View Single Post
Old 10-14-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

Ok, a couple more questions. Though I should mention, everything I know I learned from GameBanshee, and I just read this:

Single class thieves suck, or they utterly rock if you like using high level traps. Thieving skills are virtually useless in ToB. The 7th level thief abilities of Imoen were quite sufficient to detect and disarm traps, and even usually to pick locks, though all of my game of ToB. For single-classed thieves, Use Any Item and Assassinate are just partial catchup to warriors. Partial. If you take a Swashbuckler, the THAC0 and AC bonuses do continue for a fair bit of time, though. The THAC0 ceases to matter at high level, but the AC bonuses actually can take you beyond the -10 AC or so range that Fighters usually reach, into the real where your AC actually begins to stop hits from the tougher enemies. So Swashbucklers can actually end up noticeably harder to hit than Fighters.

:end quote

I get the impression from this guide that the write is partial to kensai-duals (mage and thief). I think it's impossible to find an impartial guide...but anywhos. Furthermore, the guide suggests using the use any item tactic to let your kensai thief wear armor and other restricted items. Unless I'm mistaken, this falls under the high cheese tactic list, no? And besides, if I choose a kensai-thief, then I can't use a bow, and there will be times I'm going to want to hang out in the back firing arrows I would think, no?

but anywhos...

1. Is use any item as cool as it sounds? I figure that with scribe scrolls could make the F/T a somewhat useful backup magic user, no?

2. Considering that I'll have Jah, Vic, Imoen, and Minsc in my party, I'm guessing my best bet would be to put grandmastery in longswords, no? And maybe a few *'s in dual wield?

3. As is, until I have Imoen back, I only have 3 other people in my party, for a 4th with this party setup, I think Aerie would be a solid addition, a good temporary mage until I get Imoen and solid cleric backup. What do you think?

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by StarVid (edited 10-14-2001).]
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote