the MF's started going beserk and attacking the Ultralithids. If they do manage to make it all the way to your position they'll be in pretty bad shape so you shouldn't have a problem.

This doesn't work as well for the final room full of baddies because they all have magical resistance. It did work well for killing all the Umberhulks though. For the final room I believe I used cloudkill to flush them out and then just ran all the way back to the beginning room. They seemed to come after me but in a much more scattered fashion so I was able to take them on one by one.

Closing the door behind you is key as they won't try to open them. Must not have opposable thumbs.

Drink up.

-Tipsy

Old 10-17-2000, 03:28 PM   #3
TDZHON

Where are they? I am in chap 6 and already finished the sewers long ago, but never saw any mind flayers in the temple district...

Old 10-17-2000, 03:38 PM   #4
Tipsy McSwagger

In the northern part of the sewers there's one hidden passageway that leads to Mekath's tower and one that leads to the Mindflayer's lair. If you look at the sewers like a clock, the entrance is at about 1:00.

Drink up.

-Tipsy

Old 10-17-2000, 06:40 PM   #5
Javalin Ironfist

Well, I have a much betta way to kill em all.
hrmmm, in order to gain access to the secret door, you have to get the key when you on you way to finish the red dragon, remember the second boss in BG?(Tarzok?)He has the key to the door.Now
get back to the sewer.Open the door.When you get upstairs, you find youself in a fancy room,there is a door to the west. This one is easy, there is only one mind player and some human emenies. Cast what ever area spell you have, summon whatever creaturers you have, finish this room will not be hard....And then the next one is really a pain in you ass. Have your mages carry or memorise all the cloudkill spell, as much as possible, and move your party back to the first room, let you mages cast CK into the second room like 5 or 6 times, now, sacrifice time, move one of your weakest NPC (I have Yoshimo here) into the deadly room, dont forget to close the door to the first room, then open the next door to the third room, lure out all the Mind Flayers plus that fatty into the second room, now, within secs, those freaks all die! Same tactics can be used in the next room...hehe. I have two clerics in my team so I dont have to worry about resurrection anyway....

Old 01-14-2001, 09:57 PM   #6
wIcKeDcLoWn

this is how i did it... i summoned a couple of elementals and a couple monsters from lvl 2 monster summoning and i had them all stand right in front of closed door. while my party was a little down the hall (close enough for ranged weopons). then i had yoshimo hide in shadows, open the door, pause game, and run back to my formation. (oh yeah and dont forget haste on all your guys and summoned guys) now make sure your party is far enough back so they wont get stunned. this way the mind flayers will expend all thier stun spells on your elementals and monster. and they should be stunned right in the doorway so the flayers cant get by. as soon as the mind flayers get close enough have four of your guys shooting arrows and bullets. i had my 2 fighters standing ahead of my ranged shooters waiting for the flayers to get thru my elementals. once they kill all your summoned stuff is when i send my fighters up to finish them off. you should be safe from stun by now and u should have killed a few with arrows by now.

Old 01-18-2001, 05:52 PM   #7
KALYN

Like everyone said, a mage with improved invisibility casting ck, deathfog, or a cleric with fire storm, then close the door. I took it a step further and after having the mages cast deathfog, I sent Yoshimo up to set traps, and then hide in shadows, then open the door. The already weakened bastards came out and then died on the traps. I didn't have to touch a single one.