Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2001, 06:31 PM   #1
Artemis
Dungeon Master

I wanted to pose a question about who people think is the all-star team of good. Obviously the answer is impacted by the class & skills of the main character, so feel free to share all that too!

My principal character is a fighter/mage gal I imported from BG1, but with her enhanced strength at 19 and dex at 20 (she's an elf), I have her primarily as a mean sword/archer in confrontations and a spellcaster for preparing for those confrontations (haste, stoneskin, major protection, etc.). Here is what I'm presently running with, although I'm only in the beginning of chapter three:
- Minsc...need him as 2nd strong sword and am attached to him emotionally anyway. Great warrior.
- Jaheira as 3rd sword and druid spellcaster. She presently doesn't offer much help in the sword department, but i'm saving up to give her the girdle of giant strength and then we'll see! She's a candidate to be dropped though.
- Aerie...great spellcaster as a mage and cleric...plus Minsc is attached to her and i need to keep him (don't know if he'd bail if i dropped her). definitely plan on keeping her around for her spell-casting prowess across the two disciplines.
- Yoshimo...doesn't add much beyond thieving skills, which i need while imoen is gone (don't know when she gets back...please don't spoil it for me!). Would be open to drop him if I could replace those thieving skills.
- Nalia...good high-level magic user and figure while i'm in fighter mode i need another spell-caster behind me. she's the other candidate to get the boot, but i want one dedicated mage who can reach the higher level spells eventually.

i haven't run across many of the other good NPCs yet, but would be tempted by a good paladin/warrior to replace me as a sword and then i'd shift into spell-caster mode. i doubt there's anyone who could truly replace the effectiveness of my sword cuz i'm certifiably a mean be-atch in that mode...

what other all-star good teams are people working with?

[This message has been edited by Artemis (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 07:25 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Potential SPOILERS:
>
>
>
>
>
>
If you don't mind neutrals, have Jan....he spices up party conversations.
If you don't use katanas and have a powerful katana in your party, let Valygar dual wield.
Got a good shot bow and no one wants to use it? Take Mazzy.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-08-2001, 09:29 PM   #3
Azrael Abyss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This will be fun...

Keldorn: The very definition of righteous butt kicking.
Minsc: Awesome with a bow or two handed sword.
Mazzy: Awesome with a bow and also has a great dex score.
Jaheira or Cernd: I prefer Jaheira because she is more of a fighter and has some great lines but Cernd is the better druid.
Imoen: Best NPC in the game. Aside from the obvious plot motivator, she is probably the most useful. Nalia is like the poor mans Imoen.
Anomen: I hate the guy but he is a competent fighter and a good cleric.

That would be 6 from the game. I have found the best character to play is either one of the Paladin sub classes (undead hunter especially) or as a fighter with max proficiencies in long bow dualed to a mage. Ironically, a fighter with 5 slots in long bow is MUCH better than an "archer" and when dualed as a mage is unreal tough...

Azrael Abyss

------------------
I'm the prince of sorrow... Woooo!
Old 03-08-2001, 10:04 PM   #4
OBI WAN
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I seem to always have a habit to keep the same chracters all throughout the game. I feel abit sad when I've got to drop someone. If only you could have more chracters with you. Say about 8? Or maybe just 6 and the other two could tug along but you don't have control of them. And at least they be gaining experince points. I haven't released Imoen yet in the game, but I think twice in giving up Yoshimo because I've sort of got used to the guy.
Old 03-09-2001, 04:47 AM   #5
dafan

Keldorn: cause he would replace korgan who eventually messes up with Aerie

Aerie: the best spellcaster that is almost availble from he beginning

Minsc: A great expreience gainer with his twohanded swordskills and eventually able to use some priestspells

Jaheira: quite good in both fighting and spells... useable... good at animal summoner

Nalia: use her till you meet Imoen again than leave her

Old 03-09-2001, 06:14 AM   #6
Dimension X
Dungeon Master

Jaheira: Fights pretty well with the Staff of Arundel (Damn those Elves...Staff of the Woodlands in Chapter 7?!! What were they thinking??)

Anomen: Give him the Crom Faeyr and he rocks. After being knighted, he makes for a pretty decent Cleric due to his high HP

Keldorn: Two words -- Holy Avenger

Aerie: All in one mage/cleric. Complements the spell inventory of Anomen and Imoen.

Imoen: [Spoiler] It's your sister, for goodness' sake!! Take her along. She makes for a pretty good mage too...Level 16 in my game, and kicking asses with those Level 8 spells.

------------------
A Drawn Sword;
A Trickle Of Blood;
The Tempest Is Brewing.
Nemesis....
Old 03-09-2001, 07:27 AM   #7
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

My PC is mage then I need good fighters.

Keldorn: with Carsomyr and gauntlets of dexterity
Minsc: dual wield Flail of Ages and Daystar
Jaheira: druid spells
Aerie: mage and cleric spells and sling
Yoshimo: detecting traps, open locks... later I replace him with Imoen

Korgan is good, I had him in Windspear Hills.

I am in chapter 3.

------------------
Old 03-09-2001, 08:29 AM   #8
Lord Shield

Good team: Aerie (obviously), Anomen, Jaheira, Minsc or Valygar, Yoshimo or Jan, and play a good PC type (Undead Hunter was my choice)

Old 03-09-2001, 11:04 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimension X:

Imoen: [Spoiler] It's your ******, for goodness' sake!! Take her along. She makes for a pretty good mage too...Level 16 in my game, and kicking asses with those Level 8 spells.

Dimension X, don't take this as a flame, but just a word of advice for the future. I know it's difficult to not show that you know something about the game, but for you to reveal that particular bit of information about Imoen was totally unnecessary. It's a huge spoiler. And after Artemis had specifically said not to spoil him. If you're going to put this kind of spoiler, at least put spoiler spaces before your spoiler warning, which is on the same line as where the spoiler actually is - so what's the point of putting the spoiler warning? Think of how you would have felt if you found out about that in Chapter 1 or 2. There were a million other ways you could've shown Imoen's benefits without having to reveal that.

Please edit your post and delete that comment so as not to spoil for others.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-15-2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 12:27 PM   #10
Azrael Abyss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Everyone likes Aerie. I couldn't stand her. Not just her character but I felt she was a lousy spellcaster. She was WAY too easily hurt. I like Imoen better because of her high dex score or Nalia because at least they can wield a bow.

Azrael Abyss

------------------
I'm the prince of sorrow... Woooo!