Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Charisma and leader of the party

I read somewhere in a FAQ that having a character in one's party with a high charisma, it opens up a whole new array of quests, experience, added conversation responses, opportunities, etc. I also read that, again, with high charisma, the player can get better opportunities with buying and selling goods. I always thought that to get these prospects, the character in question MUST be first in the party listing on the right side of the gaming screen. I made a small mistake when I made my mage the diplomat for the party, and he has been on the frontline. Can I still get the high charisma benefits if my mage/diplomat if he is not head of the party, maybe I could put him near the back (for added protection)? He has 4 hp right now, and I really hope I didn’t bring disadvantage to the party.
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Charisma and leader of the party

No idea, just play it safe and make the first guy a warrior and Diplomat. Depends how far along in the game (IWD2?) you are, 4hp sounds like it is not too far. Seems like it is worth starting all over again.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Gavindale
The Magister

Well, I just finished the Vale of Shadow's quest. It's not terribly far into the game, but I don't really want to start over. It wouldn't be a huge hassle, but still.... And it would be hard for me to make a warrior into my diplomat seeing as how all my warriors have 17 or 18 in Strength, Dexerity, and Constitution. My mage (my diplomat) has 18 in Intellect, Wisdom, and Charisma. It took me a while of re-rolling to get things like that. If I could get a warrior to have 18 in Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma, I would certainly start over. But again, it took me a long time of re-rolling to get all my characters the way I have them. I am feeling utter frustration with all this.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Gavindale
The Magister

If I absolutely have to start over, I guess I have no choice. Again, it took me a long while to have all my warriors and rogue at 17 or 18 in Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution, my cleric with 17/18 in Intellect and Wisdom, and my mage at 18 in Intellect, Wisdom, and Charisma.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
Shadow Stranger

You could just use Near Infinty or whatever to achieve the same results as the rolls.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Gavindale
The Magister

Whats is Near Infinity? I don't like using cheat codes or hacks of most any sort, I occasionally use them after I have completed a game just to see new things and/or anything that I had missed. Or to make the game more enjoyable (i.e. Neverwinter Nights).
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Shadow Stranger

Choc Re: Charisma and leader of the party

Near Infinity, Infinity Explorer and DLTCEP are game editors that let you alter save games or create mods for the given IE game. You will find them on more Infinity Engine-specific boards like Pocket Plane Group and Gibberlings3.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

You can also change the party formation! Some of them don't have the leader at the front.

Also, if you want you can switch back and forth. Have him at back in combat and in front when talking to people.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Gavindale
The Magister

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this forum, I have had some time away from IWD, but am back into it, using characters with overly ideal stats (and it took me a LONG time to get them). So, is it true that if the party diplomat has a Charisma of 18, and is the party leader, he/she can have more conversation choices that, if properly chosen, can award the party extra experience? And more opportune prices in shops? Anything else that can be attributed to high Charisma with the party leader?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I'm assuming this is IWD1, and not 2 (since you mentioned rolling)?

Charisma will get you cheaper prices, and you might get some extra dialogue options, but to be honest low charisma is not a deal breaker. IWD1 is more about combat than quests, so you won't be missing that much by playing with a low charisma leader.

Like I mentioned, if your charisma leader is a mage or a bard, you can choose a party formation that won't put him in front. Right-click on formation to get a much bigger list.