Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-24-2002, 12:59 PM   #41
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:

Easy solution to this.
Try making friends with a few non-christians who won't mind it if they feel it is justified, then rent them space and if you're family is threatened, they'll act for you! (not being sarcastic here at all, honest!

That's it! You're wonderful! It'll be just like in that movie!

~Larry runs out to the streets, begging for athiests to come live with him.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:43 PM   #42
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

heh [img]smile.gif[/img] in this case the "harm" came to those who did the dirty deed so to speak, Im sure given the chance to do this again they would probably chose differently. I seriously doubt that they were taking the gas for pristine and noble reasons..but we will never know..thats to the volitility of the situation...so to speak

What I meant was that who cares what they did it for. It might have helped them and it was not going to be used for anything else. I personally would have no problem justifying this morally, it simply doesn't make sense to tell people who could make their lives better "Don't do this, no practical reason, just don't.". I am a Christian and I am fairly sure God would understand. The difficult bit I have understanding is why they thought the risk was worth it.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-24-2002, 02:05 PM   #43
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:

What I meant was that who cares what they did it for. It might have helped them and it was not going to be used for anything else. I personally would have no problem justifying this morally, it simply doesn't make sense to tell people who could make their lives better "Don't do this, no practical reason, just don't.". I am a Christian and I am fairly sure God would understand. The difficult bit I have understanding is why they thought the risk was worth it.

Actually I dont think I was addressing wether what they did was a sin or not..I think I explained WHY they thought the risk was worth it... [img]smile.gif[/img] It was because they were stupid! They, like oh so very very many of our fellow humans were incapable of relating cause and effect.

Lets see molten rock at several thousand degrees + gasoline vapors from barrels =? a quick buck? no....free gas? nooooo hiighly explosive incident resulting in some major owies....hmmmmm YES!!!!

Notice I don't feel any real need to feel sad for people who through an act of sheer stupidity blew themselves up...Now there is the possibility that they were merely ignorant and not stupid..maybe they did not know gasoline was combustable.....or that molten lava is hot...but somehow I just see this as being the case. I firmly believe that they saw what they thought was a way to make a quick buck and paid the price...the papers in the USA are full of similar things from criminals...like the guy who robbed a bank and wrote the robbery note on the back of one of his Personal Checks..with his name, address and phone number on the front....DoH!

Old 01-24-2002, 02:58 PM   #44
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey! I love those stupid crook stories!
Frequently, they play them on the morning radio shows.
Like a guy who was selling crack on the streets, and he was charging state taxes and writing receipts!!
Took the police very little time to get him. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2002, 03:10 PM   #45
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Hey! I love those stupid crook stories!
Frequently, they play them on the morning radio shows.
Like a guy who was selling crack on the streets, and he was charging state taxes and writing receipts!!
Took the police very little time to get him. [img]smile.gif[/img]

He probably heard soemwhere that tax evasion is how they got Scarface Al Capone [img]smile.gif[/img] or maybe someone told him that his customers could write the expense off on his taxes [img]smile.gif[/img] See here we once again see the process of natural selection at work [img]smile.gif[/img] altho we arrested him before he could exit the gene pool for good [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #46
andora20
Manshoon

You all seem to think that these people stole the gas for their own profit. (At least thats the vibe I get from the thread) Maybe they took it to power ambulances or busses/trucks that may help others to get out of danger. If this is the case then these people are Heroes, even though the plan may have backfired on them.Try walking a mile in their shoes before making any assumptions about them. Personaly, I would have no problem in taking stuff thats been abandoned anyway. In some eyes it may be seen as theft, but I recently found out that my aligbment is true neutral, so I'd have no quams about it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2002, 07:21 AM   #47
Jorath Calar
Harper

I am so sick of religious debates on these boards. why can't we just all be friends and respect what others believe. why the constant need to prove the other guy wrong?

I don't care what you believe, but I'll respect your believe as long as you don't try to force it upon me.

quote:

See I'm an evolved being who deals solely with the source of light which exists in all of us, no middleman requierd....

-Bill Hicks
Old 01-25-2002, 07:28 AM   #48
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by andora20:
You all seem to think that these people stole the gas for their own profit. (At least thats the vibe I get from the thread) Maybe they took it to power ambulances or busses/trucks that may help others to get out of danger. If this is the case then these people are Heroes, even though the plan may have backfired on them.Try walking a mile in their shoes before making any assumptions about them. Personaly, I would have no problem in taking stuff thats been abandoned anyway. In some eyes it may be seen as theft, but I recently found out that my aligbment is true neutral, so I'd have no quams about it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Umm Sorry I have no desire to walk in the shoes of someone not bright enough to keep from being blown up.....its like saying "Don't knock suicide untill you have tried it" it just ain't gonna happen. (oh by the way, looting in the evacuated towns was the lead story that drew my attention to the whole issue)

Old 01-25-2002, 07:31 AM   #49
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I am so sick of religious debates on these boards. why can't we just all be friends and respect what others believe. why the constant need to prove the other guy wrong?

I don't care what you believe, but I'll respect your believe as long as you don't try to force it upon me.

-Bill Hicks

Hehe [img]smile.gif[/img] I sort of thought hte main focus of this thread was a David Letterman like "Stupid People Tricks" Im pretty sure if we try hard here we can come up with a Top 10 list too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2002, 08:31 AM   #50
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

-Bill Hicks

Before you go and get upset, think about what really has happened in this thread. a comment ws made, and it ws decided by some tha according to their religious beliefs, that action was rendered harmles, yet some agreed together that such an act was a lack of a belief. Nobody pulled out any guns and there ws no holy war.
Some of us tried to imagine ourselves in a similar situation, and we expressed our thoughts on what we might have done differently.

Again I say, nobody was hurt in this conversation, and nobody has been lmade to cry.
Where is the problem, then?