Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-15-2001, 06:27 PM   #21
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Very nice, Moni. I'm going to save that, too.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair. {and occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy .}*
Old 09-15-2001, 06:27 PM   #22
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:

because of the fact that christanity can be twisted to fit any set of morals or ethics he can justify petty bigotry through it. He's probably just in religion to make money though, a lot of people are.
Exactly. Which is why I don't attend church services, as much of a christian as I am.

FastHands,
You're Welcome
Thank you

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-15-2001, 06:48 PM   #23
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well there are a lot of small churches out there that are true-blue, and not out to make money. So I still have faith in churches. No doubt though, seems that most of the Ministers you see on TV are bloated up suits, spending all sorts of money on a big visual show for TV, yet then talk about "donations for the poor", then you find out later how much went to the Church and all their extravagances instead of the poor. Now, this is only my opinion from what I have seen, maybe there really is a decent honest Minister on TV, and I just haven't heard of him before.

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 07:14 PM   #24
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well there are a lot of small churches out there that are true-blue, and not out to make money. So I still have faith in churches. No doubt though, seems that most of the Ministers you see on TV are bloated up suits, spending all sorts of money on a big visual show for TV, yet then talk about "donations for the poor", then you find out later how much went to the Church and all their extravagances instead of the poor. Now, this is only my opinion from what I have seen, maybe there really is a decent honest Minister on TV, and I just haven't heard of him before.

You are absolutely right about the existence of true blue churches Ladyzekke, but there haven't been any (yet) in my path!
Well dressed and well fed ministers living in modern housing while their parish dresses in rags and saves their leftovers for their next full meal. It is disheartening.
I prefer the missionary approach and honesty to religion...a practice what you preach kind of thing.

If there are honest TV preachers, you'd probably only see them on cable public access.

An added note... Some 45 year old stranger came to our door today looking for Rex's late grandmother...I invited him in to talk to grandpa and he shared the most heartwarming stories of when he was a small child in a large poor family who only had a two room shack to live in.
Every Christmas morning a knock would come on the door and when they answered it, no one would be there, but there would be a big pile of Christmas presents and food for the whole family. He was amazed that their "Santa Claus", even though they knew it really wasn't Santa, knew what they all wanted and when he wished for certain toys, they'd be there.
He was so inspired by this continuing outpouring of love from a total stranger over the years, that he is now a minister who uses those experiences to get communities to uplift their poor and impoverished.
He only found out a few years ago, from someone who knew that "Santa Claus" was Rex's grandmother and he wanted to thank her personally for the difference she made in his life.
It brought him to tears that he missed being able to give Rex's grandma a hug before she passed away so I hugged him for her and assured him that she is aware of his grace and gratitude.
Poor grandpa, in his post-stroke state of mind, barely remembers that poor family and the gifts that changed their life, but he told the man "Well, that's why we are here."
I have been subjected myself to the selfless and giving kindness of Rex's grandfather, his mother, and himself and I am so delighted to know that not only did it remain through the generations of their family, but has become a way of life through generations of another family as well.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-15-2001).]

Old 09-15-2001, 07:30 PM   #25
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

he is frustrated, and I am touched by his righteous anger, though mislead
Old 09-15-2001, 07:31 PM   #26
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Wow that just happened today Moni? Do you think the past events moved him to take action and come to your house like maybe he always wanted to? Either way, it sounds like a very heart warming reunion of sorts, it's a small world eh?

As for churches, I am sorry you haven't seen any true-blues. There are only a handful in my area that I feel comfortable with. I don't go every weekend, but there is one in Gainesville (tiny town, blink and you've gone by it) that has really a nice one. Just a bunch of people smiling and happy, and an Irish accented Minister that preaches love and hope, and not fire and brimstone. Tis a very small church, on about 50 people I'd say. But everyone helps everyone out, and it is just a warm close community, between us and God.

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 07:37 PM   #27
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
We have imagined ourselves invulnerable
That's pretty much the only "right" comment he made.

Old 09-15-2001, 07:37 PM   #28
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Wow that just happened today Moni? Do you think the past events moved him to take action and come to your house like maybe he always wanted to? Either way, it sounds like a very heart warming reunion of sorts, it's a small world eh?

As for churches, I am sorry you haven't seen any true-blues. There are only a handful in my area that I feel comfortable with. I don't go every weekend, but there is one in Gainesville (tiny town, blink and you've gone by it) that has really a nice one. Just a bunch of people smiling and happy, and an Irish accented Minister that preaches love and hope, and not fire and brimstone. Tis a very small church, on about 50 people I'd say. But everyone helps everyone out, and it is just a warm close community, between us and God.

Yes, just this afternoon.
I am not sure if the current events had any bearing in his showing up, but he said he has been living in Austin for many years and is moving back here and wanted to come tell her thank-you, now that he knows who "Santa" was and now that he could.
A sweet man, indeed and a credit to Christainity.

Your church sounds like exactly the kind I wish I could find. There are 11 churches in this small town of only 2255 people, but they range from the rich-owned holier-than-thou to the "we think we should be allowed to drink whiskey at church" types LOL
Maybe someday I'll find that dream come true of a church like you have.

*hugs*

------------------

Old 09-15-2001, 07:42 PM   #29
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Yes, just this afternoon.
I am not sure if the current events had any bearing in his showing up, but he said he has been living in Austin for many years and is moving back here and wanted to come tell her thank-you, now that he knows who "Santa" was and now that he could.
A sweet man, indeed and a credit to Christainity.

Your church sounds like exactly the kind I wish I could find. There are 11 churches in this small town of only 2255 people, but they range from the rich-owned holier-than-thou to the "we think we should be allowed to drink whiskey at church" types LOL
Maybe someday I'll find that dream come true of a church like you have.

*hugs*
It's like with princesses and frogs, Moni! The 'enchanted' churches are few and far between!

And you must feel really proud of Rex's grandma. Though 'proud' isn't quite the right word... she sounds like a wonderful woman.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-15-2001).]
Old 09-15-2001, 08:45 PM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
What Jerry Falwell is saying is very regressive,in fact its the sought of thing that most christian groups would have said about 400-600 years ago.

because of the fact that christanity can be twisted to fit any set of morals or ethics he can justify petty bigotry through it. He's probably just in religion to make money though, a lot of people are.
Any philosophy, religion, or 'way of life' can be twisted if given to the right spin-doctors. Not just Christianity. And avoiding the Christian church because a few fantatics make it all look bad is not my way. So I learn, I try to understand what it is I believe and how the extremists differ. I then attempt to stay clear of the extremists and follow my path, go to church and do what I'm supposed to do. Not easy, not by a longshot. There will always be people we don't like or whose view we clash with in any organization. The trick is to navigate around them. Or see them docked.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."