Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-13-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I am in the ice temple in HOF mode. I am now doing the Battle square.
The only living creature on the floor is Nicadeamus.

I am casting some buffing spells or just standing around. As I watch the script screen I see my party rolling will and fortitude saving throws. I am not in battle. My Rougue failed a throw at one point and was killed.

I checked to make sure none of my party had any status effects like poison, disease etc. there were none.

What is causes these random saving throws.

PS. Why is it so much easier in HOF to Kill these Frostbrands, stormiesters and postulates than it was to kill a goblin in chapter one.
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:55 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Can't answer your first question - but the HOF question I CAN answer.

It's a matter of relative strengths. HOF does a HUGE bump to a characters hp's for starters. In IWD, the hps were modified by taking the original base hp's and multiplying by 3 or 4 and THEN adding 80. The characters approximate level was then recalculated to get its new thaco (remember this is IWD we're taking now). So a measly little 6 hp goblin suddenly becomes a 100 hp behemoth with approximately a 16 fold boost in level. Pretty tough for a party of first level characters to start up against.

Now take a 72 hp generic monster .... after HOF adjustment its at 296 hps. YIKES!!! Wait a minute though, this 296 hp monster is now less than three times as tough (at least in terms of hps) as the little weaking 6 hp goblin whereas before HOF it was 12 times tougher.

In addition, factor in the xp advancment of your party. The increase in monster xp is huge! That same little normal mode goblin would have gotten you virtually nothing for xp. In IWD, that same monster had a approximately 2000+ xp. Your characters level TREMENDOUSLY fast with that type of combat xp. So while you were fighting the original goblins with 1st level characters and the original generic monster with, oh let's say 9th level characters, in HOF mode, your same first level characters are now fighting something that is more akin to generic big monster. But those enhanced HOF generic monsters are now squaring off against characters that are more like 12 to 15th level. It makes a HUGE difference. Anyone who played through the original HOF mode in IWD will tell that the WORST fights were right at the beginning. Those BLASTED goblin archers were just tearing people up. Same principals apply in IWD2.

My apologies if the math is somewhat off here, I don't have the tables for xp in front of me and I am not sure of the EXACT HOF modeifications made in IWD2 - but the principals are still valid. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:02 PM   #3
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

On your first question, Did you have any festering drowned dead or Bonegaurds Summoned? Some undead will force you to make a saving throw or be killed. I found this out at some VERY unfortunate places in my game. [img]smile.gif[/img] But if you dont have any summoned then I dont know what it was. It will usualy affect only your people with the lowest constitution. And typicaly wont affect characters with spell resistance. My monk and Drow were NEVER affected. But my theif, cleric and barbarian(14 con or less) all bit it once or twice. And I dont think my fighter was affected(con 18).

Hope that helps.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:43 PM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
The increase in monster xp is huge! That same little normal mode goblin would have gotten you virtually nothing for xp. In IWD, that same monster had a approximately 2000+ xp.
If you ever wondered, in IWD its actually multiply the origional XP by 4, then add 2000.
Chickens (normaly 1 XP) are worth 2004 XP, and are really hard to kill.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:09 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ROTFLMAO ...

An 84 hp chicken just stretches credibility a tad for me - EVEN in HOF mode. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:10 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You think chickens are bad? Just wait til you try to break open a keg or barrel...

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 06:30 PM   #7
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

Thanks guys I had both Boneguards and festering drowned dead summoned. I guess that is what killed my thief. At least now i Know what it is.

I am really enjoying HOF mode. I really, really hope they make an expansion that can take imported charachters.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:02 AM   #8
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

What do you mean? You can import characters into HOF, but if you mean into IWD2 from IWD, no chance. The 3rd edition rules (IWD2) are incompatible *big word* with 2nd edition rules (IWD). There's an earlier thread on it, where it is explained in great detail.
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:49 AM   #9
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I think you misunderstood me Callum. I hope they make an expansion pack for IWD2 that allows importing from the Main IWD2 game. I wil have some strong charcters when I finish in HOF mode.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:29 AM   #10
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh right!
Black Isle said that they are definitely not going to make an expansion. Another sequel maybe, but no expansion. If they did however, I'm sure that you could import. In HoW, for IWD1, it was practically a necessity to import characters!
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote