Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 06-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I know there are a few metal junkies around here, I am a partial one myself.

I was wondering what you all thought of the new slipknow album, I ask this because it is such a big change from there old stuff, it is a lot lighter, and they even have solos now (wo ) and even an acoustic song!!! (that is a big thing for them)

Personally I prefer the new stuff, I mean there first album was good,with classics such as "wait and bleed", but I thought Iowa was just crap.

The new one offers a lot more vareity however and to me, is much more appealing.

So what dya think?
Old 06-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

I like the old stuff better. I have heard Iowa and thought there were some cool numbers but a lot less than on slipknot (cd). I listened to two of their new songs and didn't like them anymore. But I don't really like slipknot anyway but for sure Slipknot was the best album they did. You know the first metal song I listened was wait&bleed and I listened to slipknot for some time. If I listen some I only listen the old songs.

edit: their drummer is really cool, he has a great double bass [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-08-2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: philip ]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Amaze me SxE
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i really can't say i like this band at all but if you want a really good metal band listen to Bleeding Through awesome band.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
TyranyuZ

Dont like em, NickelBack & Metallica are the metal bands I listen to
Old 06-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Slipknot? No thanks. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I have their newest album, as well as their first (which name I do not recall at the moment - been a long time since I heard it. Put it away after listening to it a couple of times.) In my opinion, that's not good heavy metal. And I hate their image, with the masks and all. But Joey Jordison, their drummer, is really spectacular. Don't think I've ever heard a drummer better than him, especially at the double bass, and I've heard alot.
I was at a Metallica concert some three weeks ago, and Slipknot was the warm-up band. Hated the music, and they weren't very good entertainers either. But they did get the crowd going, I'll give 'em that.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
In my opinion, that's not good heavy metal. And I hate their image, with the masks and all. But Joey Jordison, their drummer, is really spectacular. Don't think I've ever heard a drummer better than him, especially at the double bass, and I've heard alot.
I think the image was to be liked only because of the music IIRC. And their music isn't exactly heavy metal [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'd put it more like death-ish

BTW I think for good double bass (and other cool stuff) you'd better look in other genres than heavy metal. I think I listened to some bands I hated for some time just for the drums, I still actually listen to it sometimes. Nick Barker from ex-cradle of filth and ex(I think)-dimmu borgir is an example, he rocks, shame the rest of the music and lyrics aren't my stuff. The Children of Bodom drummer can do some really cool stuff, I found a site with a drum solo from a concert and it was awesome. Also After Forever and Epica have great double bass, but a lot of other death-/black-/doom-ish bands have. But unfortunately you often need a special taste to listen to it.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Joey is a dude, he filled in for Metallicas drummer (his name has lost me) when he fell ill at download 2 weeks ago, that is a pretty amazing feet!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Joey is a dude, he filled in for Metallicas drummer (his name has lost me) when he fell ill at download 2 weeks ago, that is a pretty amazing feet!
Yeah, he played most of the songs flawless too. Hence why I spoke so good of him previously. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

@Philip, I don't know about 'death'. Their lyrics maybe qualifies for the genre, but the music in itself doesn't, if you ask me. More like very absurd heavy, with even more power. Is there such a thing as 'power half-black metal'? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Oh, and most of my favourite drummers are from the metal-genres. That's where they belong, if you ask me, and where they really can make a difference in the music, and not just form a steady bass/rythm-element.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
@Philip, I don't know about 'death'. Their lyrics maybe qualifies for the genre, but the music in itself doesn't, if you ask me. More like very absurd heavy, with even more power. Is there such a thing as 'power half-black metal'? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well lyrically it's not black in any case. Musically I don't think it's anywhere near black cause black metal has some things that you hear coming back often, if not in all songs at least all bands seem to have at least have those influences in some songs, and slipknot doesn't sound like that. It's neither power metal cause that's bands like rhapsody, sonata arctica.

I think the old slipknot is really aggressive and that made it cool. I think some people said it was death-trash metal then. What I've heard of their new songs was either a bit less aggressive or it might be that the mix wasn't as 'raw' as their first album.

BTW it's always fun to see how I (and a lot of others) don't like to put music in boxes but that it just happens to describe stuff with other people who are into the same genre. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

not death metal... although some of the screaming sounds similar. Slipnot is a IMO a unique mash of lyrical metal with... well... with maybe some thrash here and there, and hmmm... well... some screaming death style metal thrown in. Some of it works imo (Wait and Bleed I liked a lot), a fair amount falls flat. Overall I like the power metal intro's to some of their older stuff... A+ quality power metal. I can take em in limited doses.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote