Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
sheridan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

can someone tell me what the difference is if i kill the people, or kill the ice salamanders? i've tinkered with both, and i get some experience, but i haven't gone all the way through with either campaign yet.

thanks,

sheridan
Old 04-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Im not sure killing the people is such a good idea, I can see it ending up in a massive loss of reputation, fallen rangers/paladins, generally very bad things. Plus youll probably end up having to kill the salamanders anyway, dont you have to rescue a theif of some kind from the aquarium? Im sure thats vital to the quest, not just optional. In short, kill the bad guys, help the good guys.

-Sooth
Old 04-27-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Midget Gems

As you can imagine my Gnomes took the soft option and killed the slaves. We didn't feel good about it, but nor did we want to face the Salamanders. Didn't notice anything bad from this action, but I am sure that helping the slaves gives much more XP.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Nah, don't kill the people. Kill the salamanders. Your XP counter will thank you.

Afaik, the key thing you need from the Aquarium area is the Engineering Manual. I'm not sure that you can get it by killing the slaves, because I've never killed them off (salamanders give much better XP).
Old 04-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

My evil cousin Malekith informs me that you can rip the manual from the cold, dead hands of one of the slaves. According to him they're just slaves and thus make for decent target practice.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:54 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Humans are too easy. Salamanders are bigger, nastier, and make more impressive taxidermy specimens.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:08 AM   #7
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

possible spoilers!
true! the main thing is the engg manual. and it can be obtained only after seeing the broken bridge. that is all the t is vital.

as far as xp is concerned, i think the propor way is agree to get the slaves out and you get a key. go down and talk to the leader who is with the slaves. then explore the above level with the salamanders and you come a salamander who wants you to inspect a small part of the level. oblige him and you come across a thief who actually is the slave leader. don't inform the salamanders about her being there. go down and tell the leader below that this thief is alive and then free the slaves. before that you should take the book from the guy. then prepare yourself for the fight above as the salamanders will know that you had let them go. after the fight inform the thief that you let the slaves escape.

this way you:
1... get all the xp possible, quest wise and slaughter wise,
2... get the spear of kerish (IIRC its a +3)
3... you know that you did the right thing by saving your species.

moreover i think you can get attacked in case you leave via the doors that you opened for the slaves. hence even more experience.
end spoiler!

[ 05-04-2005, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Serak Moonblade ]
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote