View Single Post
Old 02-26-2002, 02:56 PM   #81
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Hey guys, what exactly does this server need? Do we need network hardware also? I know I could build a pretty darn kickin system for $800. Do you need some locations for some good deals Z? Maybe a server requires a bit more hardwae than a PC?

Sir K [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't know for sure exactly what Z is shooting for but for a server (as opposed to a desk top system) You are going to want the biggest fastest Disks (possibly RAID) you can snag, You want LOADS and LOADS of memory, You also have to have a good backup solution so that you can back your info up, and if you really want to balance traffic you should have 2 or more interfaces to do I/O to the network, one of the things you really dont need to be top of the line is the graphics processor and monitor. Servers are not usualy displaying graphics to their own screens. Also in a server you should seriously think about multi-processor systems....a properly done servers is more expensive than something you would just use for single player games...usually [img]smile.gif[/img]