Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-27-2001, 07:14 AM   #161
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Actually casual derives from the latin word casus {event} and casualty derives from casual (when casus is changed to casualis, which has a double meaning...event or fortuitous)

In old french the words seperated with casualitis {casualty} meaning chance, accident

The words stayed seperate in Middle English...with casuelte and casuel

The root of the word is actually case
That'll teach me to be too lazy to check it in my OED! Thanks, Moridin! But I wasn't TOO far out, was I?! WAS I!? (hates being wrong.... hates being wrong.... hates being wrong.... )

------------------

Old 09-27-2001, 09:48 AM   #162
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
By the way, how do you think that you recieved the right to express what you feel? Wars were fought, brave men and innocent people died. I'm not saying I want the innocent to die. Our government that you seem to have such a distaste for, (although some may be bastards) don't want to see innocents die. But if you are wondering what violence gets, well, in some cases it gets freedom. Whether you want to admit it or not, our freedom has been challenged. If you don't agree, how would you like every phone call that you make recorded? It may well happen if we allow this to go on without violence. We have tried all we can (The U.S, offered Afghanistan aid for their coutry today if they would only hand over bin Laden) and it has failed. All you have today can be attributed to 'violence'. Sorry to break it to ya.
So are you saying that those who died to GIVE him and many others the right to NOT fight or to believe as he does and honor his beliefs by following them with action/nonaction, didn't really want us to have those particular beliefs or rights? That because violence was necessary to earn the rights, only aggressive belief systems are now an option?!

I am for action against the terrorists, myself. I want desperately to see that no innocent blood is shed, and I know it may happen. But I will say this, I defend to the utmost, the rights of those I disagree with to say what they think and to feel the way they feel! Some of my own family has shed blood for this nation, and I'm damn proud of what they've done. But if someone tells me he or she IS a pacifist and cannot fight or advocate violence on moral grounds based on their beliefs, I respect that. The freedom that those wars have won us it just that, the freedom to follow our consciences. Most such people that I know are fully aware of how this nation was born and how it is defended. They simply can't advocate such things in their personal lives.

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-27-2001, 09:55 AM   #163
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
That'll teach me to be too lazy to check it in my OED! Thanks, Moridin! But I wasn't TOO far out, was I?! WAS I!? (hates being wrong.... hates being wrong.... hates being wrong.... )

I just have a very good source of info on the web oh and two semesters of latin...which finally has paid off

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-27-2001, 10:00 AM   #164
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Okay, well all I can say is I hope you are right, but you have more faith in the wisdom of my gov't and its leaders than I do.
Many of us do, Dio. Doesn't mean they don't or won't make mistakes, because they are, after all, only human. But it does meant that we understand this is the way it IS and we pray it works out for the best.

You know, sometimes I see these 'serious' discussions and I keep out. I've been asked why on occasion. I think of several reasons. Firstly, I'm not big on public ridicule and scorn of individuals and their opinions and have seen a fair amount of it in recent threads. Secondly, I have opinons, like the next guy, but often have to ask, will an all out debate with someone who adamantly opposes me and will never change his/her mind really make me feel any better for having posted? Sometimes I just think it's futile to bother. Then again, Dio, your argument that at least one person out there might be swayed has a little merit So here I am invading 'serious territory' today. Dunno if you want to take it, but the credit or blame is yours!

Cloudbringer

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-27-2001, 10:02 AM   #165
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I just have a very good source of info on the web oh and two semesters of latin...which finally has paid off

LOL, took 4yrs of Latin in HS.. guess I should have reviewed in College!
Nicen sourcing of the roots, btw.

CB
Old 09-28-2001, 03:01 AM   #166
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Many of us do, Dio. Doesn't mean they don't or won't make mistakes, because they are, after all, only human. But it does meant that we understand this is the way it IS and we pray it works out for the best.

You know, sometimes I see these 'serious' discussions and I keep out. I've been asked why on occasion. I think of several reasons. Firstly, I'm not big on public ridicule and scorn of individuals and their opinions and have seen a fair amount of it in recent threads. Secondly, I have opinons, like the next guy, but often have to ask, will an all out debate with someone who adamantly opposes me and will never change his/her mind really make me feel any better for having posted? Sometimes I just think it's futile to bother. Then again, Dio, your argument that at least one person out there might be swayed has a little merit So here I am invading 'serious territory' today. Dunno if you want to take it, but the credit or blame is yours!

Cloudbringer

Credit of course !!!!
Old 09-28-2001, 03:53 AM   #167
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

just little side note here:

don't f--- with Yorick, he is ma bratha n I gota hiz back. if you f--- wit 'im you f--- wiz me. WEST SIDE RULEZ!!!

LOL, sorry, I am making the matter worse...

anyway, I only read one post, that is by Yorick... so I don't know whats going on... everyone have fun!!!
Old 09-28-2001, 07:06 AM   #168
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

LOL@250.

Goofball! HEHE

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-28-2001, 09:14 AM   #169
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
just little side note here:

don't f--- with Yorick, he is ma bratha n I gota hiz back. if you f--- wit 'im you f--- wiz me. WEST SIDE RULEZ!!!

LOL, sorry, I am making the matter worse...

anyway, I only read one post, that is by Yorick... so I don't know whats going on... everyone have fun!!!
LOL 250

Of course you should read more posts than just Yoricks...diversify a little...read mine too

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 10-02-2001, 05:35 PM   #170
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
LOL 250

Of course you should read more posts than just Yoricks...diversify a little...read mine too

of course! just... I dont want to dig into long ass thread like this kind hope you understand that