Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #11
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I'm not good. =/ Black Baron is a lot better than me, though I've never yet had a match with him.

Black Baron, would a Rook and a Pawn be roughly equal to two minor pieces? And would a Queen be worth a Pawn, Rook, and a minor piece?

I hope this isn't thread necromancy, but it's only been 3 days... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 PM   #12
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I am not a bad chess player (good according to some) but I could never follow the numbers, need to have the image in front of me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2004, 02:20 AM   #13
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

A rook and a pawn while equal in material, are inferiour (usually) to 2 minor pieces (B&B or N&N or B&N). However, sometimes, the exchange is good, due to tactical reasons. If you will analyze the position that is created after 19 move of the black in my first post, you will see that one of the major threats of the black is to have this exchange. While this exchange wins no material, it opens the white king for a checkmate.

The queen is indeed worth pawn, rook and a bishop in open positions, and, pawn rook and a knight in closed positons. Again, one must look at the board for tactical reasons. F.e: if the pieces that you get for the queen are not "connected" between each other (unable to defend each other), than the queen might win back some material.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Old 06-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Baron:
making the opponent's king unable to castle is always a good idea, provided that tactically it is correct.
There are exceptions here. Keep in mind that the king that loses castling privileges is well placed in the center for the endgame, so if one can trade off a few more pieces then one could stand well. Two opening examples that spring readily to mind are the main line of the Berlin Defense to the Ruy Lopez, and the Old Indian Defense after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 d6 3.Nc3 e5.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:33 AM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

Whoa, we've got some chess gurus going wild here. For those of you who're like me and haven't made an in-depth study of all the openings and defenses, remember a few general tactical ideas:

1) In openings, try to control the centre and develop your pieces. Developing is moving a back-rank piece (usually bishop or knight) into a more forward position. This can be done for offensive or defensive purposes.

2) When exchanging pieces, relative value is not always the most vital consideration. More important is the strategic advantage you can gain or take away. Destruction of pawn chains and blockages (to allow attacks on the enemy king) and the removal of threatening pieces (say, an advanced knight that can cover a queen's checkmate move) are situations where piece value can be irrelevant. Just make sure that the better tactical situation is worth the exchange.

3) Protect your King!!
Old 06-20-2004, 02:43 AM   #16
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Gah, i knew that i forgot to mention something about the king. Good post Desuma Malevois.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:08 PM   #17
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Baron:
Gah, i knew that i forgot to mention something about the king. Good post Desuma Malevois.
Thanks. Do you play in tournaments, or mainly off-hand games on line? (I mostly play correspondence chess nowadays)
Old 06-21-2004, 02:15 AM   #18
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

I play in Yahoo under the name of knatanl2000. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2004, 09:55 AM   #19
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I'm willing to play any day now that school's over, though I'm not in the same league as any you people. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 06-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #20
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

It is ok, i will play unrated. [img]tongue.gif[/img]