Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2003, 11:57 PM   #1
MoldyOldie
The Magister

Mud! The rain had been drizziling down for three days, the roads were mud, the streets were mud, and the floors were slick with mud, it encrusted every boot and rimmed every trouser cuff and cloak and cape bottom. The inn was crowded, much more than usual, with everyone but the fishes and ducks waiting for better weather to venture outside. You were lucky to found this empty seat to call your own and to ride out the storm.

At least the rain cleaned the soot and smoke from the town air, and the roaring fire pit kept the chill away, and the food here was edible, even though it seemed to also smell slightly of mud.

A few glowing sparkles floated through the air, drawing your eye once again to the fat, pompus mage that had been here since last night, showing off for the pretty waitress again. The glowing sparkles took the shape of a ship tossed on the seas, then a giant serpent, as the mage told another boastful but unlikely tale. You start to look away once again.

Suddenly everything goes black, a black darker than night, even though it is barely midday. You hastily consider what danger this sudden blackness may hold, even as you hear the cries of suprise, the clanging of dishes, the drawing of weapons and the chanting of charms, reassuring you that you are not the only one blinded. Not wanting to move into greater danger, you stand guarded, and in a few heartbeats time, the room returns to normal, the blackness is lifted, and you look around at the suprise and chaos, trying to sort out what happened.

The mage lays face down, a hilt protruding from his back, blood staining his gaudy garb.

You also noticed, the rain has stopped.
MoldyOldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Aldyne

As darkness suddenly filled the room, Aldyne quickly leaps to his feet, drawing his longsword in the prosess. It always felt comforting to hold the hilt of a weapon.
The darkness lifted, and it only took the Paladin a few seconds to gather what had just happened. He runs over to the lump that was once a mage, and examines him. He wasn't exactly a physician, but he could easily tell if a man was dead or not.
"Somebody examine that body further," he suddenly says, rising to his feet. He runs over to a window, opens it, and looks around outside, hoping to see if the murderer has left the inn or not.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:56 AM   #3
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Ikaruga paced around... something was troubling her... She starred off into space over the edge where the floor tisles cut off and an endless plummeting void was all that lay below, above, and infront, filled with swirling clouds, odd votexes and storms... Lightening exploded about so frequently it went unnoticed, as did the thunder which clammered to and fro. Ikaruga felt as though she needed to go somewhere... not to serve the gods of her temple though, something, some... place... other than here, here which was everything she knew... Sure there were others here, and gods would frequent the realm, but other than that, her life at the monastary was plain, unordinary, and there had to be something more to life out there, it was calling to her. She looked out into the endless torrent, turned, and rushed inside, her eyes flashing vibrantly as she approached the headmistressis cell. She knocked on the door a few times, which echoed about and was heard despite the clapping thunder, the door slid open quietly and she was lead in. Ikaruga sat down before an old lady wearing a hood, her eyes still gleamed about, with the image of a lightening storm inside of them. She looked up, and smiled at the sight of Ikaruga. "I can already sense it on you child..." She chuckled a few times. "You want to leave this place... you yearn to get out, and experience the world... there are many things outside of the tempest plane, as many as there are few things within the vacuum plane. What you want is more than just another elemental reality, though, you desire a world composed of many elements, including elements of good and evil. Be warned child, if you seek these dreams long enough you may just find them, and sometimes the worlds of others do not accept higher beings such as ourselves, I went to a planet once, and was persecuted to damnation in a prison, where I was tortured, beaten... under my clothing i still wear the scars, I did things which I will eternally regret, and no repentance shall ever let me forget the goings on... But It is our natual curse... to be born with a certain... interest, in things other-worldly. After all, a single element can be... rather boring at times... Sister Ikaruga... If you truley do want to leave us, and see the world... you have mine, and the entire congregatoins permittance... but be warned, you may not find the path to devine humility in other worlds, and if the going gets tough, you will be able to find your way back, to this world, in time. All it ever takes is time... Now, go... Take the clerical gifts which you have received and use them wisely..." She sat back, Ikaruga only stared, she nodded. The mother was wise... Very wise... She stood, and chose not to speak in her presence... Instead Ikaruga headed out the cell door and through the dimly lit hallways of the monastary, as lightening flashed all about frequently. She stood at the foot of a large winding staircase, and ascended slowly, at the top she walked into a room with many clerics, like herself, meditating in a circle.

