Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 12:15 PM   #1
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

What is the best caracter to begin with? I dont have the game yet so i wonder what is the best caracter to start with? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-20-2002, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

go custom, and pick what you like. its more fun, if your playing the person you want to be.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
DraconisRex

MINE!

No, in a more serious vein, I'd first play a "tank" Fighter type. Then maybe a tougher Thief type. Then one of the tougher Mage types.

Then try one of the "weaker" ones in each type.

Play each for an hour or so... You'll have a great idea.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
stillwater
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think you should definitely just play one that fits your personality. The MW guys did a great job of balancing this game, I think, and you won't find any extreme advantage in any type of character. It all depends on how you like to play...
Old 05-20-2002, 06:31 PM   #5
The Kiwi
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
What is the best c{H}aracter to begin with? I don't have the game yet so i{I} wonder what is the best c{H}aracter to start with? [img]smile.gif[/img]
A Very Good Answer is:

Quote:
Originally posted by stillwater:
I think you should definitely just play one that fits your personality. The MW guys did a great job of balancing this game, I think, and you won't find any extreme advantage in any type of character. It all depends on how you like to play...
Like many such questions, if taken at face value, there is no correct answer because it's merely straight personal opinions. Look over the available classes and races, and whatever you like, play it. Perhaps just pick a name, race and sex, then answer questions from the point of view you enjoy taking when playing CRPG's, to see what the game says you should be.

K.

The Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 07:13 PM   #6
Charmy
Dungeon Master

Advancement in the game is really quick, so the best answer in my opinion is just choose a race/sex that you think looks good cosmetically, and then forget about it. The class you choose really doesnt' mean anything in the long run, as its fairly simple to become a master fighter/thief/mage by the end of the game, and you can join as many factions as you like. The only thing your class does is determine what you're good at at the start, and the increase in how fast skills that you major/minor in isn't really that significant. I suggest that, to maximize level ups, choose a bunch of skills for major/minor, hopefully skills which raise slowly like Alchemy, Enchantment, and Armorer, and then choose a specialization like Stealth so that these skills raise even slower, not belonging to that specialization. This is a good thing. Why? Because if you put combat skills and armor skills in Misc. when they raise they won't add to your level up total, only major/minor skills do. Why is this good? Because when you finally DO level up, raising those hard to raise skills, you will get massive stat bonuses due to all the misc. skill gains! +15 stat points is far better than a mere +7 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just remember this simple addage. In Morrowind, a class is just a frame of mind, nothing more. Be good at everything, in this game its a piece of cake to do, and allows you to solve problems anyway you want. Slash them to ribbons, blow them up, or stab them in the back, up to you.
Charmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 07:47 PM   #7
gaunty
The Magister

go through the name, sex, and face, then go to custom. have your favorate thingies as strength and agility, pick lady groop as the star sign. spoiler

remember this is not your average D&D game.

you can be a full plate war lord and have magic too.
you do not have to have light armor to be a thief.
gaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #8
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

On the long run, choose major and minor skills you want to reflect your character.
As in every RPG, on the few first levels it's much easier to fight with a fighter archetype than a thief or mage. Heavy armor and big weapons are almost accessible from the start.
But it must be boring to hack 'n slash through the whole game. There is much more diversity in magic skills (schools of spells) and challenge in thievery.
The only skill i don't find useful is Mercantile. There is plenty of money and loot for you to pick while exploring.

So it's all up to you. ;p
Old 05-21-2002, 05:19 AM   #9
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

i got the way to accomodate you all.
pick nord
good tank

then pick all the mage based questions
get mage proficiencies

then for sign pick
tower

so what have we made folks

tank/mage/thief

cespenar says: "enjoy"
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 05:41 AM   #10
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

DON'T MAKE A TO STRONG CHARACTER - it unbalance the game dramaticaly

i will restart game soon - my mistakes:

after some tries
i divided the skills in two groups
a group called hard to train
e.g.: block, the spell based one
and a group called easy to train
e.g. athlethics, stealth, ...

all skills from the easy ones are put in misc
the rest in minor and major
than i trained misc skill hardware - near (meaning blocking the proper key and went to cinema (stealth)