Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2002, 10:45 AM   #1
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Its really been troubling me, and now it time to decide. Im playing a solo sorcerer which means i have to be very careful while choosing spells, so should i get the death spell or not, 'cause it kills monsters with 60 hit points or less, is it worth it?
BTW what percentage of the monsters are actually having 60 or less HP.
Thanks in advance !
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:16 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

It's not worth it in the long run. It's great if you have a mage, but so many monsters are "Death Warded" or resistant, or have over 60 HP in the later parts of the game and in ToB, you'd be wasting it.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:17 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Death Spell kills targets with 8 HitDice and less. This includes...

Umber Hulks,
Minotaurs,
Trolls,
Sahuagins,
Kuo-Tuas,
Hobgoblins,
Orcs,
etc... ...

Ah, basically yes... it is worth it.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:21 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
It's not worth it in the long run. It's great if you have a mage, but so many monsters are "Death Warded" or resistant, or have over 60 HP in the later parts of the game and in ToB, you'd be wasting it.
-Saz
That is not really true. I was still using Death Spell well into ToB, and it affects those with 8HitDice or less, not <60Hp. Oh... and it dispels any summons as well, very useful against enemy mages.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 12:52 PM   #5
Cannibal Monkey
The Magister

yep, get it - tis invaluable when fighting the drow spider person, when doing the unseeing eye quest and most others - mainly when you're being attacked by millions of naff little beasties and you're taking damage in 1s simply because there's so many of them - example: kobolds in the sewers, one blast from this and just mop up the survivors and take out the rakshasa.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:16 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, but I must differ here. I have *never* yet dropped any creature with the Death spell. "Finger of Death" works a lot better (7th level Mage), if that's what you're thinking of, but the 6th level Death spell never works for me; by the time I get it, the opponents are so tough they withstand it.

Maybe I'm using it on the wrong ones (I *know* not to use it on undead, so don't go there!) or at the wrong times, but I've pretty well chucked it as a useless spell. There's far better ones out there, IMO, that do the job more efficiently.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:24 PM   #7
Kronostia
The Magister

Death spell rules if you ask [img]smile.gif[/img]

U can even use it against Vamps !
any fledged vampires out there go bye bye.
And i think that Deathspell is still useful when in ToB [img]smile.gif[/img]

. I have *never* yet dropped any creature with the Death spell. Sazerac ?!?!?! how can this be ?!?!? It works on nearly everything in SoA and very much in ToB...say that u r going through Athkala and u get jumped by bandits while going between Areas...a Deathspell kills all except 1-2 of them

[ 07-18-2002, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Kronostia ]
Old 07-18-2002, 01:32 PM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

The Death Spell is definetly worth having. It is really useful when you fight against big parties of weak or medium creatures, they just drop like flies. So yes, learn Death Spell as soon as possible! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:25 PM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Saz- ever tried it on Prebek ??
I find it VERY useful... almost as good as two fireballs

When you use it, target it about halfway between you and the things that charge you, or if your almost in melee range before they charge, target it in the middle of them...
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:32 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Actually, I've never killed anything with Death Spell either, simply because a Wand of Cloudkill does practically the same thing, AND keeps on hurtin' the ones it didn't kill.

And yes, Dundee, that's why I carry Wands, although Fire and Cloudkill are the only ones I really use. Plus, Cloudkill from Wands ignores the victims' Magic Resistance, great for use on Illithids or.....a certain big fight against lots and lots of Monks. Slap some Regenerative gear on a Tank, Cloudkill the hell out of the area, and PAARRR-TEEEE!