View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 03:40 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

1) Depends. I wouldn't advise a shorter race (even though they're cool too) as a longsword would take both hands to wield and greatswords are out of the question. Unless you are going for 10/10 or 11/9 you're better off not taking an elf because of the XP penalties that gets you. A half-elf shouldn't be underrated, but I think human is a better choice. Dwarven thiefs... just don't fit the image.
The question is, do you want to have a thief that can hold its own in combat, or a fighter that can pick locks and disarm traps?
Thieves can engage in meele combat after they reach level 10 or so rather well, but until that time using missile weapons is safest. With five or so fighter levels you'll have few problems.
Fighters only need to take four or five thief levels in which points are spent exclusively on open locks (although a fighter with a sword that does extra elemental damage, coupled with (improved) power attack makes minced meat out of most containers and doors) and the trap buisness. In this case, with thief class bonusses, a 14/6 combination would probably work best.
In any case, taking at least one level in fighter will give you access to most weapons and armour, lots of feats for only one level.
But, your character won't be able to do that as an elf (actually, he will, it just takes longer) so I would advise taking a human.

2) If you're going thief-heavy, take items like the feyduster. Daze and stun are invaluable if you are playing a semi-fighter class. A mace of disruption is useful against undead, who cannot be stunned. Later on, take whatever hurts most and allows for senak attacks.
If you're going for the fighter, take whatever hurts more. Sneak attacks are a bonus, as is daze.

3) In the offhand, take something smaller. For example, a longsword in one hand and shortsword in the other. Cold Iron +1 and Feyduster +1 are a combination which'll be availiable quite soon. If you are thinking of dual-wielding, perhaps you should try a ranger/thief rather than a fighter/thief. At ranger level 6, you'll even get a free animal.

4) Probably human, although elf, half-elf and dwarf are also good options. Small folk can work, I had a 14/6 (planned to have, I got to 11/5 by the end) halfling thief/ranger who was doing rather well with Linu's help.

5) Intelligence allows for more skill points and is therefore always welcome. Charisma helps your persuade skills, but high cha is not a neccesity. Neither is a high Wisdom. Constitution is quite helpful, but primary stats are strength and dexterity. If you plan on wearing a lot of armour, forget about dexterity and the bonus it gives to your thieving skills. Strength is always welcome, not in the least because it allows you to carry more loot.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote