Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 10-17-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Spoilers in the whole post
#
#
#
#
#
Ok, just how do you kill that dang dragon on level 8 in the small tower? I don't have a problem with me dying or anything, just I cannot kill her!

I let her have my entire spell arsenal and only got her down to injured!! That includes 4 x maximised IGMS, Hellball, Greater Ruin and all this time my own summoned red dragon (hasted) has been ripping at her with his claws. How many HP does she have?!

Is this one of those where you just need some hardy fighter-types to do some melee damage (although I would imagine my dragon is no pushover!) None of my trusty summons can touch her. And I used Mordenkains Disjunction at the very start to strip her of any protections and repeated if necesary.

Any help would be gratefully received [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and while I'm here, does liberating the elves in the White Boarding House constitute a quest? Once I've killed this dragon will going back and talking to the grumpy innkeeper prove fruitful? He seems like the only 'boss' character on the level and I've covered all the surface and the hollow tree stump (damn those respawning undead priests!).

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-17-2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

Ahhhh I love posts about ol Greeny. My first adventure into EfU, I was with StigTC, and he being a vetran and me a first timer in EfU I followed his lead.

I should have thought better when he said " You go meele with her and hold her there while I hit her with spells. " LOL

I dont know for certian but Greeny has about 4000-5000 hit points and a disgustingly high Ac, Im thinking 75-80 or so. I can beat her pretty easy with a wizard, but I havent yet with a fighter.

She has some pretty high saves as well. The maces you get from the clerics in the area have a 1 use Harm, sometimes you can get lucky if you use 15 to 20 of those.

For the most part, you just have to keep hammering at her with everything you got. She has 2 Heals as well, so dont get excited when you get her badly wounded :

Your summons wont do anything to her, its all gonna be on you or your party.

[ 10-17-2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Teri-sha Illistyn ]
Old 10-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Ol Greeny, I love it

Quote:
Originally posted by Teri-sha Illistyn:
I should have thought better when he said " You go meele with her and hold her there while I hit her with spells. "

Unfortunately I can't wield a mace and I was planning my next feat to be a short sword so I can do a Gandalf and let em have it with staff and sword [img]smile.gif[/img] I guess martial weapons probably includes a mace though, so maybe I'll come back when I'm older.

I thought she might have pretty high saves, so I replaced all my usual killer Banshee Wails with max IGMS There's no chance she might fail a fortitude save? *looks hopeful* DC is about 33 at the mo...

2 Heals!! And I was excited when i got her to Barely Injured the first time!!

[ 10-17-2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

Greeny is THE dragon of EfU. I thik it was TDC and I who were theroizing that she could ttake out every other dragon in EfU in a 1 on 1 grudge match.

I dont know her DC but I believe she is immune to death magic. It would be too easy to take her out other wise.

I dont reccomend going toe to toe with her. Her Ac, plus hit points make that a long battle without adding her own meele abilities.

She dosnt miss often [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
StigTC

Quote:
Originally posted by Teri-sha Illistyn:
Ahhhh I love posts about ol Greeny. My first adventure into EfU, I was with StigTC, and he being a vetran and me a first timer in EfU I followed his lead.

I should have thought better when he said " You go meele with her and hold her there while I hit her with spells. " LOL

I dont know for certian but Greeny has about 4000-5000 hit points and a disgustingly high Ac, Im thinking 75-80 or so. I can beat her pretty easy with a wizard, but I havent yet with a fighter.

She has some pretty high saves as well. The maces you get from the clerics in the area have a 1 use Harm, sometimes you can get lucky if you use 15 to 20 of those.

For the most part, you just have to keep hammering at her with everything you got. She has 2 Heals as well, so dont get excited when you get her badly wounded :

Your summons wont do anything to her, its all gonna be on you or your party.
Was that the same battle where afterwards I went; "Alright, that was the mirror image, let's get the real thing".

As for the maces with harm, they no longer drop, the priests of Malar has been issued with a new type of mace.

But back in the day before we went server vault, I had to rest during the battle for my mage to take her down using nothing but magic.

Melee characters can take her down as well, but you need a pretty damn high AB.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
StigTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

Hmmm Stig, I dont remember you saying much except " Hold her there while I rest " and " Ok I'm Back" [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think Wizards and Sorcerers have the best chance with her however. Meele wise I dont want to spend half the day being pounded into ground beef.

You WILL run out of apells, and She has a decent magic resistant also, so you will have some scrolls fizzle out as well.

The best tactic I can offer when facing Greeny is to be in a party... even if it is only 2 of you.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:53 PM   #7
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah old greeny is THE dragon of Undermountain. no other dragon comes close.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
StigTC

I would say that clerics or druids are the best option. They get harm spell at spell level 6 (11th caster level). Then you can always just run and rest if you don't hit with the shots you have memorized.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
StigTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah or you could try that Ring of Harm from Level 12. You get 5 shots with that.