View Single Post
Old 08-12-2001, 07:32 AM   #2
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Now that's my kind of tactics. I don't think they're cheesy.

The trap line is a standard proceedure for us less muscle bound thieves, and we generally set them as we move forward through the dungeons. If we have to fall back, the trap line can keep us alive. I have 2 thieves in my party, one assassin and a plain thief. That means - lots of traps!

Travelling invisible has some advantages over stealthing. You can scan for traps while invisible- and you can't stealth and do it at the same time. If you get the thief invisible, he can scout for BOTH monsters and traps at the same time. Additionally, if you take points in detect illusion skill, your hidden thief can often neutralise a lot of enemy spells as they are cast. The Hide in shadows skill is not anywhere as useful as the Move Silent skill.

I usually back up the thief with a Ranger - an archer is the best. He can travel stealthed, and if they spot enemies, the archer can snipe from the darkness with his longbow at selected enemies. If the enemy charges him, the thief can follow, to land a backstab.

When it comes to backstabbing, I've found that you have to pay attention to egress. Once you fire that backstab, you generally have to leave fast. Boots of speed is essential for a fast getaway, and summonned monsters make a great distraction. You can use a potion of invisibility to hide again and get off a second backstab, useful if you HAVE to get a kill on a particular enemy. Retreating down the trapline is a great tactic.