Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
TanisGilthanas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If im going to be soloing an assassin, should i go with single weapon fighting style or two weapon fighting style? Im baseing the character off of a character ive played in other games such as everquest who was a rogue, duel wielding would be cool, but at early proficiency levels it will actually hurt my fighting abilities. And since i can only put one point into each at the beginning im going to go with one in long swords, short swords, and daggers as well... any objections or reasons for other selections? Any input would help thanks.
TanisGilthanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

yeh, you'll only ever get one star in dual wielding so you'll be stuck with -2 and -4 to THACO iirc - not good with your rogue THACO like you say - single weapon style will double your chance of critical hits too and help your AC a bit

weapon choices sound fine - i can think of a more powerful sword type if you know where to look but nothing drastic - a couple of enemies need blunt weapons (club or staff might do you alright here) but you can always take them down with traps - you'll want a missile weapon with a high rate of fire to make the most of poison weapon and to snipe from a distance and break groups up so you can backstab them individually

do you have TOB installed?

enjoy

[ 03-03-2004, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:34 AM   #3
Daniel_M
Elminster

Theres nothing more I can say, I think Armen coverd everything, but if you looking to do insane amounts of damage put a prof in Katanas since you can backstab with 'em. If your looking to have a bow I would go for Tansheron's Bow its a +3 weapon and it fires phantom arrows so you dont have to have arrows, and when you get further into the game try and pick up the short bow of Gesen it too dosent need ammo.

Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

If you're planning on pure roleplaying, I would say loose the longwords - they are rather conspicuous, not realy what an Assasin would use. Short swords are noticably sneakier, and can kill more quickly than a dagger - in my mind, the perfect assasin weapon.
I would say you should single wield - you want to kill quickly, you want to avoid large amounts of combat if you can - meaning, your offhand should be used to keep the target quiet while you slip a blade into their back.
I would argue against ranged weapons - an assasin, in my mind, should be up close and personal - they would select their target carefully, and let them know that they are about to die, instill fear in them, while not letting anyone around know. A ranged weapon does not let the victim know what is coming a few seconds before they die. When I think "Assasin", I see the murderer who snaekily pulls his victims away, gags them with one hand, and silently kills them with the weapon in the other hand - and is long gone before anyone realises what has happened.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

I tend to think long swords have the best variety. Single wielding means you can have a shortbow in your other quickweapon slot. Put proficiencies in this order: Long sword, shortbow, single weapon style, staff, 2-handed weapon style.

A strong case can also be made FOR assassins using bows. The assassin's job is to kill the target, it doesn't need to be a slit throat, and particularly if the target is well accompanied, a bow helps break up groups of people. I often use a tactic of hiding just on the edge of view of a group, firing an arrow then pulling back and hiding again. You will find that usually only the creatures that were in your field of view will give chase, and if you position yourself right, this means one target at a time. Once you've lured your target away on his own, you drop in behind him and, switching to your bladed weapon, cleave him apart.

For an assassin, dont poison the blade at times like this... poison the arrow. That way it will give the poison time to work and weaken your target, allowing you to finish him off in melee with a single backstab. Alternatively if it's a group of low level creatures, target many different creatures while your poison lasts in a system of fire and retreat (Parthian tactics). This way you weaken many targets at once, run and hide from them all while your poison works its magic, then come out and finish them one at a time. And of all things, the single most valuable possession for a thief is Boots of Speed. Even in a party, my thief always gets first selection of speed enhancing equipment.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Short swords. In a certain plcace there is a short sword with no speed factor.

certain place is - spoilers

Plane prison where haer dalis is being kept.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

The Rogue Rebalancing mod moves rogues closer to the PnP versions and allows you to put 3* in dual-wielding I believe (and just dual wielding)...so together with that and maybe 1* in short swords you're well on your way. Then I would go for one star in dagger and then one in short bow as you level up.

Readme http://www.gamesector.co.yu/avenger/doc/apack.txt and download location http://www.gamesector.co.yu/avenger/files/aPack.exe (500k)

[ 03-03-2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Baron:
Short swords. In a certain plcace there is a short sword with no speed factor.
I believe that sword also gives an extra APR, though it doesnt state it in the Item Description...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
TanisGilthanas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

from whateveryone is saying im thinking of sticking with single weapon style throughout the whole game. I know i want to go with short bow, but im still confused as to which weapons i should go with. i know EVENTUALLY ill find an awesome weapon of any weapon kind, but as a soloing character, and one that isnt a pure toe to toe fighter i would like something that is powerful and relatively easy to come by.
TanisGilthanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #10
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Bah you actually made me unlurk.

What I am going to say will most likely be considered heresy.

For an Assassin, forget longswords and katanas.

Shortswords, daggers, and darts are where it's at.

Shortswords and daggers are an Assassin's best friend.

Just starting out, Arbanes is very powerful. It casts hast and makes you immune to hold person. Short Sword of Backstabbing gives you a raw +3 to hit. Which you need. Backstabbing and poison is no good if you can't connect. There is Kundane, it has a zero speed factor and an extra APR. Ilbratha is a young Assassin's best friend. Mirror Image is a life saver. For punching through tough foes with good AC, Cutthroat is a nice +4 short sword. It's also very damaging.

Daggers is where the fun begins. Pixie Prick. Nothing like backstabbing somebody with a poisoned dagger. They fall down to take a nap, blissfully unaware of the venom burning their blood. They never wake up. Stilleto of Demarchess is a cruel weapon. It stuns. Backstab somebody, and watch them die as they look at you pitifully, unable to do anything, frozen in place. Firetooth. Powerful throwing dagger. Can be used with the Buckler +1 to improve your AC if it's needed and still provides a powerful ranged attack. With poison, it's very icky. There is a +4 dagger, Boneblade, which is good if you need to bottom out your THAC0 to hit something.

Darts. High rate of fire and some of them are just plain nasty. Darts of stunning and wounding are fantastic with poison weapon.

While bows and crossbows are fun and fine and good, and bolts and arrows of biting are great, you get a lot more mileage out of other weapons. Like it or not, there are occasions when you get bite off more then you can chew or get ambushed. Being able to use a shield, in particular, the Buckler +1 is a valuable asset, and, two handed weapons prevent that. Darts are a better delivery system for poison. Or Firetooth. And in SoA, with few exceptions (Staff of Striking for example) all of the best backstabbing weapons are single handed.

Relurk
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote