Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #21
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
Hmmm... I'm trying to find a free online multiplayer tennis game. HAven't has a lot of luck so far. Tell me if you stumble across one, Vaskez - Prepare to own me! Mwa ha ha ha!
Hey man, I was talking about REAL sport, not computer games [img]tongue.gif[/img] I didn't say I was good at sports simulations - I prefer the real thing [/QUOTE]Since when has tennis been a REAL sport?

How 'bout some kick boxing or shoot fighting? As soon as tennis becomes a full contact sport it can be considered a REAL sport, but not until.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:57 PM   #22
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Black Baron seems to be the best source for advice on this. It's only rarely that I play these days.

If you're a beginner, decide what pieces you like to play. One big distinction is those who favor knights vs. those who favor bishops for use early in the game. I prefer knights, which dictates a lot of my style.

Just play, play, and play -- experience is the best teacher. When in doubt, push a pawn. If you are playing people of your basic skill level, you will note the game is usually won by the one who can get the pawns across the board.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #23
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

For some reason, whenever I sacrifice a bishop for a knight, I win mroe often than if I sacrifice a knight for a bishop... =/

Okay, I'll search you out, Black Baron.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:15 PM   #24
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
Hmmm... I'm trying to find a free online multiplayer tennis game. HAven't has a lot of luck so far. Tell me if you stumble across one, Vaskez - Prepare to own me! Mwa ha ha ha!
Hey man, I was talking about REAL sport, not computer games [img]tongue.gif[/img] I didn't say I was good at sports simulations - I prefer the real thing [/QUOTE]Since when has tennis been a REAL sport?

How 'bout some kick boxing or shoot fighting? As soon as tennis becomes a full contact sport it can be considered a REAL sport, but not until.
[/QUOTE]Well technically I guess tennis is a game so it's not a real sport. I don't even know where to draw the boundary between games and sports. Generally I say anything that gets you sweating (sweating cos you're fat doesn't count ) is a sport i.e. tennis = sport, martial arts = sports, darts and pool are NOT - they are games.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #25
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Black Baron or anyone who knows a bit about chess, here're a couple of questions for you:

Castling on the kingside. Should I take the g-pawn and move it forward and move my bishop in there, or move my h-pawn forward?

Connecting Knights. I've noticed people start to do this more and more. Is it actually worth it?
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:20 PM   #26
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmmm chess... an admirable thinking-man's game, but I'd rather leave the thinking to my work and not use my brain in my spare time That time is for drinking and sport, not more thinking!
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-25-2004, 08:51 PM   #27
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
...Castling on the kingside. Should I take the g-pawn and move it forward and move my bishop in there, or move my h-pawn forward?...
My personal preference is to only move pawns enough to get the bishop out of the way. Once castled, the King and Rook will be in the "old" Bishop and Knight's spots, so I tend to move those two pawns forward one space and leave the two on either side where they start out. This allows me to move my King out of a Knight's check if need be, but still protects the King (in most cases) from any other checks.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #28
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

You mean take the g and f pawn out?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:16 PM   #29
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Having said what I did, I must now maintain that chess is for wusses.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:20 AM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:

Connecting Knights. I've noticed people start to do this more and more. Is it actually worth it?
Well I don't know what the specific meaning of "connecting knights" is, but if you mean using them in tandem to wreck havoc, I like doing that a whole lot. Against someone less experienced, you can usually use the Knights to threaten on the Queen's side and force your competitor into choosing between losing a Rook or losing a Queen. Even if you lose your knight in such a trade, you come out ahead -- at least as far as the points are calculated. On the King's side you can easily force a movement of Yon Monarch (illegal to Castle out of "check") -- which will prevent your opponent from Castling and let you know you have Yon Monarch pinned down a bit more.

[edit]I don't mean to overplay the knight. Remember that in the "endgame" the knight is limited. Two knights cannot create a "checkmate" without the assistance of a third piece, for instance.

[ 05-26-2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]