Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2002, 02:33 AM   #31
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:

And yes, I also thought the Ents helped with the Battle of Helm's Deep, but I may be getting it confused with the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

That should be very good.
The way I remember the book is that the ents took out the tower much like in the movie but after many of them moved on to Helms deep to fight in the helms deep battle. Only a few stayed behind with merry and pipin. At Helms deep thay actually turned the the tide of the battle after the riders evened the odds a little more. Plus I thought the elves arrived for the final battle in the third book, the only elf at Helm's deep in the book was Legolos.

Have to love that contigent of elvish archers and the lucky old man who fired the first arrow because he could no longer withstand the strain on his bow. The movie was still awsome it does not have to be identical to the book.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:43 AM   #32
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

A funny thing that most NEw Zealanders will be able to pick up on: alot of the cast in The Two Towers used to star in a New Zealand-made soap opera called 'Shortland Street'. The elf-leader guy, the mother of those two kids at the start, even the arms master of Theoden (who tells Aragorn and co. to disarm themselves) were all regular cast members. Hence their strained American accents (it's hard for us Kiwi's to get the yankee sound right ). I gotta admit it kinda dispelled the suspension of disbelief a little when you see the leader of an elven war party and say 'hey, it's Guy Warner (real life name Craig Parker)! The lovable rogue from Shortland Street!'. Ah well
Old 12-20-2002, 09:18 AM   #33
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by canadianvixen:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I haven't had time to go see it yet so a plague of locusts in all yer drawers for talking about it here heheeh Im not reading anything any of you say!
Hurry up and get well so you can go Magic. This is one movie you need to see in the theatre. Although some of the battle scenes might be even more exciting if you're watching it with all those drugs you've been on. [/QUOTE]Thanks CV [img]smile.gif[/img] Im hoping to go see it Sunday, Colleen and I are going to go up and take my kids to it. (will also be the first time they meet her)....a little psychological warfare here, taking the kids to a movie they desperately want to see and I know will enjoy

Old 12-20-2002, 11:38 AM   #34
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:

And yes, I also thought the Ents helped with the Battle of Helm's Deep, but I may be getting it confused with the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

That should be very good.
The shepherded the Huorns (old Ents who have become almost trees, they are shepherded by the Ents) to the field outside of Helm's Deep to dispose of the rest of the orcs after they retreated. The ents had their monent at Isengard, so it wasn't too much of a disappointment to not see the Huorns.

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
I don't think that changes needed to be made. (examples: Aragorn going over the cliff, Faramir's nobility denied by his taking Frodo to Osgolith, Legolas giving in to dispair in Helm's Deep, Arwen going to the West (or does she?))
OK, here is why I think these scenes were added (pure speculation, but seems to make sense).

Aragorn and the cliff: The reactions of his comrades shows you the depth of their feelings towards him, and how much he has become their leader and friend. It also allows another Arwen remembrance to develop that plot. And finally, it allows Eowyn to show her budding affection for Aragorn when you see her reaction after she hears of his "fall". Don't forget, a movie-viewer doesn't get to hear the thoughts of the characters, not like a reader who can read them.

Faramir, Frodo, and Osgiliath: In the end, Faramir realizes his error and releases Frodo even though the Gondor officer threatens punishment. I think this scene was added so the non-reader will understand why Sauron attacks Minas Tirith right away. The nazgul saw the ring in Osgiliath, so he will report it to Sauron who will assume that it will go to Minas Tirith next. Also, the Stewards's men are witness to Faramir's decision and when they report to the Steward, the despair will develop. Even more, it gives a reason why Faramir is in Osgiliath to get injured during the attack.

Legolas giving in to despair: I don't remember this, but I saw a midnight showing so maybe I missed something.

Arwen going to the West: They show her leaving Rivendell, so it seems far from likely that she will actually go to the West. Plus, the presence of the elves at Helms deep shows that Elrond is beginning to cast of the separation that he is trying to make between elves and men, so maybe he will not try to force Aragorn and Arwen apart.

I'll see the movie again to get a better view. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 01:10 PM   #35
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I can't wait until that gets down to cuba! I want to see some more of Legolas with his dual-weilding action!