Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Sukodin
Dungeon Master

SPOILER
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
Hello!

I just completed the Umar Hills campaign, by bypassing the Dragon and going right for the dread lord.

I tried the dragon a few times but he handed me my arse.. I have a party of mostly 11 and 12th lvl char's. Is it impossible? should I come back later?

In my party I have a Monk, an Elven Ranger, a Halfling Theif, Minsc, Amoen (Cleric), Cyrned (Druid)...

Also does anyone know where I can get a Quiver for arrows? I found a spel book and gem bag, but no quiver..

Is there any way one of my characters can use Identify scrolls? Or is there an alternative to going all the way back to town?

And why is it my monk cannot use his fists on alot of things.. It just tells me my weapon was inaffective..

Thanks for any help you can offer..

[ 10-16-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Sukodin ]
Old 10-16-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sukodin:
I tried the dragon a few times but he handed me my arse.. I have a party of mostly 11 and 12th lvl char's. Is it impossible? should I come back later?

I find it easier to kill it in chapter 6. You can try again before the end of chapter 3 if you like, but yeah, having a couple more levels on each of your characters would be a plus.

Also does anyone know where I can get a Quiver for arrows? I found a spel book and gem bag, but no quiver..

Spell book? Do you mean scroll case? If you only have SoA installed, those two and a Chapter 4 item will be about all the "onboard storage space" the game has to offer. ToB adds two more, and one of them will help with the ammo storage.

So, until you hit Chapter 4, you'll just have to find some other way to store those arrows. I find it easier to put three quoits of arrows on the character's inventory paper doll, keep three or four in inventory spaces, and dump the rest in a house someplace. Cernd's home in Waukeen's Promenade makes for an excellect ammo storage site, and as long as it's in a container, it won't disappear.

Is there any way one of my characters can use Identify scrolls? Or is there an alternative to going all the way back to town?

Eventually, the thief will have a high enough lore to identify small things, like arrows, just by right-clicking on it in the inventory. But no mages mean no ID spells. Sorry.

And why is it my monk cannot use his fists on alot of things.. It just tells me my weapon was inaffective..

Early in the game, monk fists aren't considered magical weapons. You'll only get the "weapon ineffective" message if a creature can only be hit by magical weapons (like a +1 sword). Later in the game, as your monk levels up, his fists will gain magical enchantments, and can count as magical weapons.

If you're new to BG2, I wholeheartedly recommend Six of Spades' site. It's not a walkthrough; rather, it's a handbook for how BG2 works, especially the rule system. It's well written and entertaining to boot. This site will answer just about any question you have about races, classes, kits, combat, etc.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
Sukodin
Dungeon Master

Thanks! for all of the help!
Old 10-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

With this dragon at this stage of the game, LOTS of summons (with high hp, like Bears) to keep him distracted help immensely. Looks like you'll be arrowing it to death. Keep your group around the dragon -- wolf pack tactics. One wing buffet can send 3 or 4 of you flying, and this dragon likes to wing buffet. Attack from all sides, hit him with arrows while summons distract him, and use healing potions (and speed potions). This dragon has enough room in his area for you to do the "can't catch me" bit as well. It is easy to dupe him into chasing one or two folks around the room while others hit with arrows.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Xzirox
Manshoon

Light Bulb

sounds like cheese :|
Old 10-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sukodin:
Almost NOTHING in this game is impossible, oddly enough. You've simply run into the "Ow! This Dragon kicked my ass! Dragons are tough!!!" That's because Dragons are supposed to be tough. This is, after all, a Dungeons and Dragons game we're talking about here. If your party gets a nice little adrenaline rush from killing things like Skeleton Warriors, don't expect you'll be able to whack something as cool as a Dragon just by spitting at it.

Come back later. Quite a lot of the major battles in this game can be put off for another time, or even avoided entirely. Get a better feel for the dynamics of the game, and then start making Dragon Jerky.

