Thread: Puzzle 10
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 05:26 PM   #13
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box Lavi - it helped me pass 3rd year Fluid mechanics [img]smile.gif[/img] . We had a question that was posed about beig a new starter in a company and having to determine if a flow meter was in error with some pressure and flow data. I couldn't recall the formulas I needed to use, so I used a combination of dimesional analysis to determine two dimensionless groups and linear regression (basic engineering precepts) and plotted the data so that a slope equalled one equation and the intercept the other then solved the two simultaneous equations I was left with.

It turned out that nearly everyone died on that question. Even using the correct methods it was unbelievably complex. There were only 2 correct answers out of a class of 60. My answer was one of them, and for getting it right and being so out of the box inventive I got bonus marks (ie 150% for that question). Just as well - I made a hash of the easy question and would have failed if the professor hadn't been impressed with "out of the box". Employers value "out of the box" thinking, and it is on our company's performace appraisals.