"What is it she wants?" one of the meditation directors asked, not asking Ikaruga herself, but asking the other clerics deep in meditation... He spoke in a monotone manner... as if he himself was meditating...

Speaking as one, they responded,"She seeks a route to another world..."

"Has she been permitted?" The director asked the group in a monotone voice once again...

"Yes..." the group resounded.

"Then what kind of world does she seek?" He seemed to sing...

"A world, a world with anything..." The crowd chanted...

"Then a world with everything is what we shall give her..."

"Yes... This world... She must step forward and receive it..."

Ikaruga cerimoniously took a few steps into the cowd of people knealt on the floor, their eyes concealed behind their garments.

"Humnitidaro Kwayo Tekunklay Tendak..." The director chanted...

"This is what my grandfather told me..." The crowd chanted in translation...

"Planaralatus, Vocatar, malphos spiritus, endognam..."

"The ones of plane... we send... transform the souls, in the name of the gods..."

"Eginb!"

"Him-Na'ro Toka-da'shin... Him-Na'ro Toka-da'shin..." The group of meditators murmered over and over again... Ikaruga could feel a tingling sensation overtake her, passing through the floors, the ceiling the walls, like thousands of pricks of lightening gliding across her skin, she lifted off the ground, and the world around her seemed blank, hollow, like something she could pass straight through, a sensation she'd read about, written by man elder genasi, but that she, herself, had never experienced... all at one the world around her shifted, and twisted about, the storms retracted back, the cloud disaperated, the winds calmed, the thunderous noises drifted away, replaced by the sounds of etherial travel... The chanting was very distant now... She could barley make out the words still... then all at once the world grew quiet... begging her for a response... A bright door opened up before her...

"Devine Light guide my way to the world..." the door shot forth and surrounded her, the darkness of the etherial world drifted away and suddenly Ikaruga felt cool air whisk across her face... an image... a very strange image... one like nothing she'd ever seen before... slowly blurred into focus...

(OOC: If you don't want me posting this just ask and I'll delete it)
/)eathKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #4
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

Maelakin sat transfixed in thought, feebly picking at the food on his plate, attempting to decide where he would go next. It had been days now since he had been able to find work, and his stores of money were growing slim. Soon enough, he would be reduced to sleeping in barns and stables just to make sure he would have enough money for food.

Sighing to himself, he fixed his sight back on the real world and lazily gazed upon the mage performing tricks for the common audience, “I wonder if I could manage tricks like that to make a few extra coins.”

Suddenly the room goes black, cutting off all sources of light. Maelakin’s mind races and he begins to form the incantations for producing light. Before he has time to finish the incantations, the light recedes and a truly grim spectacle stands before him.

OOC: I would like to attempt a Spellcraft check to see if the darkness was magical in nature and if it is to discern the type of spell used to create the darkness.
Maelakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
MoldyOldie
The Magister

OOC: @ Maelakin, the darkness was magical, as complete as it was you surmise that several darkness spells were used, and the inn is not very bright to begin with. You know such spells can be cast upon items and covered and uncovered to bring the effects into play.

OOC: @ Aldyne, the mage is dead, there is normal noonday traffic on the street, you see no one who is running or looks suspicious.

The serving wench is screaming, everyone is looking around suspiciously at everyone else, a LOT of weapons are drawn.

"Boy, go get the guards, an no one else be leavin now!" says the rotund barkeep to one of the tavern boys, as he comes out from behind his bar, holding a wooden club. "An no one be touchin the body till the guards get here!" He walks over to the screaming barmaid and soothes and quiets her. "An everyone better be puttin their steel back in the sheath, and sittin down!".

The patrons do as the barkeep says. Everyone is eyeing the dead body, and several minutes pass when the town guard arrives, four young men in chain and an older man in grey robes. The older man orders a guard to stay at the entrance, and another to stand at the door out through the kitchen. Then he examins the body, removing the blade and examining it closely, and searching the body, placing its belongings on the table in front of the corpse and examining each item before placing them in a sack. He then orders the other two guards to carry the body out.
He then takes the closest table to the door, and speaks, "I am captain Merlo, do any of you know the identity of the victim?" No one answers. "All will be questioned, no one is to leave prior to questioning." He starts with the barkeep and serving wench, then goes person by person, calling them to his table, writing down the name of each person, asking several questions, and he also does a quick examinination of each persons belongings.

As one person, a small, wirey man in simple clothing, who staggers slightly like he is drunk walks to the captains table, he passes by Maelakin, bumping him slightly. An empty dagger sheath drop to the floor. The wirey man jumps back. "Wha? Dis man just dropped somthin here!" he says, pointing at Maelakin.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:40 AM   #6
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Merago gets back up on his feet. Someone had tipped his chair over in the darkness, and he'd been knocked out for a little while. He notices the dead mage and the guards, and asks around a bit to get to know what has happened. He decides to finish his meal while waiting for getting called to Merlo's table.

"Wha? Dis man just dropped somthin here!" he makes out and turns in the direction of the sound. He sees the dagger sheet and figures that, whatever's going on, someone's bound to kill each other within the next minutes. He makes himself readies himself for hiding under the table if anything happens. Why play brave when I don't even know what's going on?

(OOC: Moldy, char sheet be ("very slightly" to "a bit", depending on when you last checked it [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) updated. Will leave it as it is now, unless something's missing)

[ 11-18-2003, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Gnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #7
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

Nonchalantly, Maelakin gazes down at the dagger sheath dropped on the floor, “I say you dropped it when you bumped into me Sir, but I have faith that Captain Merlo can sort out this confusion to satisfactory conclusion.”

OOC: I’m unsure what I know about the place I’m currently visiting. If it is known to me that the local officials are corrupt, I would like to take a different course of action. On the same note, if I know the people in this area react poorly to those capable of magical feats, I would also like to take a different course of action. If I don’t know or neither of the above apply, my course of action below will stand.

Standing above the dagger, guarding it in case anyone but the Captain attempts to disrupt its position, Maelakin turns to the Captain, “If you would be so kind as to collect this evidence I would be much obliged. I would bring the sheath to you, but knowing something of the magical arts, I know that contaminating evidence can often ruin the divinations performed by mages.”

Oh boy, time to start talking fast and acting faster. This is what you get for spending too long in one place. Just keep your cool; you didn't have anything to do with this.

Maelakin waits for the Captain to cross over and collect the sheath. He will not let any other, including one of the guards, collect the sheath. If the Captain insists on a guard collecting the item for him, Maelakin resorts to the tactic below to deliver the item.

”On the topic of Magic, you may find it interesting to know that the darkness caused in the room was created by multiple people. Additionally, they more than likely were carrying objects that produce darkness when uncovered,” Maelakin says to Captain Merlo.

OOC: This next passage occurs only if the Captain will not come collect the sheath himself.

Maelakin makes a small gesture with his hand and mutters quietly under his breath. Extending his hand out, he points to the sheath on the floor and as he does, the sheath begins to rise into the air. Slowly he moves his hand to point towards the table in front of Captain Merlo, and as he does, the sheath follows his motion. Floating through the air as if carried by some unseen force, the sheath comes to finally rest on the table next to the bag containing the evidence from the victim.

OOC: Cast Mage Hand.

“I trust you don’t mind my apprehension at having another touching evidence that may be damning to an innocent,” he says to Captain Merlo.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:31 AM   #8
MoldyOldie
The Magister

As Maelakin starts his spell, the room is once again plunged into darkness. Again you hear steel drawn, and chanting.

@ Maelakin, Something sharp hits you in the back, you feel an immediate burning sensation.

@ Aldyne, Someone brushes by you, heading you guess for the open window who's glow is visible through the darkness.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:52 AM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Aldyne

As darkness again fills the room, Aldyne runs back to the window, to make sure noone leaves. At some point, somebody brushes by him, and the Aldyne doesn't know if he beat this guy to the window or not. When he reaches it, however, he lowers his sword and holds his shield with his right arm in front of him, to make sure noone leaves through his window, and to avoid any fatal accidents in the dark.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 PM   #10
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

OOC: What happened before I began to cast? Did Captain Merlo respond, and did any of his guards attempt to retrieve the dagger sheath?

Maelakin knew, as soon as the pain exploded in his back, that he was in trouble. Slumping forward, he attempts to roll away to his left hoping to avoid further injury.

Seems I have attracted some unwanted attention. Learn to shut your mouth you damn fool.