Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

(I think that Lower Dorn's Deep is Chapter 5. This next part contains some MAJOR Lower Dorn's Deep spoilers.)
(If you haven't finished the game, and don't want to be spoiled...
...please stop reading. Thank you!)

Down the the Lower Dorn's Deep oubliette, you get to the sfvirneblin village and discover the truth behind the ultimate betrayal. Question is, is there any way to exact justice by slicing the person in question into little itty bitty pieces? I haven't finished HoW yet.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:53 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

If you are referring to,
~
~
~
~
Spoiler
~
~
~
~
Nym, then short of doing it directly, there is no quest way to do it. The conclusion of Nym's role in the tragedy was unfortunately left unfinished. As it is, you can just buy the necessary stuff from Nym( which he apparently stole from the Severed Hand. You need them to finish some quests there, and restore some life/diginity to it), and then fillet his guts.

Remember to buy the items BEFORE you attack!
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:09 AM   #3
Jim
Quintesson

Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
He can be killed (although as Dundee correctly states not via quest means). However, as soon as he is attacked, he turns hostile and escapes via dimension door. Since he is drow, he has high magic resistance, as well as impressive saving throws (against spells anyway). You can therefore try and stun him with a high level chromatic orb/other holding spell, and then hack him to pieces. (although this will take many attempts!). However, last time I played this, he used dimension door, but did not leave the map, he just moved to another location within the village - the temple to be exact, upon where he recieved a savage beating from my team of ultimate badasses.

However, if you choose to leave him well alone, I wouldn't worry because

*SPOILER*
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
He makes another apperance in IWD II
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

He makes another apperance in IWD II

OOOOOOOOH!

Moiraine Sedai
Old 08-01-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] Just like Seamon Havarian in Baldur`s Gate [img]smile.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
Yanez
Manshoon

This topic is already marked as spoilerish, so I won't add another spoiler tag.

As I recall Nym always teleports himself (at least in my games, he did) to temple in svirfneblin village, when you attack him. Obviously he knows that svirfneblin are softhearted bunch and Beorn will resurrect him after your party exacts justice over him. So from roleplaying point of view his reappearance in IWD 2 is OK.

[ 08-01-2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Yanez ]
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:48 PM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

The little bastards role in IWD2 is explained, but what about Malavon, Ginafae and a few others? Personally, when I saw any of them in IWD2 i slaughtered their resurrecting asses(I haven't crossed the profanity limit yet, have I?). Offcourse, I did off their quests first, I'm not a dumb ass(how about now?). If the creators would hold it to some kind of pattern I'm wondering if they will come back in IWD3, if there will be such a thing.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

AAaaarrrggghhh....

I finally got around to meeting this slimeball, and would have sliced and diced him on the spot had I not been forewarned. I am glad I allowed myself to get spoiled by you guys beforehand. I am also glad no one gave away the particulars: It was enough to know that he is dirt bag AND a necessary NPC with which to interact to complete a high-value quest.

I noticed an item name, in the room (near Nym's store) where you can rest, and other item descriptions around the village, that I think tie back to events/storyline in the Prologue; but it has been so long since I've started the game that I have forgotten. Does anyone remember if the connection (if there is one)?

Well, I got my arms full of quest items, and I am going back to a certain place to get a whole boat load of expo for at least two quests (and pick up a necessary item to complete yet another). I should level up most all of my guys. Then I'll place the last 2 of my 6 badges to clear the way to RBP. Then I am going back to a certain dark elf to buy everything I think I'll ever want from him. And **THEN** it is Cuisinart time for said elf....

Are there advantages of any kind, either way, to entering combat via dialogue vs. just surrounding and starting a smack-fest on him?

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:54 PM   #9
Yanez
Manshoon

I haven't noticed any difference between challenging him through dialogue and smacking him, but I usually let the dwarf or an elf in my party to deliver first blow, since they were the races that suffered most from Nym's scheeming.
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #10
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Some spoilers
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
In IWD2 Malavon, Ginafae and a few others that return are explained. While with Ginafae your suppose to save her not kill, her brother Malavon is not who he appears in IWD it is just a clone of the real Malavon, gone amock, and the first clone you face is a clone of the clone. I actually enjoyed this little continuing story in IWD2. If there were an IWD3 they would probaly be included again. One of the things I really liked about IWD2 was, "I remember that NPC, Cool".

[ 08-19-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote