Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Getting ready for a new game of Wiz 8 and am thinking of trying a mod which I've never before done. I'd like something that increases the difficulty a bit, so am leaning towards DS 3.0 rather than Flamestryke's mod (is this an accurate conception?). I'm looking for any advice on race/class combinations. Nothing too spoilerish, but just enough so I can use the really cool items that drop rather than kicking myself for rolling the wrong combination only to discover that I've gimped myself.

Any help is appreciates.
leptomeninges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Flamestryke has a lot of new items in it. DS 3.0 has a lot of new items and monsters and a side plot. In DS 3.0 you will want a priest and or lord/valk. There are better axes in the game as well as some pretty awsome maces and throwing weopons. Divinity, Alchemy, engeneering, artifacts and mythology all play rolls in new stuff. There is an awsome dagger you can make for your lord. I'll just say this, it all starts with a rusty blade. Any more hints and I would be spoiling you. DS. is like playing a whole new game. Some of the battles are large and take a while, and it is a little more buggy than flamestryke but By now most game stopping bugs are out. Both are worth playing however.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct in thinking that DS 3.0 is more difficult than Flamestryke's mod? Having played vanilla Wiz 8 several times, I'm looking for a way to up the difficulty a bit. Thanks again
Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

A lot more difficult, it truely is like playing a whole new game.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks again for the reply. One more question, is COC still race restricted to faerie?

Currently planning the following:

Felpurr ninja
Dracon Lord
Human Monk
Mook Gadgeteer
Hobbit Bard
Faerie Bishop
Old 10-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I'm not sure but there is a way to uncurse some of the cursed items if your divinity is high enough, and sometimes it changes who can use it. The first item you want to uncurse is under the bank.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I would probably change the monk to a priest or Alchemist depending on how you build your bishop. You will want a high divinity and
I'm not sure the Lord will develope fast enough. I did have success with a priest up to 10th level and then changed him to fighter and it worked out pretty good. But I still had a raw priest in the party also. You may want to try a mage also because they get to use all spells, but can't use spellbooks. They are a little tricky but fun to play.

If you want to see some of the items you can make go here. There are no stats but it gives you some idea.

http://vnboards.ign.com/wizardry_8_s...1290971/p1/?12

[ 10-21-2006, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]
Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks very much for the reply. Regarding mages, I had initially planned to include one, but subsequently decided against it. I've read in several spots that mages end up with too few spell points with the new system. Do you disagree? Regardless, thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Your right that's the tricky part, knowing what spells to take and when to use them. Loading them up with mana regenerating items is very important. I did find I had to be very careful when to cast a spell from 15th level on. In the beginning they are devestating however.