Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2000, 03:20 AM   #1
Peaches114
Welcomed New User

I have just reached the castle by jumping on the horse near the gang of scoundrels and running like hell to Shurugeon. Proud of myself--I got there, killed all the scoundrels with barely a scratch.

I see the mantraps off in a distance. I was hoping I could avoid them, but it doesn't look like it. What would be the best strategy now that I'm at the castle. I'm looking for the way in, but it looks like they're going to follow me no matter what. I managed to kill one by hiding behind a wall at the front of the castle because the horse was dismounted right there. The next one is waiting for me.

I've had an awful time with them.....can I avoid them and just squeak by them somehow and get into the castle or am I going to have to stand my ground and get annilihated. I ahve found them to be the worst. TIA
Peaches114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 04:50 AM   #2
Lily the Ranger

You don't want these critters piling up on you so smoke as you find them. Most people use fire from a distance, my preference is the flamedrop spell on occasion as it seems to slow them down. They are slow uphill and sometimes around corners. Just keep a respectable distance. I would not advise allowing them to follow you back to town as some people have found them waiting right outside the gate and died instantly. Luck!
Old 12-24-2000, 08:38 AM   #3
Beaufort

I agree. Lead them AWAY from the castle if you can. On the other hand, if you are desperate (or dumb, like I was) and they do follow you back to town, you'll find them camped just outside the west gate. They'll toast your entire party before you can even get a spell ready to cast. In that case, you can go outside the east gate to heal & spell up, then go back through Ishid N'ha, out the west gate & immidiately try to run past them to safety. Heal, get set with your long-range massive spells, then go hunting for them. Good luck.

Beaufort
Old 12-24-2000, 06:49 PM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

The catle is the bset place to fight them from - they don't follow you there. You can go down either side to rest and heal. You can even go in amongst the spirits and open the front door. Just rest, heal, select fire spell, creep out, toast, run back. Repeat till all 4 critters are charred lumps.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 07:00 PM   #5
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Speaking of the front door... How do you open it up? This is something I never managed to figure out and suspect I once again missed seeing a lever on a wall somewhere. I even climbed up and around both towers too. Dog-gone-it. I'll go back there just to open that door.
Elowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 07:09 PM   #6
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Speaking of plants... You need to learn how to contend/battle these types of monster 'cause there are more of 'em in the game. I was moaning and growning about them so much the other day. If they don't follow you down the side(s) of the castle then use that to your advantage. I used Fire Haze from far enough away that they could not fire back on us and took them out one at a time. When you do not have some physical advantage to stop them you need to back away from them faster then their advance which is very easy to do; then turn and hit them from a distance. I think you can hit them with Bind too to slow them down. But for me the Fire Haze did the damage. There were times when only one would advance at a time around a corner and another would wait until it was dead before advancing. I could effectively kill them with swords only when I had a one-on-one situation. So when you are healed enough and there is only one left and you are sure of this you can charge and take it out with your metal. Good luck.
Elowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 08:55 PM   #7
gauleiter

I mean it, they impress me every time I find a new one (and the Boogre Caves are full of 'em); at Shurugeon, I tried the common practise of using the walls & moat to my advantage, but quickly realised that they can swim if they get the urge.

Best advice? Sun spells -- Flamestrike and Incinerate work quite well for me -- and always keep your distance from them. Also, if possible, try to avoid engaging them at night; you really do need daylight to keep your distance.

One more thing: in the case of the Shurugeon plants, there are *THREE* of them. When I first killed one, I rushed forward to see what he dropped (nothing), and the other two took me out right there =). As far as I know, once they're dead they don't respawn, and I've got it set to Often and I go through that area everytime I head back to Ishad N'ha.
Old 12-24-2000, 08:58 PM   #8
gauleiter

Say Elowin, on Shurugeon's front door: The switch is at the top of the East tower (of the 2 on either side of the bridge). You need that for the Ninja quest.
Old 12-25-2000, 12:19 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Gauleiter,

Interestingly enough, everytime I've played, I've gotten 4 mantraps. However, I play at "hard" and "frequent respawn", so that may add an extra one in there. Or it could be that you took out two at once and didn't realize it. Anyone else have a variable number of mantraps? Once I swore there was five, but in the midst of all the hoopla, I really wasn't counting that intently.

Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2000, 12:54 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Four shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be four. Countest though not five, nor countest thou three, except when thou proceedest immediately to four. Six is completely out of the question.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote