Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2001, 04:23 PM   #1
Tom
Elminster

How does someone solo a fighter? No healing spells, triggered a trap again.

How do you solo a cleric? I triggered another trap. AHHH SHADOWS!!!

I think you cant solo without dying alot. I know its possible. Who done it.

Whithout the three main classes, you need to save after every kill!

I am sure everyone is going to disagree. I might try soloing. When I find the right class.

Old 05-01-2001, 04:27 PM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

A fighter is very difficult to solo. You are right, you can't detect traps and you can't pick locks. Clerics can at least detect traps, but they can't pick locks. Mages can pick locks, but they can't detect traps (at least I don't think they can). Thiefs can pick locks or detect traps, making them a pretty good choice. I am sure people have done it, but I would think it pretty hard to solo with a character who is not multi/dual classed.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 05-01-2001, 04:50 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I've never multi/dual classed and all the games I've completed have been soloing except the very first one. I dunno if u noticed but most of the locks that really need to be picked are openable with keys or something. If u are a fighter just cast "Call Upon Holy Might" and you'll be able to unlock (force) almost anything. When I solod with my half-orc barbarian (19 STR) it was easy to open locks with CUHM, cos it gave me a STR in mid-twenties. Fighters can eat trap damage cos of high HP. When u are soloing u get all the healing potions to yourself. Mages can easily eat trap damage with mirror image or with stoneskin. Clerics are a good class to solo as they are reasonable fighters (can wear all armour) and cast spells. If u want interesting soloing try one of my custom kits ( http://lhanzo.tripod.com )
Old 05-01-2001, 04:53 PM   #4
koz-ivan
Manshoon

traps are not the be all end all of a solo char ,they are not that big a deal if you know they are there already, i.e. replaying the game.

a solo run can be done by any class, fighters have healing potions and gobs of hit points, who's gonna screw w/ a high level fighter w/ crom fayer & foa dual wield, wearing cloak of reflection, ring of regeneration & gaxx, inertial barrier belt, boots of speed ect... ect...

[This message has been edited by koz-ivan (edited 05-01-2001).]
Old 05-01-2001, 05:53 PM   #5
Glycerine
Manshoon

If you want some usefull tips on playing solo, you should read Elmonster's Journal.

http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/journal.html

This guy went through the entire game with a solo mage, without cheating, and without the exp cap remover. Check it out, it's a really good read.

Glycerine
Old 05-01-2001, 09:44 PM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you are a mage or bard you can detect traps with your rabbit. I don't remember if you have to be neutral good or neutral neutral. I am playing a Jester now (well, at least have a savegame), and my tactic when I die from a trap is to reload the game. It doesn't take that long.

------------------

Hmmmmmm...Yes, that must be it
Old 05-01-2001, 11:18 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

a fighter is, in fact, the easiest to solo

trap, trigger it!!

it doesn't hurt that much. a solo fighter can have a lot of extra healing potions. I had like 20 of them after the first dungeon. (that is 20 X 27 = 540 HP) you have to choose the right weapons for different situation. against enemies that definately hit you, like mages, demons, you should dual wield to power up your attack. against enemies do AC check, you should use sword shield style.

get ring of regeneration and cloack of sewer, those regains HP for you.

once you have enough money, but helm of vahlor. this shit is the best. put a wand of ressuruction in your inventory, you can always have full health in all battle.

a fighter is the easiest to solo.
Old 05-01-2001, 11:24 PM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

why do you wann solo? i mean... whats the point? not even at least two?

------------------

I am Bahamut... and this Chiharu.
Old 05-02-2001, 12:12 AM   #9
Atomizer
Dungeon Master

I guess some people like the challenge, or the feeling of satisfaction after completing the game ALL BY THEMSELVES.

Some people just let one NPC in their party at the time to do their quests, then they kick him or her out and pick up the next one.

Some people don't even do that, though. They're missing out on the excellent character interaction that characterizes this game as one of the best.
Old 05-02-2001, 12:21 AM   #10
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Atomizer:
I guess some people like the challenge, or the feeling of satisfaction after completing the game ALL BY THEMSELVES.

Some people just let one NPC in their party at the time to do their quests, then they kick him or her out and pick up the next one.

Some people don't even do that, though. They're missing out on the excellent character interaction that characterizes this game as one of the best.

I agree with the idea of NPC interactions. I loved them the first time through.
But, I must admit there is a certain satisfaction seeing "100%" in the experience fields in the Character Info page.
Right now, I'm going for a speed game, soloing an Archer with the exp cap, and no added items. It's a different kind of challenge.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes