Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2003, 05:44 AM   #1
Mr Creosote
The Magister

I'm a big fan of W&W and yet I cannot get it to play on my new XP system.

I've trawled through the tech tips and many threads that mention the problem and downloaded and installed the RAD Video Tools codecs as recommended. I've also looked around the net for a free codec solution other than that.
All to no avail, the game simply will not start and bombs out with the codec error message.
I saw a thread that recommended editing the ini file to remove the start-up movie refence but I am blessed if I can find an ini file anywhere in W&W.
I'm stuck!!
Gotta get my W&W fix!

So, any ideas? Anyone have a definitive solution?
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Mr. Creosote. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I have not got a clue as to what you can do to get the game working properly. But knowing this forum and the people visiting here I am quite confident that you will soon have the help you need. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Arrow

I suppose it's a pity that the first two people to reply to this post are unable to help...
I'm sure your problem will be sorted out soon enough. I can't wait to hear about your adventures in the Gael Serran.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

I'm not sure what your problem is. I take it you're having troubles with the town shops? Or?

Well the problem with Windows XP and 2000 is that they can't play compressed video files by default, they don't have the codecs that earlier versions have. Now there is a workaround for this in the tech thread. Check the "Can't enter buildings in towns" entry. That will bypass the need for codecs since you uncompress and decode the files.

Otherwise from what I have been able to figure out the video files in W&W are encoded with Cram Microsoft video 1. And that's a little surprise since that particular codec allegedly should come with ALL win32 versions (Windows 98-XP). Clearly that's not the case since the cram codec is listed as outdated nowadays. Try using Virtualdub abd saving the video files as 'old format avi'. That will make the files playable on Windows XP. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-15-2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
macoati
Manshoon

I had roughly the same problem with XP (and my outdated vid-card).

The fix for this was VirtualDub. You need to uncompress the vid files in the townmask folder of W&W.

Do yourself a favor and make a folder on your desktop (or just copy/paste the townmask folder in W&W to your desktop) and copy/paste the avi files from the townmask folder to this new one. Name the new one to whatever you like.

Then: download VirtualDub. After you have vdub (shorthand) open it. From the command menu of vdub...choose File - open - then surf to your folder on your desktop with the townmask file copies and open the first one. Once you have the file open go back to File and choose Save As Old Format AVI. The name of the file should be the same as the original...then click OK (it may ask you if you want to save over the 'old' file...if so, click yes or ok or whatever). This will create a 32 megabyte AVI file. Repeat this process with the five other files.

Once you have all 6 files saved as the 'old format avi' you can copy all six files and paste them into your townmask folder inside of W&W. This should cure your issue. You may have other issues associated with your vid card but this should at least allow the game to load and let you enter/exit all applicable areas in the towns.

If you want to save a copy of the 'original' avi files inside W&W just make another copy of them and put them somewhere.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2003, 04:51 AM   #6
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Thanks for the suggestion.
Tried it.
Didn't fix the problem.

The problem is that as soon as I start the game it bombs out with a message saying I don't have the required Intel Codec.
I understand that the required Codec is not supplied with XP.

I have searched the web and found that I can BUY the Codec but I don't see why I should, after all this isnt some ancient Dos game.

How do I bypass the requirement for this Codec?
SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:22 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

OK let me see if I understand you correctly.

A) DO you get the blue image with Kerah?
B) It returns you to desktop when it's about to play the intro?

Have you tried putting '-nointro' after the command in your short cut? Don't know if that will work.

Otherwise the ini file is called SSPATH.DAT. Check if there's anything you can change in there. Try changing the movie directory to something else. You won't get any movies but perhaps the game will run.

Other than that try downloading Quicktime. Indeo 4 is fully integrated with that, if it hasn't changed to Indeo 5. I believe Indeo 3.2 is still freeware if you can get your hands on that.

Also search your harddrive for 'ir41_32.ax'. If you find that file please post again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll post more when I can come up with some more. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 05:27 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Some more thoughts. Some codec packs, like Nimo or Tsunami, may have the indeo codec. Otherwise I found the 3.2 and 4.5 free here. Note that only the indeo 5 codec costs money since Ligos, the bastards , bought the codec from Intel.

[ 09-16-2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 09-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
macoati
Manshoon

Alright... so the avi files are expanded and it's dying to the desktop. What is the specific error message? or do you not get enough time to see it? If you are quick enough, you can do an ALT-Print Screen and then paste the print screen into a word document...don't know if this works with wordpad or notepad ... so you can actually see the whole message.

Your system is obviously XP (home or professional?)
your vid card is? and Radeon? (model/MB/etc...)
RAM?
(basic info here, please)
harddrive?
CD-Rom?
Direct X version?

hmmm...what else do we need to consider here? Oh, have you set the compatibility modes to W95 ... W98...etc?

What resolution are you playing at?

Do you have software or hardware video enabled?

Did you patch the game?

Have you tried a second install over the first?

hmmm... Willow, do you have any other ideas on what might be useful to know about the system/problem.

I'm remembering my first installation of W&W. It was on ME (piece of *&*%$ OS). I was not able to actually run the program. I did not get error msgs at all...just black screen with the W&W pointer that would move for about 1 sec. Then the crash. Could not alt-tab out or even taskmanager "switch to". When I installed on newly installed XP (same machine, just changed OS) I was able to run the program... this last is just brainstorming and trying to remember the things I tried under ME... vdub fixed my town issue and the patch covered the rest?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:05 PM   #10
Mr Creosote
The Magister

WILLOWIX

Yes, I get the blue screen with Kerah then it bombs out to desktop and I get a Windows error message box with the following:

INDEO VIDEO PLAYBACK
The program you are trying to run requires a current Indeo codec.
To obtain a current driver that is compatible with this version of Windows, please contact the manufacturer at http://indeo.ligos.com.

I went to the free Codec link but the link itself has no content when the file is downloaded. I dont understand, the file shows 1.8 meg in size but when I try to unzip it it shows empty???

No, I don't have 'ir41_32.ax' on my hard drive (is that good or bad?!!!)

Couldn't find anything that I could change in SSPATH.DAT

Tried the "-nointro" - didnt work.

Installed Quicktime, that didnt help.

Errr - next?!!

Thanks for your help.

[ 09-16-2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Mr Creosote ]