View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Re: Dungeon Seige III

Yeah I dunno LOL. Getting daunted now. Played for about an hour tonight and just got frustrated at all the frikken key controls. They did have an update recently wherein you can now make the keys what you want, but still there are so many.

From the manual, just to give you an idea:

Left Mouse - Move/Attack/Interact
Right Mouse - Use selected ability
Mouse Wheel - zoom
Cntl QWE (what?) - Empower Ability
Tab - change stance form - magic
Shift - hold ground
space - defensive mode
Space plus Left Mouse - Dodge
R - Quest Guide
D - Equip
T - Items
G - Lore
B - Abilities
S - Quest Journal
A - Minimap
Left Cntrl - Quick Pick up

These are the defaults from the Manual, which you can only download the pdf from Steam. You can only seem to play the game through Steam, and it took tonight 15 minutes to load the game (although it could have been because it was also loading the update). Plus the Equip and Items options are confusing as each one takes you to a different screen, and each one has different selections to scroll through. Again, you can change the playing keys now with the update, but for me still too much and the menus are the same confusion.

And there is no "paper doll" screen wherein you can see your character, and all the items which include everything (weapons, items, etc.) all in one area. Now you have to click on each category to see what you have equipped, and it is so far to me difficult to figure out what I have equipped and then there is another button which seems to show new things you have gotten, but is confusing as to how to equip these things while comparing what you already have equipped, as those things are located in a different menu. The older DS's were easy in that your items were all in one place, and you could just drag them onto your paper doll. You also have to get right up to dropped items, then hit "E" to pick them up, or hit the "Left Control" to pick up all. But then you have to go through all this confusion to see what you have by clicking on all the categories. I am assuming going into this menu to to look through all these item categories pauses the game so you aren't getting your arse handed back to you by the enemies, But I haven't actually tried to do it with enemies around so not sure on that.

I also don't see a save option in the menu, so figure it must autosave, but only at certain points I am thinking. I say this because I got through a quest, then when I read all the conversation texts after said quest, I went to leave the game and it said "Are you sure you want to leave?" and something like I won't have things saved otherwise. So no telling if, when I return to the game, where I will continue from. It obviously won't be where I exited the game.

The thing I always liked about Dungeon Seige is the easy way to just go through and fight. Clicking on the mouse buttons were all you needed to know except for accessing certain abilities. So many keyboard buttons now. I just feel I am moving along OK, but it takes a lot longer to do anything because of that. And the mouse movement re the camera panning is slow, and I have a large widescreen now so it takes longer to get to the edge of the screen to do that. I wanted to use the D and A keys to camera pan, but then I needed to pick buttons to move left and right, so used them for that. I suppose I could use other buttons to camera pan, but that would to me only make things more cumbersome. I also can't seem to hover my mouse button over any icons on the screen to see what they are and access them (not that there are many, I cannot find any Journal, inventory, abilities icons so far). I liked the other DS's where you could do that to access maps, inventory, etc. Just hover, click, look, pick from all the different little icon(s) all together.

Maybe I am still to new to the game and haven't figured out how to do those things. All I know, is usually Dungeon Siege is pretty easy and I do not find this one anywhere near as easy to play. And since it is in real time, blah. I know a lot of MMORGs are like that.

I think I will just wait until we try our multigame and see how that goes early this coming week. Just don't have any of the usual "wanna play again" feeling right now re my single player game at this point. I just prefer the mouse clicking and having icons to click on for everything rather than memorizing a bunch of key controls. And again, I like the inventory to be all in once place so I can just scroll through it all and drag stuff on the paper doll.

Perhaps I am just too old school and used to easy playing rather than power playing where you have to play so much and so often you have all those buttons memorized eventually because of the sheer amount of hours you put into it daily.

Again though, graphics are great, gotta at least say that.

Will update later, maybe I'll change my mind in time.

Reality Show Recaps

Last edited by Ladyzekke; 07-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote