Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2001, 11:44 AM   #1
Ziroc

Ok, here is what I found out -- Talked with a guy that works at the server, he actually knew this site BEFORE he came to work at readyhosting!! Cool huh!!

Ok, What happened is we are transferring 40 GIGABYTES a month, so they had to 'cap' the bandwidth. He also said we were the 2nd busiest website they host!

He said that they don't do dedicated servers, but that he would talk with his boss and see what we can work out, maybe putting banners for them up (Where I run banners on Ironworks) or something else in return for no cap.

I DO understand why the had to cap it, usually any site that has 40 gig transfer costs $500 a MONTH! (I only had to pay $200 for a YEAR) so he said he would take the cap off and talk with his boss and for me to call him back tomorrow morning. -- also said I have 400MB Log files each day!! (HOLY CRAP)!!

This is one of the BAD things about being popular..

So post away!! we'll see what they say tomorrow, k? If they say no, I'll just move the site to my friends.. I've backed up all the files, so I'm ready anyway. we'll see!

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-28-2001, 11:52 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

WAHOOO! Hey, sounds like we are just TOO good for our own good, Z! Popular site is a GOOD thing, right?! Or so we should think!
You think the new arrangement at readyhosting is going to hold us? I sure hope so! So much work for you, though! Whew...you need a vacation! Take that lovely new wife of yours someplace romantic and fun! Relax a bit, or maybe whup ToB again...*giggle*!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Conan

Ziroc I am intrested to know how you backed up all those files..? Do you have mega hard drives,10,000 zip discs.both?? HOLY CRAP! Even the bat computer would have a grinding noise emitting from it! Thanks again!
Conan

Old 06-28-2001, 12:01 PM   #4
Lord Shield

YAHOO!!!!!! We're back - ~hugs Cloudy~ - YIPPEEEE!!!!!!

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-28-2001, 12:03 PM   #5
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Hooray for now

Hope Readyhosting can continue to work with you on this Ziroc! If you are the 2nd busiest site they host, I would think they would be willing to do everything they can to keep you on their site!

And I can't believe you beat ToB already Do you ever sleep

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Old 06-28-2001, 12:13 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
YAHOO!!!!!! We're back - ~hugs Cloudy~ - YIPPEEEE!!!!!!

Teehee! I just love this place! Long Live the Ironworks!
*hugs Shieldsy back and throws kisses to the whole board*

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 06-28-2001, 12:22 PM   #7
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
Ziroc I am intrested to know how you backed up all those files..? Do you have mega hard drives,10,000 zip discs.both?? HOLY CRAP! Even the bat computer would have a grinding noise emitting from it! Thanks again!
Conan
I just downloaded them to my HD, and I'll pull the HD and connect it to the other server and transfer D: to C:

I just found out that the entire forum is now 800MB!!! (Not including my website), for a total of 1.1gig. WHEW!

Old 06-28-2001, 12:25 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I just downloaded them to my HD, and I'll pull the HD and connect it to the other server and transfer D: to C:

I just found out that the entire forum is now 800MB!!! (Not including my website), for a total of 1.1gig. WHEW!

We're happy posters, Z! And you have the best place in the ether here! I even love the backgrounds, colors and format better than other places I've seen!

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 06-28-2001, 12:51 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Ok, here is what I found out -- Talked with a guy that works at the server, he actually knew this site BEFORE he came to work at readyhosting!! Cool huh!!

Ok, What happened is we are transferring 40 GIGABYTES a month, so they had to 'cap' the bandwidth. He also said we were the 2nd busiest website they host!

He said that they don't do dedicated servers, but that he would talk with his boss and see what we can work out, maybe putting banners for them up (Where I run banners on Ironworks) or something else in return for no cap.

I DO understand why the had to cap it, usually any site that has 40 gig transfer costs $500 a MONTH! (I only had to pay $200 for a YEAR) so he said he would take the cap off and talk with his boss and for me to call him back tomorrow morning. -- also said I have 400MB Log files each day!! (HOLY CRAP)!!

This is one of the BAD things about being popular..

So post away!! we'll see what they say tomorrow, k? If they say no, I'll just move the site to my friends.. I've backed up all the files, so I'm ready anyway. we'll see!
Well, IMO, if they were "capping" you, the least they could have done was tell you they were doing this, rather than for you (and the rest of us) to find out by being hit with it in the face. (grrrrrrrrrr)

However, it sounds like we may have a workable solution here. 40 Gigs a month...gheeeeeez!

(MODERATOR MODE "ON")

Does everyone now understand why our Ziroc wants to cut down on the "SPAM" posts? We're not just a bunch of "meanies" trying to kill everyone's good time. Too many posts = no forum. See?

(MODERATOR MODE "OFF")

Anyway, Ziroc, I hope it works for you! At least you have everything backed up and ready to move otherwise. Whatever decision you make, we're behind you.

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 03:48 PM   #10
Moiraine
Anubis

Ziroc, maybe we could all pay a little subscription, to help you cope with the expenses of this Board ?

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...