Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Hi I need some help with English vocabulary. I am not sure when to put comma (,) or is there only space like this xxxx: xxxx or is it xxx : xxx more correct? Thanks in advance folks.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Put the comma directly after the first word then leave a space after the comma before the 2nd word.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

These days, the use of the comma has diminished. Less is expected of it these days. It used to be used heavier, but now it seems that its use depends on the education of the user, whether he learned the old-school way or the new-school way. Get it?

Okay, as you can see, I can use commas this way, just as I am typing to give a little emphasis to the next phrase of my sentence. I will repeat what I just said, using the new comma rule:

Okay, as you can see I can use commas this way just as I am typing to give a little emphassis to the next phrase of my sentence.

See the difference? Both ways are acceptable in college grammer. Mostly, it will depend on the teacher grading the paper on whether she will count it right or wrong. You have to learn the quirks of the teacher and then please her, otherwise commas can be used really anywhere that they seem right. Or you can leave them out. For example, I could have used a comma right there instead of the period after the word "right", to have said:

You have to learn the quirks of the teacher and then please her, otherwise commas can be used anywhere that they seem right, or you can leave them out.

Commas are used also to make run-on sentences work more appropriately.

As for the colon mark, you are to place it with no space after the word that precedes it, then space once afterward, like this: See?

I hope this was not too long-winded.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Put the comma directly after the first word then leave a space after the comma before the 2nd word.

Comma = ","
Colon = ":"
Old 05-07-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

One more thing. Is there a space between a word and a question mark (?) or not?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Nope; like this, see?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

I don't like to nitpick (much!!) but it's grammar you are asking for help on, not vocabulary.

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Both ways are acceptable in college grammer.
Not if I'm marking . I've just finished marking my first lot of 1st year essays and I can tell you they'll nearly all learn something about grammar (and spelling - anyone else have the sensation of fingernails down a blackboard when they see there instead of their? [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] ) when they get them back

I abhor the loss of the comma. A lot of times it affects the meaning of the sentence to leave it out, for instance "However they found it..." means something different to However, they found it...". Much like the apostrophe, which a lot of people seem to think is optional these days, the comma does have a linguistic purpose - that hasn't changed!
Old 05-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

With that point I agree with you. I use the comma extensively, as I have been told, so you have no quarrel with me. I was just citing my English Grammer text book. I could reference the exact quote for you if it is important, but I do not think that you need proof.

I am glad to hear of teachers keeping the old ways alive.