Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 03:13 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Mad

Now I have been thinking...

I really have been wanting to buy a new set of speakers (beacuse I play movies and a LOT of mp3s) since last xmas and I ended up buying a video card. Now I am content with the video card since I am not a hardcore gamer anymore (or at least the games I play are old) and I think I should focus on better things. So there.

Now of course, Altec Lansing has come to mind. I like their 2.1 system which was the VS(I forgot the numbers) series, but it was quite expensive because I saw a Logitech X220 2.1 and they were half the price of the Altec!

And then I asked recommendations from my friend. He has a 5.1 Logitech x640. I was like "That is what I am going for now." Bang for the buck right? Ehrm...

My MOBO sucks! I can only support 2.1. So I was pretty resigned to 2.1... besides my room is small and I don't really want to buy a new sound card yadayada.

But then another thing pops into mind. My mobo doesn't really use the full power of my RAM and vid card. Because my video card is AGP 8x and my mobo is only 4x. Plus, my current mobo has only 2 PCI slots. And if ever I want a better sound system, I won't be able to put the sound card anywhere.

Right now, the most logical thing to do is to buy the mobo... but then I won't be upgrading my processor anyway so I really do not know. It seems that the speakers are the best option now. And I just remembered something... I cannot switch mobos with XP screwing up... right? (I hope I am WRONG)

After all of that crap: The QUESTION is should I go for the MOBO or Speakers. And then if you chose Speakers, which one? Is Logitech on par with Altec, etc.

Help is greatly appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-07-2004, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Bahamut ]
Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

Why not get both the motherboard and soundcard together?
I'm not sure what CPU you have, however, there are some boards based on nVidia chipsets that offer 5.1 Dolby sound onboard.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hey Animal! I have a P4 2.4b gHz.

The main reason is I don't not have the resources enough to have it all. I will try to get a motherboard with an onboard sound card that can support 5.1, but what about my Win XP question?

Bottom line is this: I cannot have both. It's either the speakers, or invest on a new motherboard and wait another couple of months (which I can do, as long as I have made the practical decision). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hiya Bahamut, in tho the shopping spree again are we?

Well to question number one:
Altec is a good brand, but the design kinda jumps the price tag an awful lot.
Creative and futher more, Logitech is in pair with qiuality unless you go for the Logitech THX systems that are really outstanding. (Got myself on 2.1 THX Logitech speakers roaring out Sacred, NWN and well.. everything else. I guess that my neighbours have started to hate rocket arena mods for UT 2004 )

To question number 2.
Back up and make a clean installation. ONly way you can be sure to get it working. There are some work arounds and you can reinstall XP over your previous configuration but thoose seldom last long nor without problems. If you are indeed going for a new Mobo, the Dolby 5.1 built in sound is great. Try to find NVidia mobo. Easy as heck to upgrade and you will have to only download one patch top get the latest mobo drivers, sound drivers and if you are using a NVidia graphics card, you will have that in the same file. Easy peasy lemon squeesy

Also if you are going for a new mobo, you can have loads of fancy things for it like USB 2, Firewire and some other neat stuff and check to see that it is compatible with your current hardware as well as some future hardware for upgrading purpos.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 07-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

I'd go for the speakers for now. Fairly shortly you will begin to see the demise of the ATX motherboard in favour of the new BTX form factor, probably by the end of the year. So anything you buy today will be obselete. A P4 2.4B is still a good unit, and probably well ahead of the average household PC, so hang on to it and the mobo and grab a good set of 5.1 speakers.

Yes, 5.1, you'll only be able to hear 2.1 sound, but sooner or later you'll want that 5.1 rig, so don't waste your money on something you really don't want.

Then, by the time you have enough money saved to buy a new motherboard, the new generation will be out.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks guys... you have given me the answers I need.

Wolfie: yup the big price jump so I'll hang on to Logitech. Not really shopping again. These were the ones I put off because of the vid card... LOL Lagged shopping? Oh and yes, i have heard of the Logitech systems, they do blow the competition away! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Animal: Okay, now you lost me with the BTX thing. What is the new generation of mobos? Is that what Wolfgir is talking about with Firewire and all? I don't know anything about mobos...

I'll take your advice Animal. You are right. I was going for the mobo, but then you said there is a new generation going out so I will wait for that. And since I want a 5.1 system, might as well buy one now and well, it will be of use sooner or later. But, even with the new mobos they are going to be relatively cheaper, right? i think I don't want mobos twice the price of the speakers I will buy... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

BTX is the new formfactor for motherboards arriving later this year.

It will put the CPU down low by the front intake fan, and the add in cards on the back of the board. It is primarily designed to improve airflow with faster and hotter CPU's.

With it you'll see the new PCI-X cards replacing standard PCI, and PCI-X for graphics which will replace the AGP. DDR2 will also appear with the new mobo. It should be the biggest thing to hit the home PC since the Pentium.

Basically every internal piece of hardware you own now, will be completely useless with the BTX mobo's even the case and power supply.

So, yes, if your current hardware config is good for you know, but the speakers aren't go for the speakers and save your cash until the new toys start hitting the market.

If you search back a few weeks, Larry started a thread regarding the new Intel chipsets that are beginning to hit the market. Now IS NOT the time to upgrade.

As for the speakers, if you have the cash, the Logitech 680's are awesome! 500watts, THX certified, Dolby and digital DTS encoding built in. These speakers are sure to start a riot at 1AM in the morning.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

I've got The Monsoon setup, which is outstanding but if I was looking today I'd probably go for the 680's, cheaper and more UMPH.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
BTX is the new formfactor for motherboards arriving later this year.

It will put the CPU down low by the front intake fan, and the add in cards on the back of the board. It is primarily designed to improve airflow with faster and hotter CPU's.

With it you'll see the new PCI-X cards replacing standard PCI, and PCI-X for graphics which will replace the AGP. DDR2 will also appear with the new mobo. It should be the biggest thing to hit the home PC since the Pentium.

Basically every internal piece of hardware you own now, will be completely useless with the BTX mobo's even the case and power supply.

So, yes, if your current hardware config is good for you know, but the speakers aren't go for the speakers and save your cash until the new toys start hitting the market.

If you search back a few weeks, Larry started a thread regarding the new Intel chipsets that are beginning to hit the market. Now IS NOT the time to upgrade.

As for the speakers, if you have the cash, the Logitech 680's are awesome! 500watts, THX certified, Dolby and digital DTS encoding built in. These speakers are sure to start a riot at 1AM in the morning.
Now that got me cussing like hell...

So basically it's like saying that if those new mobos come out, might as well buy yourself a new PC. But then no because the new chips haven't been tested yet..? Will the new mobo have an AGP slot? That is because I can live with the RAMS (because I am sure they will support older RAMS), but I am concerned with the AGP slot. Video card buying is no joke.

So with the new set of mobos that will hit the market, I guess I will wait for them. The speakers looks like it will have to wait... I'd rather faster system than have a 5.1 system that isn't exactly 5.1 until I get the new mobos...

Thanks for your input guys... any other suggestions and new updates on the realm of PC? So sad that the main question of this thread is now shot with... um new innovations. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2004, 10:13 PM   #10
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hey now I have come up with a question.

If the new mobos can still support the RAM I have and vid card, and some other PCIs, then I will wait for the mobo, if not, well, I am not so sure... I think I will have to settle with the mobos out there now... what do you think?