Quote:
In my party I have a Monk, an Elven Ranger, a Halfling Theif, Minsc, Amoen (Cleric), Cyrned (Druid)...
Okay, so you've got 4 Warriors (in order, Minsc, Ranger, Anomen, and later on your Monk)....
2 Priests (Anomen and Cernd), plus some minor Priest spells from your Rangers....
and a Thief.
Okay, that should certainly be enough pure brawling power to make most low-level fights a breeze, your Thieving skills sound like they're taken care of, and you've got plently of Priest spells as well (form both halves of the scroll, too). This party is capable of beating the game, but it probably won't be easy. By not including a Wizard, you're going to be missing out on quite a lot of very important spells, most of which (such as Greater Malison and Lower Magic Resistance) have no counterpart among the Wizard spells. You may feel that a Wizard wouldn't be much help in taking out those Skeleton Warriors (and you'd be right), but they're invaluable when facing major enemies, such as, well, Dragons.

Quote:
Pirengle was kind enough to mention my site, and now I'll point out a couple of points of interest for you. Read the first part of Chapter 8 to understand the "level of enchantment" on each weapon, and check out the Priest section of Chapter 4 (below Cernd's picture) to learn about Monks.

[ADD:] It's good that you put Spoiler tags in your title and 1st post, but they'd be more helpful if you gave hints on what the spoiler was about. As it stands now, "Help!! - Possible Spoiler" gives readers no indication whatever what you might be talking about, and thus leave them unsure about whether they should read your thread (and perhaps post info that could help you), or should not read your thread (and thus avoid being spoiled on a portion of the game that they haven't played yet. I would have called the thread something like "Please Help!! Temple Ruins (Possible Spoilers)."

[ 10-16-2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 10-16-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
Sukodin
Dungeon Master

Thank you all for all the advise. I was able to beat the Dragon after my first reply, befor I read some of the other posts here.

As mentioned in some of the posts, I used alot of bruts force and priest healing..

Six, thanks for all of your advise and I will be checking out your page shortly.. I chose to go without a Wizard, knowing it would be alot more difficult, but I wanted to try this combo of characters for my first game..

I knew the Dragon was going to be hard, but I wasnt sure if it was designed to be beatable by Characters of that level, or if I was supposed to come back to it at a later time, and I did not want to waste my whole afternoon trying to fight a fight that was a sure loose, as I was warned by an NPC that I should avoide the fight...

As for the Monk fist's I thought that DnD rulse give Monk fists a "Magical Rating" at like 3rd or 4th level.. Although I may be wrong on that one also, having not played to many monk's before...

Also, thanks for the advise on the Title, I fixed it..

+++++++++

[EDIT] - Didnt know that was part of ToB.. I installed the whole Collection at the same time.. [EDIT]

[ 10-17-2003, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Sukodin ]
Old 10-17-2003, 12:29 AM   #8
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Just for future reference...

There are two keeps, one in SoA and one in ToB. The keep you mentioned is in a ToB area. As with Six's mention about spoiler warnings, try to keep ToB references out of your posts on this board, or give plenty of warnings that they're about ToB. I say this because not everyone here has ToB. (Also because I had SoA before ToB, and got a MAJOR ToB spoiler on this board, and stumbled across it because the person didn't bother with spoil tags. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2003, 02:03 AM   #9
Sonic
Zhentarim Guard

Hey six i yust wanted to say that if you dount got a Wizard/Sorceres then you dount need a lower resistanse spell : Whit that party i dount think their yusing Offenciv damaging spells.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:02 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic:
Whit that party i dount think their yusing Offenciv damaging spells.
Sure you are: Spells such as Insect Plague, Greater Command, Harm, Doom, Bolt of Glory, Dolorous Decay, Finger of Death, etc, are all subject to Magic Resistance. Most of them allow Saving Throws, as well, so the difference between having a Wizard and not having a Wizard pretty much equates to all of the enemy Dragons having -4 bonuses to all of their Saves, and +50% Magic Resistance.