Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-30-2001, 07:21 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

Okay, I'm gonna make a go of it and beat the game with a party, not soloing, and using the NPC's in the game. I want to see it in all its glory.

So my question is, which type of character should be my first time through? I am so many cool (to me) character concepts, that I cannot decide! I'm primarily wondering what party combination would be a pleasant experience, in terms of dialogue and ease of use. I'm thinking I'll want to take Minsc along definitely, and perhaps Jan and Viconia. These 3 can provide a solid backbone (thieving and mage skills, a cleric with good combat ability with the right setup, and a solid tank), and just expand from there.

Any suggestions? Or perhaps, which characters do you favor the most as a "lead" role? Any replies are appreciated.

------------------
He Will Win
Whose Army Is Animated
By The Same Spirit
Throughout Its Ranks

Sun Tzu - The Art of War
Old 10-30-2001, 07:27 PM   #2
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

try a kensia dualed to a mage at level 15, if youve never tried it. I think youll like it. Its the best of both worlds.

------------------
"They come in the dark. Always in the dark. Gods how I fear the dark..." -Eldgrige Ebonall

"The only good mage is a dead mage, or at least one that can't cast spells" Sven Stonebreaker

"Warriors and wizards, what else is next" KeNciL KiLkaDiN
Old 10-30-2001, 07:53 PM   #3
jabidas
Silver Dragon

You might want to ba a Mage or a Sorcerer to get the real magical power in the game, you dont have Imoen down for definate and later in the game magic is the most important thing especially in ToB, you might bring Edwin along instead but you need a high powered mage.

You are going to need anohter tank so a good choice for a fighter is monk, thats an understatement and Im sure there are a lot of people on the board who will testify to this so you might want to check it out. A paladin is a nice easy boring choice so dont try it, why not check out a barbarian for kicks, they rock, excellent choice very much something everyone should check out if they can.

You have 3 definates so I get to suggest 2 charecters, if you pick a fighter bring Edwin, if you take a mage bring Korgan or Keldorn along. For the last choice Id just say take Edwin along anyway because hes my favorite charecter, aside from that try Mazzy for back up.

I suppose I really pushed the mage thing but in ToB it is soo important

------------------

jabidas = Sorcerer of clan Aerie thing

Also I will have nothing to do with sulpher powder and secret priesthoods so dont even try it.

And dont worry soon you shall all be part of my ever growing army of the undead.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:06 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

while es going on about mages i ight point out that im half way thru ToB and still have not fired of a spell above level 7.

i just dont get round to it. or i save it for a special occasion, but nobody seems hard enough to waste one.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:51 PM   #5
Synthos
Manshoon

Just pick what you think you'd like to play and that would fit into your party, I played through all of BG 1 and most of TotSC with a Paladin, now I'm in the middle of SoA with him again.. I usually go with a party like this:
Fighter (tank)
Paladin (tank)
Cleric (back up tank and magic) For you, Viconia
Mage (Sling + Magic)
Theif (Short bow) Or in your case of Jan, crossbow)
Ranger (Long bow/Comp long bow) in your case Minsc

I like this party set-up, you might not.. Minsc could also move up and tank, which is what I did. I really do recommend you get a paladin, they're awesome with the holy avenger... Fighter is general, you could put another ranger in there or a monk, your choice.. The only straight NPC mage is Edwin, he's definetly the best choice for pure magic power, otherwise I would go with Nalia.. Aerie in NOT a good choice for a mage OR a cleric, she gains levels real slow and doesn't get lvl 9 mage spells... Keldorn and Viconia may have... differences.. you could try them together or you could be a paladin yourself..
Dispite what Jabidas said Paladins are not boring, else why would I play one through the first and soon the second game? Paladins are a nice starting character, after the first game you can experiment, which is what I'm doing..

Have fun!

------------------

Quote:
"Est Sularis Oth Mithas"-->Honour Is My Life
Old 10-30-2001, 11:32 PM   #6
Quikdeth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

All this talk of who should be in who's party yet still no one has mentioned Aerie, the goddess of the game. Shame on you all.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:31 AM   #7
tehmpus
The Magister

I think if I had to do it all over, this would be a good group:

1) Personal Character (Paladin)
2) Aeire (Cleric/Wizard) --Viconia is evil...
3) Nalia (Wizard/thief) --pretty much a straight wizard
4) Minsc (Ranger) --good secondary tank, plus comes with a Boo
5) Yoshimo or Jan (Thief) --Yoshimo uses katana which is good later on.
6) Jahera (Druid/Fighter) --Good for a third tank w/healing spells.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-31-2001, 04:47 AM   #8
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
while es going on about mages i ight point out that im half way thru ToB and still have not fired of a spell above level 7.

i just dont get round to it. or i save it for a special occasion, but nobody seems hard enough to waste one.
So you have never used time stop? or abi-dalzims? Then there isn't much point in having a powerful mage.