Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-09-2001, 02:55 PM   #11
Nifft the Nimble

I tried to edit (ShadowKeeper) a Sorcerer to have the Wild Mage kit, and it worked pretty well, until I leveled up a few times. I got the extra spell/day and all the Wild Mage bonus spells (Nahal's Reckless is less useful when you can't use it to cast spells above your possible level).

The bad side is that whenever you get a new 2nd or 7th level spell the game won't allow you to pick anything until you've chosen a Wild Mage-specific spell, and you can't, because you already know them.

If anyone knows how to make kits I'd REEEEEALY love a Wild Sorcerer -- that kit would clear up the whole Wild Mage vs. Sorcerer debate.

-- Nifft
Old 10-09-2001, 03:16 PM   #12
ReGiN

You know I really don't get the wild mage..as far as I see it, the only difference between him and a mage is that he gets those worthless spells (Nahlas Reckless whatever) they are completely useless, why would I wan't to cast a spell from which I can get hurt?!
Well, it is a role-playing game....as we say in Sweden (the taste is like the backside....split)...Sweden Rule!!

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 03:20 PM   #13
StarVid
Elminster

S-Someone at BI mangled 2nd. ed. rules when they brought Sorcerers in.
O-Overall, I think that half-god stuff is a rotten premise
R-Realize that this extra power unbalances the team
C-Can't create a background story, everything has been lain out by BI.
E-Even though this is a good game, I think I prefer PnP
R-Regardless, I'll keep to the BG series until the next D&D adaption comes out.
E-Even though I'll still soapbox my nits
R-Really disappointed with mage spells, I think I'll change to a Ranger/Cleric.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:51 PM   #14
andrewas
Harper

Yes , i do end up casting the same every battle,(Magic Missile, Melfs Acid Arrows and by then me and minsc have minced the opposition). what im gonna try and do is SK imoen to be a multi(not dual) class sorcerer/thief, cos its against the rules (and so interesting) and does not break the plot, yet allows her to become a respectable thief. if you think about it it makes sense, a lot more than her becoming a mage all of a sudden. well maybe not a lot more.

if i ever get this working i'll post it somewhere. if it works well maybe i'll make it as a kit.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:35 PM   #15
StarVid
Elminster

Andrewas, I'd agree except that Imoen is human and can't be a multi. Seriously though, if you change her dual so she does so at 10th level, reallocate all her points to locks and traps, she would be a nice thief, and wouldn't have to deal with the slow level advancement of a multi. Normally, I'm against using the cheat progs, but I think I would in this case. I mean, what was BI thinking when they dualed her at level 7? I'd -never- have done that.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:26 PM   #16
andrewas
Harper

I Quote Rule #1 of my own personal wargame and RPG house rules.

Sod the Rules, have fun. Note: people who persistently annoy me by abusing this will get Dice of Deathed.

In other words, The fact thats shes (SPOILER :- NOT) human means nothing at all in terms of this. (cept ive heard BG wont load if you make a human a multi). It can be explained in terms of irenicuses experimentation + her unique heritage.
The point of a game is to have fun (at least ive always thought it was) so if something violates the rules but allows more fun then its good. And one of the points of NPCs is to allow the designer to create unique characters who dont match the typical profile that a player can create, like nalia with her ring etc, yet maintain balance by refusing the player the oppertunity to combine these powers in a unfair fasion.

Since Sorcerors cant be multiclassed (i think) its more interesting than a mage/thief and leads to a more unique experience. Plus i want her extra levels from BG1 back. So making Imoen a mage/thief was a bad decision on all counts.

additional : does anyone know WHY humans cant multi?

addditional additional : i also prefer PnP but the players around here really suck. example:

Player one : i'll ... bite the rock (no, there were no drugs involved)
DM : the rock bites back (only allan could think like this)
Player two : fireball on player one (I WAS NOT INVOLVED IN THIS)

so you can see the appeal of a CRPG.

back to the point slightly, if there was an NPC sorceror maybe id try him out, but im not making one for a while yet. cause i have to go through BG1 + BG2 witha druid, mage and thief (someone bet i woudnt) and i want to solo with a monk.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:44 PM   #17
StarVid
Elminster

that -is- why PnP games and players sucked around anywhere. Everyone said sod off to the rules and did whatever the hell they wanted. Most people made uberPCs, which totally kills half the fun of D&D. And it shows here for a cRPG with how everyone hacks whatever they want. The only rule I don't follow is "The Almighty Rule #1: you can change whatever rules you want" (which I believe is actually stated in the 2nd ed. PH. It's all crap, without the rules, you have a group of people, all playing their own game. There was only one group that I played some decent D&D with. We stuck to the rules and had a lot of fun. Later on, when I tried running my own group, everybody wanted to be dual wielding elf ranger/mages with 18s in all stats or some shit like that. I didn't play for more than two sessions before giving the whole thing up.

Freedom is cool and all, but it turns a lot of people into jackasses.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:46 PM   #18
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

So then are sorcerers just power
characters or can you have fun
roleplaying? (Oh look, some innocent
peasants and look at all the extra
spells I get per level!!!)
Old 10-11-2001, 01:55 AM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well... you can make a Sorcerer into the most powerful Diviner in the world... if you so desire.

*Gasp!* I can cast Farsight 6 times a day!

Or maybe you can roll a dice and let chance choose your spell selection.

I always get this mental image where the Sorcerer wakes up and suddenly a holographic menu of spells appear before him/her, and he/she gets to choose whatever spell he/she desires whenever I level up.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:16 PM   #20
andrewas
Harper

Rule 0 is of course the the DM is god etc. the point is that, as long as the players are consistent and listen to the dm, the rules are not set in stone. they can be changed. changed because they hamper the plot, changed because a player want to try something different, changed because the Dm is getting bored with everyone playing the same standard clases. although there is still no excuse for a party of trolls...

as long as you have a good dm who can keep control, and the strange people who play the game (not that RPGers are strange. just the ones round here) are all mature and can keep themselves in some kind of order, the rulebook become less important.

and any dm who lets everyone play 18 all stats super chars has only himself to blame where it goes pear shaped. all im saying is that, at time, in moderation, and with the DMs aproval you can bend the rules. like making a human into a multi sorceror/thief because it adds variety and creates a unique character with unique abilities instead of another crappy dual mage/thief.

oh, and when the player realises that the restriction you placed on his super-char (you did restrict the super chars somehow? halve their hit-points, lower their spell slots, raise their thaco. only dont make it sound a big deal at the time) outweigh the benefits he _is_ stuck with them. until he gets dead - only playing out of character for the gain of the player (ie walking off a cliff to get a new char) is a punishable offense. or at least it should be.