View Single Post
Old 09-13-2001, 01:33 PM   #101
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
This is in response to Donut also

First of all to make the statement that the majority of Americans are uninformed of world affairs, just b/c you have met a few Americans or have traveled to America is absolutely ridiculous...that is why I made the sarcastic comment above. I have been to England and throughout Europe and have met many, many people through my travels, and I am willing to say, for every American that you can find that is uninformed or does not care about world affairs, that I can find one person in Europe also!

My sister-in-laws boyfriend thought that Minnesota was a province in Canada

A flat-mate of my friend, that I stayed with in London, asked if I could see the Rocky Mountains from my apartment when I told him I lived in a highrise in Minnepolis

Again you cannot base your 'majority' opinion of a nation on the basis of having met a handful of Americans...likewise neither can I for Europe!

And Kaz, knowing what is going on in the rest of Europe is not the same as knowing about what is going on in the rest of the world! I could say the same thing about New Yorkers knowing about what is going on in California...while they are states rather than countries, their distance is far greater and their peoples are probably almost as diverse!

Oops - Now I remember that I was going to add that we aren't well enough informed about Asia, Africa, South America and the rest I guess I forgot. BTW I lived in America for six years, my observations are based on the people I met there. And - lets argue the thing about diversity of culture between states as opposed to countries another time, ok? I'm afraid I have to go now.

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe