View Single Post
Old 10-08-2001, 03:39 PM   #12
tracey
Manshoon

hmmmm, a tricky problem. i think, as an atheist, that capitalism is pretty bad as it's practiced - profit and the exploitation of others'. as a person brought up as a christian, i found that too many christians felt that as long as they could turn a blind eye to the world's poverty by throwing a few quid at it every now and again, their concience was salved.

i often would look at the houses and cars owned by christians of my acquaintance and thought, hmmmm, i don't see you making any effort to cast off the trammels of materialistic possesions. christ taught trust in one's creator to care for them as he cared for the birds. most people these days, trust money above all else as a solid guarantee of comfort.

on the other hand, each of us has to live and provide for ourselves and others' in a purely practical way which calls for the earning and spending of money. a roof, clothing, food. however, to take the basics and be content is surely enough for anyone. it's the grasping and chasing of money that is obnoxious, particulalry for christians as their bible does dictate certain basics.

so, all rich christians are hypocrites and shouold give away to deserving causes the excess that they posess and treat other human beings as equally deserving of the basics.

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati