Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2001, 04:10 PM   #1
Indiglo

Should I kill Scabban or no??
Old 01-03-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
Dwarf

Yes kill him, kill him now! Cleans the world of his foul evil mucous dripping carcass!Didst thou not hear his plans (upon finding a cure for his most lamentable and despicable condition)to create an army of the dead and conquer the world?Such villainy must be stamped out (and you get a nice big bundle of experience points each for doing it).

On the serious side he is (in my opinion) the only NPC worth killing before saying goodbye because each time I did he walked around me, dropped into the room below, swam to the grating and vanished.I eagerly followed him but he had eluded me so kill him without ending the conversation because he normally drops a few scrolls or something as well.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:54 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

On the devil's advocate side...

Don't kill Scabban until every one of your characters has joined the Wizard's guild. Reason: If, for example, you promote your Priest to be a Warlock, s/he can then join the Wizard's guild. However, the only skill s/he may train in at level 1 is Intellect (Sun and Stone being closed off to a prior non-Wizard character). Locating Scabban is the only quest that you may repeat at the Valeia Wizard's Guild. If you kill him, your new Warlock (or Bard, or Samurai, or what-have-you) will not be able to train to Level 2 until you finish the Ardibren's Relic quest at the Ishad N'ha Guild, which is MUCH later in the game. Why is this important? Because for the Warlock and Bard, it helps to train Mooncraft and Fiendcraft up, especially when you're first starting to learn them, and you _can't_ do that unless you're at least level 2 in the Wizard's guild. Samurai, learning Sun magic, have no problem training at Level 1, so don't worry about them as much.

The other reason to spare Scabban a while is that he has interesting things to say about keywords that you discover later on in the game (e.g.: Kerah, Anephas, Cet, Mavin, etc.) For example, you find out that Cet is who is giving him the power to control the dead. Not necessary information, but it does add to the storyline; if you're into that sort of thing.

Of course, if you're just out to bash everything mindlessly that comes along as well, then have at him. Personally, if you're wanting to get your party's experience up, keep bashing Rumphy. He respawns everytime you reload the Crypt, and he's worth a lot of XP (around 6700+ points for 1 character). I use Rumphy to train all my newly ascended characters to get them through the beginning levels quickly so I don't have to wander the wilderness night and day to get them the points they need. It's even better when you get up high enough in Moon magic, to place a Portal at the switch to open the Crypt (on the Crypt side, of course), then go beat on Rumphy, then Teleport back to the switch, flip it twice to reload the Crypt, and repeat.

Note to Balgin the Dwarf: To keep Scabban from taking the "plunge", don't say "Goodbye." Most NPC's will remain put if you abruptly end the conversation rather than saying "Goodbye." I don't think it works on Mekdawa or the Head Oracle, but other than that, the others should stay put.

Cheers,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 09:01 PM   #4
Anna

Where in the crypt can I find Rumphy?

~Anna
Old 01-03-2001, 11:16 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Rumphy is in the far southeastern area of the main Crypt. You have to pull a switch on the wall of the masoleum (the one where you get the message about smelling fresh earth) to open the door to him.

Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote