Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2002, 08:37 AM   #1
andrewas
Harper

Sir Exxon emailed me to say he cant get into IW. He emailed Ziroc and got told it was probably a DNS problem , So I told him to put in a hosts file. Didnt work, so he MSNd me. This is where it gets interesting.

He can ping the IP or the URL
He can get in using the IP

He *cannot* get in using the URL. Every diagnostic I can think of checks out fine. He is definatley using the right URL, since I MSNd him a link straight to gencon. And for those wondering, getting in with the IP is not sufficient since all the links here use the URL. And yes, I too thought that this behaviour was impossible to get.

To be honest Ive run out of ideas, does anyone else here have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 08:52 AM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hmm strange did you say to him what i have done here with my dns thing? It works great here and he is from Norway as i am so he cant get that error 500 like did when i try the hosts file you say should work here but dont do!!

So the best advice i can give is that try to change the damn DNS thingie again and it is working here now.
Preferred DNS Server: 194.19.2.11
Alternate DNS Server: 194.19.3.11

And use "Obtain an IP Adress Atomatically!

And also tell him to log in to http://www.dmrealms.net/board/ikonboard.cgi
There we can discuss this more if he want to because IW is a hard place to log in to if you have any dns problems! So Z maby you should check out your DNS and ip thingie here because this is not normale for a website that many of the users cant log in here!

[ 09-15-2002, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 09-15-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Exxon came online again, tried the alternate DNS servers - still no luck. I dont think this is a DNS problem since he can ping the URL but not access the site.

And he *can* get in by IP, which makes no sense.

Ill get him to re-install IE, see if that make any difference. As always, any suggestions welcome.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:16 PM   #4
StigTC

One of you moderator types propably let your finger slip on the ban button.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
Old 09-15-2002, 01:34 PM   #5
Sir Exxon
Zartan

No worries, everybody, it seems to work for me again. I was simply browsing through here using the IP just now, when I suddenly didnt have to type the IP!
This is great! Thanks for all the help, Andrewas, and Megabot. [img]smile.gif[/img]