Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2000, 04:29 PM   #1
Schmikes

Hi guys, I'm in trouble again.

Iron golems are the worst. I don't mind magic and creepy crawlies, but these things are incredibly difficult to whack, let alone hurt. What weaknesses do they posess? Electrical, fire or frost, if any? The worst part is that they always come with allies that confuse and demoralise my characters. That's when the real damages kick in. My party members, being so mighty and well-equipped can churn out a sound beating for any other member in his/her path before the effect wears out.

Also, I get so many good rings that are incompatible with everything else. Is there any way to determine what sort of items are compatible with others?

And, I've tricked both Marketh and Giant King's Son into giving me their badges. What for? I mean, I can't proclaim myself the king and I certainly can't sell 'em off!
Old 09-13-2000, 01:51 PM   #2
Wretched

Iron Golems are nasty, and worse yet, they tend to go after magic-users. I'm pretty sure they are magic resistant in general, so your best bet is to maul them before they can do too much damage. As for other creatures which confuse you, clerics have protective spells against that, so it's good to cast these spells on everyone (or at least your toughest characters) so that they don't turn on one another (I know this is one of the most annoying spell effects out there). Also, Clerics can dispel such effects if they do happen, as long as the cleric himself isn't charmed.

Usually, rings are incompatible with other items that carry a similar effect (especialy Rings of Protection), but there are other effects which are incompatible. Often times I don't even know why, and it's a pain.

The badges will come in handy later on in the game. I won't spoil it for you by telling you what exactly, but be sure to hang onto them!
Old 09-13-2000, 02:25 PM   #3
dragonslayer
Manshoon

The protection rings and cloaks will not work with an other item of the same kind nor will they work will a magical set of armour. The Mithral field plate though, is not counted as a magical armour. Magical helmets and shields are compatiable with rings and cloaks of the magical nature though. The Iron Golems are completely immune to magic, the warhammer you get by doing a quest for Conlan is quite useful for killing the golems, it's a a +5 weapon vs Golems. There are several magic items hat make you immune to the dredful effects of charm and confusion etc. some armours and helmets i think are actually really good, at least the first time through.
dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 02:08 PM   #4
elvensong

iron golem:
===========
hp - 80
xp value - 13000
ac - 3
thac0 - 3
# of attacks - 2
saving throws - all 0
fire res. - 100
electricity res. - 100
cold res. - 100
acid res. - 100
magic res. - 100
magic fire res. - 100
slashing res. - 0
crushing res. - 0
piercing res. - 0
missile res. - 0
======================
got the idea?
Old 10-16-2000, 02:34 PM   #5
djspider

Have you got conlans hammer? (found in chest behind blacksmith in kuldahar)
It has a plus something for damage and thaco against iorn golem. Also the wand of cloudkill works against them in bg2 but i dont know if you can get it in this game just cast cloudkill and run do this twice and it will die..
Old 10-16-2000, 04:07 PM   #6
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been through the game 4 times now, and I've NEVER had a problem with the Iron Golems. Just remember you need +3 weapons/arrows of Piercing, and they shouldn't be a problem. Stay away from their Cloudkill they breathe at the beginning, and rush em with hasted Fighters (I do tend to use a Fighter-heavy party, maybe this is why I've not had problems). Like the others said, Conlan's hammer owns them, but if you're lucky enough to have a +3 weapon with stunning abilities, use this instead. Keep your mage protected with Mirror Image/Stone Skin as well. And just remember there are only 4 in the whole game, with two of them in the final battle, so don't fret
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote