Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-29-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I hear it has zero spyware/adware crap, I just wanted to see if anyone else tried it.

See, I'm looking for a MP3 of the song at the end credits of the Prince of Persia: Sands of time game that just came out (a PS2/XBOX/PC game). And it was a REALLY cool song..

I rented it, and forgot to port it to the PC before I returned it. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's a great song, very egyptian/persian!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-30-2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Is a filesharing program like Kazaa? If so, then use Limewire. Its gotta be the best one out there, and for the year or 2 I've used it, it hasn't put any of that crap on my computor
Old 12-30-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Is a filesharing program like Kazaa? If so, then use Limewire. Its gotta be the best one out there, and for the year or 2 I've used it, it hasn't put any of that crap on my computor
BearShare has a better user opinions rating than Limeware does on CNet. I have never heard of Ares, but it has a very high rating on CNet. Highest of all the ones I have seen before.

See here.

This is a list of a few of the negative things they say about it.
Quote:

1. Dumb...just don't install NavExcel...DUHhhh...other then that..it doesn't download..when it does it's slow. If it isn't popular by now, it won't ever be. Kazza Lite was the best untill $..People who still have the old Klite still on their PC ..does t still work..if so share it becasue thats the only real P2P
================================================== =============================
2. Frist thing I noticed and didn't like is that it installs NavExcel, which is Spyware. Second thing I didn't like, is that I have had it installed for 3 days now. During that time it has never been shut off, constantly connected. The problem is I have been trying to download 2 files since installation and as of the posting of this, both downloads are still at 0Kb. After 3 days, still nothing. Other users have no problem uploading from me, but I cannot download anything. So needless to say I am very unhappy with Ares and will continue using KazaaLite until it is totally cutoff.
================================================== =============================
3. This version has the NavExcel browser hijacker. "Hijacker: Any software that resets your browser's settings to point to other sites. Hijacks may reroute your info and address requests through an unseen site, capturing that info. In such hijacks, your browser may behave normally, but be slower. Homepage Hijackers will change your home page to some other site. Error Hijackers will display a new error page when a requested URL is not found"
[ 12-30-2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-30-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Bearshare, Kazaa, Limewire all have spyware and bandwidth nappers (read the terms you agree to on kazaa and you're basically signing away your isp and privacy).

Get Kazaa lite, no spyware, popups -nada. The song is there, I just checked for you Ziroc.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was able to delete the spyware with a program and it left bearshare in tact and operational, despite the warnings.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:33 AM   #6
Gammit
Elminster

My little brother used Limewire until I showed him all of the spyware that it had installed. He wasn't very pleased.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:27 AM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thats why I downloaded it Larry, because of the huge rating C|net gave it, and the reviewer said it had zero spyware.

Folk, just to let ya know, Ares is AWESOME! Zero Spyware, and that user comment that Larry posted of a user saying something about broswer being hijacked, but that isn't true, I just ran Adware, and nothing at all popped up (whew) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Got the song, If you wanted to hear it, listen to it here: (They HAD it on their website somewhere to download a few weeks/Months ago, but I can't find the page, so here it is: it's legal. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Download the Awesome Prince of Persia: Sands of Time song here:

Time Only Knows - 6.2MB

[ 12-31-2003, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Old 01-05-2004, 02:04 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Ever since I downloaded that song, I cannot stop playing it! I listen to it three or four times a day!

(sarcastically)Thanks alot Ziroc, you mean old fart! You have bewildered me with your devlish music!
Old 01-05-2004, 02:17 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Ever since I downloaded that song, I cannot stop playing it! I listen to it three or four times a day!

(sarcastically)Thanks alot Ziroc, you mean old fart! You have bewildered me with your devlish music!
[img]smile.gif[/img] You're welcome! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] It is a very addictive song, isn't it?!

(goes off to listen to it AGAIN today)

PS: I have added some to EfU, and fixed a crash bug too!!

Old 01-05-2004, 07:40 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

Aaargh! I'm getting so frustrated I can't play EfU because of my crashy computer! I still don't know what the problem is (I'm guessing it's my Geforce 2MX, but not certain), but everyone around me is getting a better computer, so maybe I need to look at my parents with Bambi-eyes again